Bush receives International Medal of Peace -

Bush: AIDS goal reached early

Posted on Dec 3, 2008 | by Staff

WASHINGTON (BP)--The United States has achieved a goal ahead of schedule established by the Bush administration to provide treatment to 2 million HIV-infected people globally, the president said Dec. 1 on World AIDS Day.

"[W]hen we got started, there were 50,000 people getting antiretrovirals in all sub-Sahara Africa," Bush told mega-church pastor Rick Warren during a special forum in Washington. "And we set a goal of 2 million by five years to get antiretrovirals.... [T]oday we're able to announce that we're over 2 million in less than five years...."

The president received an award from Warren for his efforts in leading the United States to combat HIV/AIDS around the world. Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church in Southern California, presented the first International Medal of PEACE to Bush on the 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day.

"No world leader has ever done more for global health than President George W. Bush, and I think we need to recognize that, and I thank you for that," Warren said at the Saddleback Civil Forum on Global Health.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and let's overlook the millions of Americans that are safer in the US because Bush chose to kick terrorist's booty instead of turning the other cheek after 9/11.

Your posts frustrate me.

What terrorists? You mean the terrorists the US created and then had to fight in Iraq? Even the US military acknowledges that there was no Al-Qaeda before the imperialistic invasion of the sovereign state of Iraq. New Al-Qaeda members and insurgents were only created AFTER the invasion.

The US was never in any harm. Open your eyes!

The US only went into Iraq to secure future oil supply at lower costs. Bush killed over 4,000 US citizens, nearly 1 million innocent Iraqis. Bush caused the wounds of over 30,000 US citizens and millions of Iraqi citizens. All for nothing. Yes. Those 4,000 US soldiers died for NOTHING but Bush greed.

Good job to all those in the military who have went AWOL after the illegal invasion of Iraq commenced. Standing up for their morals. When your higher-ranked superior in Bush wants to kill lives for oil and imperialism, they stood for their morals and loudly said, "NO!". Blindly accepting orders is ignorant and foolish.

Fighting terrorism militaristically must take place in Central Asia, as Obama will do. Fighting terrorism globally will take more than military force. It must be an education movement.

Your posts frustrate me.

What terrorists? You mean the terrorists the US created and then had to fight in Iraq? Even the US military acknowledges that there was no Al-Qaeda before the imperialistic invasion of the sovereign state of Iraq. New Al-Qaeda members and insurgents were only created AFTER the invasion.

The US only went into Iraq to secure future oil supply at lower costs. Bush killed over 4,000 US citizens, nearly 1 million innocent Iraqis. Bush caused the wounds of over 30,000 US citizens and millions of Iraqi citizens. All for nothing. Yes. Those 4,000 US soldiers died for NOTHING but Bush greed.

Good job to all those in the military who have went AWOL after the illegal invasion of Iraq commenced. Standing up for their morals. When your higher-ranked superior in Bush wants to kill lives for oil and imperialism, they stood for their morals and loudly said, "NO!". Blindly accepting orders is ignorant and foolish.

Fighting terrorism militaristically must take place in Central Asia, as Obama will do. Fighting terrorism globally will take more than military force. It must be an education movement.

Oh yes it's our fault they are psychopaths. Leave Iraq alone and let him finish off the genocide!

Oh yes it's our fault they are psychopaths. Leave Iraq alone and let him finish off the genocide!

It's not the US' job. Plus stop with liberation BS. It was never about liberation. First it was about WMD's, then it was about terrorism, then it was about liberation, then it was about flying balloons in the sky, then it was about playing football in the desert. That is the ridiculous evolution of the excuses that have been consistently shot down by logical thinking.

When the 13 colonies felt oppressed by the British government, the people stood up and revolted. Same with the French.

Face it. It was for oil. It was for a strategic political/military placement in the world.

You don't invade another country. PERIOD. What if another country thought your leader was oppressive, and they decided to invade the US to topple its government? You would stand up and defend it, correct? That's what happened with the insurgency when the US forcibly rolled into Baghdad.

Your posts frustrate me.

What terrorists? Those that were attacking and planning attacks on the US at 9/11 and pre/911. And yes history tells us there were terrorist attacks. Have there been any since 9'11? OPEN YOUR EYES!

What terrorists? Those that were attacking and planning attacks on the US at 9/11 and pre/911. And yes history tells us there were terrorist attacks. Have there been any since 9'11? OPEN YOUR EYES!

You must drive everybody around you crazy. Show me proof that those who committed 9/11 were stationed in Iraq? Or even had any involvement in Iraq?

Al-Qaeda was never in Iraq until the illegal invasion commenced. Even US military leaders agree.

You must drive everybody around you crazy. Show me proof that those who committed 9/11 were stationed in Iraq? Or even had any involvement in Iraq?

Al-Qaeda was never in Iraq until the illegal invasion commenced. Even US military leaders agree.

Attempted Iraqi Attacks on U.S. Posts, January 18-19, 1991: Iraqi agents planted bombs at the U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia’s home residence and at the USIS library in Manila.

Attempted Assassination of President Bush by Iraqi Agents, April 14, 1993: The Iraqi intelligence service attempted to assassinate former U.S. President George Bush during a visit to Kuwait. In retaliation, the U.S. launched a cruise missile attack 2 months later on the Iraqi capital Baghdad.

Are we to just wait around and see what they will do next? I don't care what name they go by, they want to hurt Americans. George W. Bush did not start this war but he let the crazies know quick, fast, and in a hurry that America is off limits. There will be a price to pay!

I may be the only one on this forum but I honestly appreciate Bush's hard stand against terrorism. He will always be a great American to me!

