Auburn contacted Mike Leach before firing Tuberville

Unknøwn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the way I see it:

Muschamp -- great hire who would bring a lot of energy back into the program and may be the man to challenge Saban and Alabama for the SEC West.

Jimbo -- terrible hire who would have Auburn competing year in and year out with Mississippi State for fifth place in the SEC West.

Just my opinion.

There seems to be some new names floating around. One of which i really dont want to happen and really hope it doesnt go any further than speculation. That one is Kevin Steele, and im not saying there has been contact or anything like that but his name was floated around to gauge the interests of Auburn. CKS is:

1. A very respected defensive coordinator who has his unit playing championship caliber football.

2. A former "National Recruiter of the Year". Well versed in recruiting Florida, Alabama, Georgia and the Southeast as a whole.

3. Has a brother, apparently, who is Auburn's Associate Athletic Director for Facilities and Operations.

4. Steele was the head coach at Baylor University from 1999-2002 before moving to Florida State. He coached the linebackers for the NFL's Carolina Panthers from 1995-98 before taking the head coaching job at Baylor and had assistant coaching stints at Nebraska (1989-94), Tennessee (1987-88), Oklahoma State (1984-86) and New Mexico State (1983).

Of course, contact would be after the first group of candidates has been exhausted.

There seems to be some new names floating around. One of which i really dont want to happen and really hope it doesnt go any further than speculation. That one is Kevin Steele, and im not saying there has been contact or anything like that but his name was floated around to gauge the interests of Auburn. CKS is:

1. A very respected defensive coordinator who has his unit playing championship caliber football.

2. A former "National Recruiter of the Year". Well versed in recruiting Florida, Alabama, Georgia and the Southeast as a whole.

3. Has a brother, apparently, who is Auburn's Associate Athletic Director for Facilities and Operations.

4. Steele was the head coach at Baylor University from 1999-2002 before moving to Florida State. He coached the linebackers for the NFL's Carolina Panthers from 1995-98 before taking the head coaching job at Baylor and had assistant coaching stints at Nebraska (1989-94), Tennessee (1987-88), Oklahoma State (1984-86) and New Mexico State (1983).

Of course, contact would be after the first group of candidates has been exhausted.

Lets hope not.

Auburn is considering Houston Nutt, but not Leach

Posted by Charles Goldberg, Birmingham News December 05, 2008 12:25 PM

Categories: Football

Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt met with his athletics director and the university chancellor Friday morning. That meeting occurred with the backdrop of Auburn taking a look at Nutt to replace Tommy Tuberville.

The News reported Friday morning Auburn is interested in Nutt and Florida State offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher, and possibly a few others. Nutt met with Athletics Director Pete Boone and university chancellor Robert Khayat.

Two names that have been talked about, especially nationally, can be stricken from the list. Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, who insiders say expressed an interest in Auburn, is not being considered. Texas defensive coordinator and former Auburn assistant Will Muschamp is content in Austin.

Here is the way I see it:

Muschamp -- great hire who would bring a lot of energy back into the program and may be the man to challenge Saban and Alabama for the SEC West.

Jimbo -- terrible hire who would have Auburn competing year in and year out with Mississippi State for fifth place in the SEC West.

Just my opinion.

What do you have against Jimbo, just curious

I don't think it will be Leach as the HC. The spread offense didn't work to well under franklin.

The reason the spread offense didn't work is because Tuberville didn't let Franklin bring in any new coaches that already knew how to run the spread. Franklin was teaching the coaches AND players how to run the spread and none of the other coaches really appreciated Franklin and as it has been said many times it was just a matter of time before the whole situation blew up in Tuberville's face.

That sucks that Auburn would rather have Jimbo Fisher instead of Mike Leach. God Fisher is overrated.