Todd McClure should get Pro Bowl consideration per AJC

gazoo

Falcons ready for big NFC South weekend

By D. Orlando Ledbetter | Friday, December 5, 2008, 09:53 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Just finished looking at the Pro Bowl ballot on NFL.Com.

Fan voting for the Pro Bowl concludes on Tuesday. Falcons players, because of the lack of nationally televised games this season, will likely need a bigger voter turnout to push them over the top.

Fan voting counts for one-third of the total, along with voting from players and coaches. NFL players and coaches vote on Thursday and Friday.

The online ballot is in alphabetical order so Roddy White is at the bottom of the receiver list.

Running back is going to be competitive for Michael Turner with Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson, Washington’s Clinton Portis, Dallas’ Marion Barber and New York’s Brandon Jacobs. You get to vote for three.

Matt Ryan has a shot at quarterback. You get to pick three.

John Abraham should be a lock at defensive end with his 12.5 sacks, second in the NFC. Dallas’ DeMarcus Ware leads the league with 15 sacks, but he’s listed as an outside linebacker.

Center Todd McClure should get some consideration. He hasn’t given up a sack this season and has anchored the resurgent offensive line.

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall and tight end Alge Crumpler were the last Falcons to make the Pro Bowl back after the 2006 season.

The Falcons didn’t enter the season with a national profile, but there are still getting some national attention on the pre-game shows.

Pam Oliver from Fox was at the Branch on Wednesday working on a Falcon related package.

Our buddy Steve Wyche, NFL.Com Senior Writer, stopped by to do a piece on Roddy White, where White credits Joe Horn and the Petrinos — Bobby AKA as “Mr. Happy” and Paul - for saving his career. Here’s the link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Also, it looks like Tampa Bay is taking the Falcons pretty seriously according to Chris Harry’s Inside the NFL column in the Orlando Sentinel, “The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will play their first Monday night game in more than two years next week when they go on the road to face the Carolina Panthers. That means the Bucs will get an extra day to prepare._Jon Gruden and his staff put it to good use Monday. They began advance work on the Atlanta Falcons.Seriously.” Here’s the link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/foot...,7485139.column

The Falcons can help their Pro Bowl bids by beating the Saints in the Superdome for the first time since 2002.

With defensive end Will Smith out and the Saints on the smallish side at defensive end, the Falcons should be able to run the ball with The Burner.

The key will come down to containing the Saints passing attack again. I don’t know if the Falcons can get another 15 pass breakups, three interceptions and one sack on Saints QB Drew Brees. But it will take another mercurial effort like that to pull this one off. Also, Reggie Bush will be playing his second game since knee surgery. He didn’t play in the previous game.

A big thing to watch for is if rookie Thomas DeCoud has to start at free safety. I expect Erik Coleman to be ready, but if he can’t go all out with his quadriceps contusion, DeCoud will get to show his talents.

Should be a big NFC South weekend, with Tampa Bay and Carolina playing on Monday Night Football. A lot of Falcons fans wanted to know how they should be rooting for in this one. Carolina is the team to root for. Theh Falcons have a win over the Panthers and need Tampa Bay to come back to the pack. Carolina also has a tougher schedule down the stretch with games against Denver, the New York Giants and New Orleans.

Who are you voting for in the Pro Bowl? Which Falcons deserve to make the trip to Honolulu? Ready for Sunday’s big tilt in the Big Easy? Can the Falcons basically eliminate the Saints from the playoff race? Who needs to step up to stop Reggie Bush in this?

Also, I plan on getting to the Dome early on Sunday and posting a pre-game report and will try to get to your questions at halftime.

McClure continues to prove his detractors wrong. As earl as this camp, the McClure detractors were certain Alex Stepanovich was singed becuase the coaches saw how bad McClure has been, yet the coaches have done nothingf but praise McClure, just as al coaching staffs going all the way back to the man that drafted McCure, Dan Reeves

Dan Reeves was all about a power rushing game, and Reeves let Robbie Tobeck go in FA and made McClure his starter after seeng how good he was.

McClure has stood the test of time, he's started 107 straight games, he is one of the fewest penalized starting OL in the NFL year in and year out and hasn't given up a sack all season.

Here's some kudos for a player that has been hayted on for so long, yet proves hgis critics wrong year in and year out!

McClure should definately earn some consideration. I'm a firm believer that that the QB should make the pass protection look better than it really is, and Matt Ryan does that with his calls at the line, pocket presence, and his quick release. McClure makes the calls too and he's been playing solid as the veteran leader on the line. I would say that guys like Olin Kreutz, Matt Birk, and Jeff Faine would deserve a spot over McClure, but in no way does that take away from McClure's performance this year. I hope he makes it as an alternate at the very least.

McClure should definately earn some consideration. I'm a firm believer that that the QB should make the pass protection look better than it really is, and Matt Ryan does that with his calls at the line, pocket presence, and his quick release. McClure makes the calls too and he's been playing solid as the veteran leader on the line. I would say that guys like Olin Kreutz, Matt Birk, and Jeff Faine would deserve a spot over McClure, but in no way does that take away from McClure's performance this year. I hope he makes it as an alternate at the very least.

good post my friend. I am hapy to see the AJC say he deserves consideration as it is a sign of respect of his play. I've always known he;s been a ood player, despite all the over the top criticism he's had over the years here while some fans blame him for the poor play of those around him..

