Ryan comfortable?

gjlaf

I have watched as many games as possible this season and I was wondering if you guys think he is more comfortable in the pocket or outside of it?

I am not a stat guru like alot of you so if someone has those stat's please feel free to post them.

From what I have seen he seems pretty comfortable either way and I don't notice any big drop off in his accuracy, but I would like your opinions!

Def. inside the pocket. He steps up nearly every throw. Sometimes he throws fading away from the LOS, but thats usually against the blitz and he needs to buy time.

If he were more comfortable outside the pocket, he would try to move left and right outside the tackle box far more often. Most everytime Ryan moves outside the pocket, it is because he has stepped up in the pocket and not found an open reciever.

By no means is he bad outside the pocket. Remember the should-have-been game winning toss against Denver? The guys is great both ways. I just think he is looking to stay in the pocket, because thats what a passer is supposed to do. It keeps the passing game "on time".

Def. inside the pocket. He steps up nearly every throw. Sometimes he throws fading away from the LOS, but thats usually against the blitz and he needs to buy time.

If he were more comfortable outside the pocket, he would try to move left and right outside the tackle box far more often. Most everytime Ryan moves outside the pocket, it is because he has stepped up in the pocket and not found an open reciever.

By no means is he bad outside the pocket. Remember the should-have-been game winning toss against Denver? The guys is great both ways. I just think he is looking to stay in the pocket, because thats what a passer is supposed to do. It keeps the passing game "on time".

Makes sense and staying in the pocket would give him more blindside protection I think.

As a side note, Matt Ryan is a master of the back shoulder throw.

Watch on third downs. When we run the quick slants, or 10 yard digg routes.. he always protects his WRs by throwing the stick back shoulder passes. That keeps your WRs from running into mean and nasty LBs and safties who want to kill your guys.

That cannot be emphasized enough.