Attempted Iraqi Attacks on U.S. Posts, January 18-19, 1991: Iraqi agents planted bombs at the U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia’s home residence and at the USIS library in Manila.

Attempted Assassination of President Bush by Iraqi Agents, April 14, 1993: The Iraqi intelligence service attempted to assassinate former U.S. President George Bush during a visit to Kuwait. In retaliation, the U.S. launched a cruise missile attack 2 months later on the Iraqi capital Baghdad.

Are we to just wait around and see what they will do next? I don't care what name they go by, they want to hurt Americans. George W. Bush did not start this war but he let the crazies know quick, fast, and in a hurry that America is off limits. There will be a price to pay!

I may be the only one on this forum but I honestly appreciate Bush's hard stand against terrorism. He will always be a great American to me!

Well.. The US waited 10 years already. So your post is negated easily using simple thinking.

Bush's constantly-evolving reasons behind invading a sovereign state included WMD's, terrorism, and liberation. I can't believe any sane person would believe such liar and imperialist.

US intelligence after the illegal invasion backs me up, and puts George "the imperialist" Bush to shame.

Well.. The US waited 10 years already. So your post is negated easily using simple thinking.

Bush's constantly-evolving reasons behind invading a sovereign state included WMD's, terrorism, and liberation. I can't believe any sane person would believe such liar and imperialist.

US intelligence after the illegal invasion backs me up, and puts George "the imperialist" Bush to shame.

Actually, the US launched two separate attacks on Iraq during the Clinton administration in 1996 and 1998.

We also had two separate UN Security Council resolutions demanding the Taliban turn over bin Laden after al Qaeda bombed the embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998. They went unenforced and unacted upon. That didn't work out too well did it?

Ever heard of a guy named "Chemical Ali?" He wasn't using sodium cloride to hurt people.

Ever heard of a guy named "Chemical Ali?" He wasn't using sodium cloride to hurt people.

You keep bringing the same arguments... to which I have already responded. It's not the US's job to make up excuses to invade another country and claim it's liberating its people. The American colonies revolted against the oppression they felt from the British. The French revolted against their government when they felt oppressed.

It's the Iraqis' job.

Of course, when you have a liar in Bush claiming WMD's and terrorism, it's not hard to convince people using fear-mongering. I hope Bush one day is tried for war crimes and be forced to accept the responsibility of the millions of lives he made worse or killed.

Actually, the US launched two separate attacks on Iraq during the Clinton administration in 1996 and 1998.

We also had two separate UN Security Council resolutions demanding the Taliban turn over bin Laden after al Qaeda bombed the embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998. They went unenforced and unacted upon. That didn't work out too well did it?

There was never a war. For everything else you stated, my other posts respond to that explicitly.

Can someone provide me with a link to the 1 million deaths Womfalc is talking about?

This was in 2006...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/10/11/iraq.deaths/

Another report released recently suggests 1.1 million.

Bush invaded a sovereign country, and as a result, millions of lives were affected. All died for nothing but greed and imperialism. Great job Bush [/sarcasm].

You keep bringing the same arguments... to which I have already responded. It's not the US's job to make up excuses to invade another country and claim it's liberating its people. The American colonies revolted against the oppression they felt from the British. The French revolted against their government when they felt oppressed.

It's the Iraqis' job.

Of course, when you have a liar in Bush claiming WMD's and terrorism, it's not hard to convince people using fear-mongering. I hope Bush one day is tried for war crimes and be forced to accept the responsibility of the millions of lives he made worse or killed.

How many times do we have to become targets before your'e ready to do something about it? Just google all the terrorist activity BEFORE we invaded Iraq.

All you have is "Bush lied ... many died" That's a weak argument. Yes, we liberated an oppressed people but I think (my opinion ... therefore needs no link) we also disabled future attacks in the process by ridding the terrorist of weapons and leaders.

And by the way, your american colonies analogy is weak also. We are not there to establish American colonies.

This was in 2006...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/10/11/iraq.deaths/

Another report released recently suggests 1.1 million.

Bush invaded a sovereign country, and as a result, millions of lives were affected. All died for nothing but greed and imperialism. Great job Bush [/sarcasm].

Imperialism - the imperialistic attitude of superiority, subordination and dominion over foreign people— a chauvinism and comportment relegating foreign people to a lesser social and or political status.

Do you honestly believe this describes Bush's attitude? He would like nothing more THAN TO GET THE HECK OUT OF THAT PLACE

There was never a war. For everything else you stated, my other posts respond to that explicitly.

Only acts of war, no fly zones, and massive sanctions until Saddam stepped down, which he never did. And you didn't address my other points explicitly, but I'm not interested in another rehashing of the Iraq War, Afghanistan War, etc...

Imperialism - the imperialistic attitude of superiority, subordination and dominion over foreign people— a chauvinism and comportment relegating foreign people to a lesser social and or political status.

Do you honestly believe this describes Bush's attitude? He would like nothing more THAN TO GET THE HECK OUT OF THAT PLACE

He invaded a sovereign state to control the future supply of oil and to place the US military in a strategic area between Iran and Syria. Those were the true intentions of Bush.

Only acts of war, no fly zones, and massive sanctions until Saddam stepped down, which he never did. And you didn't address my other points explicitly, but I'm not interested in another rehashing of the Iraq War, Afghanistan War, etc...

There was never any occupation. There was never any imperialistic attitude.

1 million lives??? Where do you get your numbers? That's over 500 people a day.

You don't believe the imperialistic war led to such high number of deaths?

It was already nearly 700,000 Iraqis dead as of 2006. Other reports released recently suggest well over a million dead.