Pro Bowl is MACRO Hacked and its not Happening!

This thread is about the recognition McClure has already received from the AJC, it has nothng to do with whether or not he ultiately gets voted in. Our team has only played 1 nationally televised gae which I agree with you severaly hurts his chances..

Todd has not only done a great job out there on that line being the anchor in the center, so to speak, but he's helping out the right side too. Todd can move some defenders. He's a cheerleader and a solid force all rolled up into one funny guy. I love the dude - hope he gets some recognition.

Todd has not only done a great job out there on that line being the anchor in the center, so to speak, but he's helping out the right side too. Todd can move some defenders. He's a cheerleader and a solid force all rolled up into one funny guy. I love the dude - hope he gets some recognition.

ep...he's a leader and a pile mover.

It's humorous how wheh we were at the top of the NFL in rushing some used to always blame him for the pocket collapasing in pass protection and back then I was saying it was the OGs and LT.....now they we have a LT and OGs, the McClure detractors now say he's always been fine i pass protecton and their issue with him has always been the run....yet we are near the top of the NFL in rushing, so how is it they come up with these crazy and inconsistent positions that make no sense?

ep...he's a leader and a pile mover.

It's humorous how wheh we were at the top of the NFL in rushing some used to always blame him for the pocket collapasing in pass protection and back then I was saying it was the OGs and LT.....now they we have a LT and OGs, the McClure detractors now say he's always been fine i pass protecton and their issue with him has always been the run....yet we are near the top of the NFL in rushing, so how is it they come up with these crazy and inconsistent positions that make no sense?

Because logic has nothing to do with it. Sometimes I fight tooth and nail and sometimes I just let it go. Keep at it though - you are a warrior.

Cool just checking. Todd is doing a good job laying all jokes aside, But i thinks it's a team effort from all the guys.

Yep, McClure has played better (except for short yardage and goal line because he just lacks the strength to move a huge fatty at DT). We aren't seeing a lot of delayed-MLB blitzes as we have in the past that exposed a problem in protection. As you point out, a lot has to do with the coaching staff changing the scheme to maximize the output of the players. Things like cutting the pass catching TE to bring in TE's that are mostly blockers, using linemen as "tackle eligible" players to have an extra blocker, keeping a RB in the backfield constantly to help block, having a QB that gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds or less, having a QB that is already recognized as being very good at blitz recognition. McClure himself said that a lot of the credit actually belongs to Ryan because he's recognizing the blitz which forces teams to pull back on blitzing and cover.

All of these things tied together is why our sack number has decreased so drastically...

Vet McClure effort is what makes him one of the best,

he is also a Leader in more ways than one!

Here is Turner Giving Him Props

340x.jpg

I have probably voted for him around 30+ times,

but I just read on the Redskins Board

not to vote any other players at the Postion,

like U can vote for 2 Centers,

well dont,

only McClure!

A Vote for another player cancels out Your Vote!

Any Way, Thats to bad about the 30 Matt Birk Votes.

Do it for all postions too,

Like only Vote for Matt Ryan, no Tony Romo/Eli Votes!

As fast as Forney fell out of favor with the new regime, maybe he was the true weak link on the line. It only takes one guy on the line to screw up the chemistry! Also, if the guard does not do his job it may look like the C missed an assignment.

Todd McClure is a Breast!! :D

QUOTE FOR TRUTH

Blalock was horrible his rookie year as well, and prior to that Matt Lehr could not have blocked an old lady coming at him with a shopping cart. So over the last several years McClure has played beside OG's that sucked. We can't forget that Forney had 2 excellent years before his shoulders starting poppng out of joint a few years back. Forney really went downhill starting in 2006.

Another factor i all this was that we could almost never leave Wayne Gandy or Kevin Shaffer alone in pass protection on 3rd and long. We alsmost always had to provide an extra blocker such as a RB or FB to those LTs, and defensive coordinators KNEW IT. Therefore the defensive coordinators knew the A gaps were most likely going to have one less blocker on the inslde tohandle blitzers coming up the middle so this was the place to send blitzing FS, SS, and LBs. With bad WRs back then that could be handled with single coverage, the defensive coordinators would put 8,9 and 10 men in the box on passing downs, and simply overpower the middle. Defensive coordinators could disguise blitzes better becuase they could stack the line (again, due to poor WR play)

McClure in no way could have prevented this by himself and many times ater games we'd see threads blaming him single-handedly for allowing pressure and sacks up the A and B gaps. I always said wait unti McClure gets some real players around him and was blasted and ridiculed by some here for defending McClure..

This year, it finally happened and it's easy t see today that McClure was NEVER our problem. McClure was HANDS DOWN part of the solution. He's done an outstanding job of leading these young OL and we all hear he quotes from them giving McClure kudos.

Therefore, McClure always