Mike Leach talking to Washington

Unknøwn

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach has met with Washington officials about the Huskies' soon-to-be vacant head-coaching position, according to media reports in Texas and Seattle.

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal and The Seattle Times reported that according to sources, Leach met with Washington officials on Monday in Seattle.

Texas Tech AD Gerald Myers said he's preparing to offer a contract extension and raise to Leach, according to the Avalanche-Journal. Myers would not confirm or deny that Leach had interviewed at Washington, but expected that Leach would tell him if he were a serious candidate for the job, according to the report.

"I think he would if he's serious about it," Myers said, according to the report. "I think he would let me know. So I don't know. He wouldn't have to tell me, but I haven't heard from anybody, the coaches or anybody else about that."

Myers said he's had contract numbers in mind for Leach, but added that Texas Tech's 11-1 record and share of the Big 12 South title had increased what Leach deserves, according to the Avalanche-Journal.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, definitely," Myers said, according to the report. "I think that was part of our reasoning [for waiting until December], to see exactly what the team accomplished, how they did, and I think it will have an impact on the numbers. We've always tried to compensate our coaches on what they accomplish."

Leach did not return calls seeking comment on Tuesday, the newspaper reported.

An Alaska Airlines employee privy to passenger lists confirmed that Leach and his wife arrived in Seattle on Monday afternoon and left Tuesday around noon, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Leach's agent, Gary O'Hagan, would not confirm that Leach interviewed with Washington.

"We're moving along and making some good progress, talking to lots of people, which is what we wanted," university president Mark Emmert said of the search, according to The Seattle Times. "I think we will be able to resolve this in the near future, but I'm not going to tell you what I mean by near future. But I'm really confident we are going to have a coach in place before the LSU game."

The winless Huskies (0-11) are looking for a new head coach to take over for Tyrone Willingham after the current season ends with Saturday's game against Cal.