CB vs DT Discussion

DurtyBirds02

Alright I have seen some debating for a while over if its smarter to get a DT or CB in this offseason. I am just curious to see what everyones take is on this subject

I explained on another thread that my answer is hands down a DT.

Are we talking either draft or FA? I don't see why with both of those options available we can't get both. We need both for sure. We need someone who doesn't have a lot of miles on them either way. I'm leaning toward DT. That's what's missing...remember how disruptive Rod Coleman used to be?

Are we talking either draft or FA? I don't see why with both of those options available we can't get both. We need both for sure. We need someone who doesn't have a lot of miles on them either way. I'm leaning toward DT. That's what's missing...remember how disruptive Rod Coleman used to be?

I mean more along the lines of what is more important to address. I def think we can get both, but my argument was that I thought it was more important to get a better DT than a better CB. DT's make CB's better. WHen they put pressure on the Qbs's they will make bad decisions, thus making it easier for a CB to make a big play

I mean more along the lines of what is more important to address. I def think we can get both, but my argument was that I thought it was more important to get a better DT than a better CB. DT's make CB's better. WHen they put pressure on the Qbs's they will make bad decisions, thus making it easier for a CB to make a big play

100% agree

We need to get a replacement for JA98 as well. He is just not going to produce for us. I would like to see Biermann more, I think he could be a beast. Ideal situaion would be to draft a beast DT that can come right in, and we have Biermann producing opposite predator. We would have a solid d-line for a while. I would rather look to a safety rather than cb in our secondary. I think with Houston, Foxy, Grimes, and Chev we are fine. Lawyer isnt getting any younger. We need to bring in an understudy for him to mentor.

Here's what I hope: we get a great DT in Free Agency that could start over Grady, and have Grady rotate in. Albert Haynesworth can't be franchised again - it's in his contract. We have a legit shot at geting him now that we have a legit defensive minded coach, a successful team, and we could work the money for him.

We are pretty set with Foxworth and Houston I feel. If we extend Foxworth the 7th we traded for him turns into a 6th - it's worth it. Chevis Jackson can still be the NB, and he'll be a good one. With the return of Von Hutchins, we won't need to get a high profile guy. We've invested some high draft picks for guys that have produced - I'm pretty sure that we stay with the guys we have.

The draft is where we address some more needs. I think we go TE DE OL in the first and two second round picks we've got (Oakland's pick will practically be a first, it'll be so early in the round... heck we could even trade up with 2 seconds to get back into the first round)

So yeah... FA DT, stay with our corners (we are good and deep!), and draft a pass catching TE and a pass rushing DE early in the draft

The draft is where we address some more needs. I think we go TE DE OL in the first and two second round picks we've got (Oakland's pick will practically be a first, it'll be so early in the round... heck we could even trade up with 2 seconds to get back into the first round)

So yeah... FA DT, stay with our corners (we are good and deep!), and draft a pass catching TE and a pass rushing DE early in the draft

We used Oaklands 2nd round pick last year if I'm not mistaken ... this year we get a late round pick of theres. Unless I'm mistaken.

My view is that we look at the Titans. Their cornerbacks by and large look a lot better then they are because they can get pressure with just their front four. If we can get that then we don't need a more expensive corner.

I would avoid Haynesworth. He's had two good years, both of which have been contract years. He's had character concerns since he was in college and smacks of being someone whose attitude wouldn't fit into our team once he got paid.

I like the idea of picking up some good talent and making it so we have more depth along the line and CB. Maybe upgrading some players. You don't need superstars to win Super Bowls, you need team chemistry and players that buy into and fit a scheme. Use the draft and FA to get those players, don't reach for players or overpay elite players who don't fit into the way you play because you'll just end up like a slightly better version of the Oakland Raiders.

We need to get a replacement for JA98 as well. He is just not going to produce for us. I would like to see Biermann more, I think he could be a beast. Ideal situaion would be to draft a beast DT that can come right in, and we have Biermann producing opposite predator. We would have a solid d-line for a while. I would rather look to a safety rather than cb in our secondary. I think with Houston, Foxy, Grimes, and Chev we are fine. Lawyer isnt getting any younger. We need to bring in an understudy for him to mentor.

Jamal will be fine this is his first real year with a real coach.

If Smith and TD are happy with him then who am I to argue

DT would be my vote as most need position.

But I don't think we are as set at CB as everyone else.

I think if someone comes along in the draft that just screams he is a cover 2 corner I think he will be drafted.

I could actually see Houston being traded myself

Here's what I hope: we get a great DT in Free Agency that could start over Grady, and have Grady rotate in. Albert Haynesworth can't be franchised again - it's in his contract. We have a legit shot at geting him now that we have a legit defensive minded coach, a successful team, and we could work the money for him.

Haynesworth will get 13 to 16 million per year in a contract, if he goes down it will cripple a team, just think of how bad a shape the Falcons are in because of the Vick contract and it was only about 10 million per

We don't use Pass catching TE's in our scheme they are Blockers first and then asked to catch a few passes second

DT, hands down. If we re-sign foxworth, i think that he and Houston will continue to be quality starters. We already got Chevis and grimes doing well and Von Hutchings will be back next year, so we got more than enough depth. DT is where we are sorely lacking. Grady isn't gonna play forever and Babs is the only one that Im seeing long term with this team. I really wanted Haynesworth from the Titans, but he'll probably be franchised <_<

Haynesworth will get 13 to 16 million per year in a contract, if he goes down it will cripple a team, just think of how bad a shape the Falcons are in because of the Vick contract and it was only about 10 million per

We don't use Pass catching TE's in our scheme they are Blockers first and then asked to catch a few passes second

Yeah, Freeney got 83 million, and I am sure Fat Alberts agent will start there, then use how much better Haynesworth is than Freeney to raise the price.

I honestly think Haynesworth will become the highest paid defensive player ever, which is currently Freeney.