Judge rules IN FAVOR of NFLPA for 5 suspended players

1989Fan

Personally, I agree with the judge on this one, even if it means facing the Williams'. If the NFL knew that the Star Caps product violated the drug policy then they should have put it on a list and distributed it to "all" players in the league.

No...players are responsible for what they take. The star caps were put on the list 2 years ago. Before taking a drug, the players should check all possible sources. Call the NFL drug czar personally and get his answer documented.

NFL's drug suspensions of 5 blocked by federal judge

Associated Press

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- A federal judge has blocked the NFL from suspending five players for violating the league's anti-doping policy.

U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson said Friday he needed more time to consider the case after hearing several hours of arguments from the league and the NFL Players Association.

Kevin Williams and Pat Williams of the Minnesota Vikings, and Charles Grant, Deuce McAllister and Will Smith of the New Orleans Saints all were suspended this week for four games. They tested positive for a banned diuretic in the dietary supplement StarCaps.

The union has argued the NFL didn't properly inform players about the substance. The NFL's attorneys argued that claim, and others, had been considered and rejected in a process set out by the league's collective bargaining agreement.

Uh, I don't see where it said he ruled in their favor.

He just needs more time to make an informed decision.

Personally, I agree with the judge on this one, even if it means facing the Williams'. If the NFL knew that the Star Caps product violated the drug policy then they should have put it on a list and distributed it to "all" players in the league.

I agree. Players can't be held responsible for ingredients illegally undisclosed in commercial products. That's like throwing somebody in prison for buying a bag of sugar because the sugar cane company loaded it up with a different caine to give a person that extra little sugar "rush". If you truly thought you were buying sugar, you shouldn't be held accountable.

Obviously, if you new where that extra "rush" was coming from and you continued to buy that companies sugar, than there should be some accountability. But when I buy a package that says it's Creatine, I expect it to be Creatine, I don't get it chemically tested to make sure it's just Creatine. That's an unreasonable expectation to have of the players.

I wonder if the NFL will appeal this ruling. They should because, to me anyway, this judge's ruling is tantamount to a child at a playground who takes his kickball and runs home to mommy because he's losing the game even though it's being played by the rules HE agreed to.

If the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) states that players who take these supplements do so "at their own risk", then that should be the end of it and the judicial system should have no role in interpreting or influencing these situations. On principle, it's the same thing as with these Wall Street firms and automakers who are now begging for taxpayer-funded bailout "loans" simply because they were ill-equipped and ill-prepared to weather an economic downturn. ****, that's the nature of a capitalistic, free-market society - you succeed or fail as the market dictates - but now these NFL players apparently have an "out" to pursue, because the CBA language doesn't really mean what it says and they can just seek an injunction. In other words, "F*** you, Roger Goodell!"

This is a bunch of grown men who can't play by the rules that their own union helped write and that they themselves approved. I'm just wondering what is it about "at your own risk" that these guys don't understand? <_<

I wonder if the NFL will appeal this ruling. They should because, to me anyway, this judge's ruling is tantamount to a child at a playground who takes his kickball and runs home to mommy because he's losing the game even though it's being played by the rules HE agreed to.

If the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) states that players who take these supplements do so "at their own risk", then that should be the end of it and the judicial system should have no role in interpreting or influencing these situations. On principle, it's the same thing as with these Wall Street firms and automakers who are now begging for taxpayer-funded bailout "loans" simply because they were ill-equipped and ill-prepared to weather an economic downturn. ****, that's the nature of a capitalistic, free-market society - you succeed or fail as the market dictates - but now these NFL players apparently have an "out" to pursue, because the CBA language doesn't really mean what it says and they can just seek an injunction. In other words, "F*** you, Roger Goodell!"

This is a bunch of grown men who can't play by the rules that their own union helped write and that they themselves approved. I'm just wondering what is it about "at your own risk" that these guys don't understand? <_<

Well said BB. Its always someone elses fault, not the ones who broke the law/rule. Thats the society we live in now.

This case will be interesting to watch, if a judge does eventually rule in favor of the players it will open up a whole new world of appeals and contractual issues that will have to be dealt with after the 2010 season.

Yep. I see the owners playing real hardball (and they should), when they go to negotiate a new CBA.

NFL's drug suspensions of 5 blocked by federal judge

Associated Press

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- A federal judge has blocked the NFL from suspending five players for violating the league's anti-doping policy.

U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson said Friday he needed more time to consider the case after hearing several hours of arguments from the league and the NFL Players Association.

Kevin Williams and Pat Williams of the Minnesota Vikings, and Charles Grant, Deuce McAllister and Will Smith of the New Orleans Saints all were suspended this week for four games. They tested positive for a banned diuretic in the dietary supplement StarCaps.

The union has argued the NFL didn't properly inform players about the substance. The NFL's attorneys argued that claim, and others, had been considered and rejected in a process set out by the league's collective bargaining agreement.

Uh, I don't see where it said he ruled in their favor.

He just needs more time to make an informed decision.

thanks for the posting. it goes a little more into detail than the ESPN discussion initially did. the guy was confused even reading the verdict when I was watching.

He ruled in the favor of the NFLPA here, obviously it wasnt in the NFLs favor right?