Auburn contacted Mike Leach before firing Tuberville

Unknøwn

An unofficial Auburn representative has reached out to people close to Arkansas' Bobby Petrino and Texas Tech's Mike Leach to gauge their interest in succeeding Tommy Tuberville if the school decides to fire him, a source familiar with the contacts told The Birmingham News.

Those contacts took place before talks between Tuberville and Auburn officials about the coach's future resumed today.

Three sources close to the Leach camp said the Texas Tech coach would consider Auburn if the job were open.

Leach just completed an 11-1 regular season that saw Texas Tech climb as high as No. 2 in the BCS rankings before the Red Raiders lost their first game, after a 10-0 start, at Oklahoma.

Leach, who's been at Texas Tech nine years, has two years left on his contract. The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reported today that Leach was in Seattle to discuss the soon-to-be-vacant Washington head coaching job. Tyrone Willingham has been fired there but will coach the team's final game Saturday.

One source close to the Petrino camp said Auburn's window to hire him all but closed last year when he left the Atlanta Falcons for Arkansas.

Petrino's Arkansas contract has a $2.85-million buyout and a non-compete clause that is supposed to prohibit him from leaving Arkansas for another SEC West school.

This isn't the first time Auburn has considered replacing Tuberville with Petrino, who served as Tuberville's offensive coordinator at Auburn in 2002 and then left to become the Louisville head coach.

Auburn tried to bring him back as head coach after the 2003 season. Auburn's president and AD at the time and two trustees who remain on the board - Earlon McWhorter and Byron Franklin -- flew to visit Petrino two days before the 2003 Iron Bowl.

When news of that ''Jetgate" trip broke the next week, a groundswell of support from Auburn fans helped Tuberville keep his job.

So from what ive read they want either Leach, Petrino or Paul Johnson and CBS was reporting they may have also contacted Spurrier

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An unofficial Auburn representative has reached out to people close to Arkansas' Bobby Petrino and Texas Tech's Mike Leach to gauge their interest in succeeding Tommy Tuberville if the school decides to fire him, a source familiar with the contacts told The Birmingham News.

Those contacts took place before talks between Tuberville and Auburn officials about the coach's future resumed today.

Three sources close to the Leach camp said the Texas Tech coach would consider Auburn if the job were open.

Leach just completed an 11-1 regular season that saw Texas Tech climb as high as No. 2 in the BCS rankings before the Red Raiders lost their first game, after a 10-0 start, at Oklahoma.

Leach, who's been at Texas Tech nine years, has two years left on his contract. The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reported today that Leach was in Seattle to discuss the soon-to-be-vacant Washington head coaching job. Tyrone Willingham has been fired there but will coach the team's final game Saturday.

One source close to the Petrino camp said Auburn's window to hire him all but closed last year when he left the Atlanta Falcons for Arkansas.

Petrino's Arkansas contract has a $2.85-million buyout and a non-compete clause that is supposed to prohibit him from leaving Arkansas for another SEC West school.

This isn't the first time Auburn has considered replacing Tuberville with Petrino, who served as Tuberville's offensive coordinator at Auburn in 2002 and then left to become the Louisville head coach.

Auburn tried to bring him back as head coach after the 2003 season. Auburn's president and AD at the time and two trustees who remain on the board - Earlon McWhorter and Byron Franklin -- flew to visit Petrino two days before the 2003 Iron Bowl.

When news of that ''Jetgate" trip broke the next week, a groundswell of support from Auburn fans helped Tuberville keep his job.

So from what ive read they want either Leach, Petrino or Paul Johnson and CBS was reporting they may have also contacted Spurrier

petrino!? surely they mean like paterno some coach from like div2 what did those auburn fans do to make god unleash petrino on their poor souls???????

I thought Petrino had a clause in his contract that will not allow him to leave for another SEC West school. I know. I know. It's not like most of the coaches or athletic dept's honor those contracts.

you would think they wouldnt have to give him one of those contracts. if i was his wife id have a private investigator follow him and hire a therapist to teach him how to honor commitmits

CBMF=

I would also like Jimbo, but I am a VERY small minority that would like Jimbo, as for Leach it took him nine years to build a relavant team and would take a while here to due to talent for his offense

Hire Tommy Bowden. You get another Bowden and another Tommy. Best of both worlds.

Still keeping fingers crossed for CBMF

Who would that be?

you don't want will muschamp or jimbo fisher or leach?

Muschamp is already set to take over Texas. I knew there was something fishy the moment he left. He would just leave for the sake of leaving. I am high on Leach and Jimbo I'm not.

CBMF=

I would also like Jimbo, but I am a VERY small minority that would like Jimbo, as for Leach it took him nine years to build a relavant team and would take a while here to due to talent for his offense

Texas Tech has always had a great offense under Leach. Their problem was he never recruited defense.