Self-Embedding Disorder: Teens Putting Nails, Paper Clips in Bodies, Study Finds

Statick

Self-Embedding Disorder: Teens Putting Nails, Paper Clips in Bodies, Study Finds

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Some troubled teens are embedding nails, paper clips, bits of rock, glass and even crayons in their bodies as a way to cope with disturbing thoughts and feelings, U.S. researchers said Wednesday. :blink:

They described cases in which teens had forced numerous objects into their arms, hands, feet, ankles and necks in a condition they are calling self-embedding disorder, a step beyond more common forms of self-mutilation.

"We identified a group of 10 patients over a three-year period of time that have this pattern of self-inflicted injury," said Dr. William Shiels, chief of radiology at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. He presented his findings at the Radiological Society of North America meeting in Chicago.

"It's cutting gone to the next level," Shiels said in a telephone interview.

Shiels, who is developing a minimally invasive surgical technique for removing objects accidentally embedded in the skin, saw his first case of what he called self-embedding in 2005, and recently has seen a cluster of cases.

"We had never seen this prior to 2005." he said.

Self injury can involve a number of actions, including cutting of the skin, burning, bruising, hair pulling, breaking bones or swallowing toxic substances.

It is often kept secret, but some studies suggest that 13 to 24 percent of high school students in the U.S. and Canada have practiced deliberate self-injury at least once.

Wendy Lader, a psychologist and co-founder of S.A.F.E. Alternatives, a treatment program for self-injury disorders in Naperville, Illinois, said the practice of self-embedding was not new but it may be on the rise.

"It's not a new manifestation. Whether it's growing, that may be the possibility," Lader said in a telephone interview.

Lader said radiologists will be some of the first people to notice this trend, but she said self-injury was growing in frequency and severity.

Shiels said nine of the patients were female and one was male, all were between 15 and 18 and most had significant psychiatric problems, including depression.

He said the teens described being in an agitated state and said embedding offered a measure of comfort.

"The consistent theme is one of being angry and upset. Some of the patients have had very recent sexual abuse encounters, and they feel no one is taking them seriously," Shiels said.

"Patients will usually have reported behavior that includes cutting and even ingesting things like battery acid and Drano (drain cleaner) before they engage in self-embedding," he said.

"When they reach the point to where they are embedding things in their body, 90 percent have suicidal ideation."

Lader said that was consistent with many cases of self-injury. She said while the act of cutting may not represent a suicide attempt, 90 percent of these patients are suicidal. "They are trying desperately to find ways to cope with life's problems, and suicide is definitely an option," she said.

--------end of article-------

It's going to get scary growing old in this country...

This is scary man. My oldest daughter used to "cut" herself. When I realized what was happening (divorced from her mom), I confronted her about it. She said it made her "feel" better when she did it, especially if she was upset.

That was just the tip of the iceberg though as I found out there were other underlying issues. I tried getting her counselling and any other help that was available. NONE of it helped. As she got older, all of this stuff just stopped. She just seemed to mature or grow out of it (She's 23 now).

I still worry about her though.

The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look. It works in reverse, too. When I see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about that person.

--P. J. O'Rourke

I thought of that movie American Psycho as soon as I read that.

I don't think this is really anything NEW, teenage kids have always have always had a high rate of depression and big time social issues. What I think is changing is that the newest generations are the product of a new line of thinking. They want everything to happen immediately and they want everything they do to be noticed.

I personally don't think anyone REALLY wants to cut themselves. They just want their problems to get fixed immediately and they get it into their heads that cutting themselves will fix their problems, or will get other people to notice them and help them fix their problems. The fact that it has become somewhat of a common activity and into the social culture doesn't make it any better.

I mean, even as a person not a part of this culture I can still see a little of this in my friends. There are people I'm friends with on facebook that every time some little thing goes wrong they will put it in their status/write a note/put it on their blog complaining and wait for everyone to come console them and tell them everything will be ok. People just don't like dealing with problems in a quiet or personal way any more, for better or worse.

I don't think this is just about teens in general. It's about emo kids. The population of emos has risen which is why we are saying more and more stupid **** like this.

We are seeing more and more "stupid sh#t like this" because the news is being told over the internet. No one in suburbia saw anything outside of themselves until the internet brought it to 'em. It's nothing new.

Emo kids are stupid either way.

"Oh, boo hoo. Daddy bought me a Jetta instead of a Porsche. Stabby, stabby, slice, slice. Gimme some X."

We are seeing more and more "stupid sh#t like this" because the news is being told over the internet. No one in suburbia saw anything outside of themselves until the internet brought it to 'em. It's nothing new.

"Oh, boo hoo. Daddy bought me a Jetta instead of a Porsche. Stabby, stabby, slice, slice. Gimme some X."

:lol:

And they listen to Death Cab For CutCut & CutCut Confessionals...

HOF :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm crying over here.