Rookie Of The Year - Will our Votes even Qualify Matt?

Tandy

I noticed in my vote for Matt Ryan for rookie of the week thread that some fans are not aware of how the Rookie of the Year award is voted upon.

Here is a link: Rookie of the Year Award

Basically, it is like this:

The Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year award was created in 2002. This is an award voted online by the fans, and it is completely separate from the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year awards voted on by the Associated Press. Every week during the season, 5 finalists are chosen for the Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week award, and a winner is determined by fan voting online at NFL.com[1]. At the end of the season, total fan voting from the year is tabulated to determine the 5 finalists for the Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year award. The finalists are announced at the end of the season and fans go online to vote during the playoffs. The award is presented to the winner during a press conference in the host city of the Super Bowl as part of the week's festivities.

So, if we do NOT vote for him for Rookie of the Week, he may not even qualify for Rookie of the Year - and if we can't even get a weekly vote for him - he certainly can't win the Rookie of the Year. So those fans who go and vote for others who they feel might need it more this week - remember that - you are jeopardizing his chances of even being in the running for Rookie of the Year. Just FYI!

If you want to vote for Rookie of the Week - his 7th time up (he's won once) - vote here: Vote for ROW and make him Eligible for ROY

To respond to those who are confusing OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR with ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - Rookie of the Year is VOTED ON BY THE FANS

I think a QB will win this year with matt being the most likely winner. Look at the history of it..QB, RB, QB, RB, now its time for another QB..The only back i can see that can challenge matt is chris johnson from the titans. but matt and the falcons are the best story in the nfl, so he has a better chance..im going to vote now....

The AP OROY award is what really matters. Him winning the Diet Pepsi or any other ROY award is nice, but the AP award is the big prize...

2 different contests. The conversations have been about Rookie of the Year, not Offensive Rookie of the Year. Two entirely different awards.

2 different contests. The conversations have been about Rookie of the Year, not Offensive Rookie of the Year. Two entirely different awards.

Yes we know that but the one you are pushing for is NOTHING compaired to the AP award and that is one we as the fans can not vote on.

Yes we know that but the one you are pushing for is NOTHING compaired to the AP award and that is one we as the fans can not vote on.

I agree to an extent. Most of the conversations around the league have been regarding ROY, not the OROY. The ROY award is pretty special - and is awarded during the Superbowl festivities - I think it would be special to get him there through fan support, which is why I'm pointing this out.

I agree to an extent. Most of the conversations around the league have been regarding ROY, not the OROY. The ROY award is pretty special - and is awarded during the Superbowl festivities - I think it would be special to get him there through fan support, which is why I'm pointing this out.

Haha now that I think about it, it would be nice to see him get a trophy and 2 awards at the SB.

We just don't have the fanbase of the big NFL teams. I mean almost every falcon fan would have to vote 3 times to equal Denver or Dallas' output.

Its a crappy excuse but its the truff.

I voted my 3 times, plus at least 3 for a few others who don't go online. I know it's tough to beat Dallas or Denver in any contest - they really have a voting fanbase - but we should at least try. That's why I'm pushing it. I'm sick of everyone knocking our fanbase for lack of support - it's disgusting. We have some very loyal and dedicated fans and for some reason, we are seen as a city with no fan support. We may not have the volume - but we sure have the heart. Which is why I will continue to aggravate everyone to vote. :D

Big Ben won the Pepsi ROY a few years back, and PIT is not a big market by any means. But PIT fans stepped up, and I think fans voted for the guy who deserved it. Remember once it gets down to the top 5 or so, people wont be able to just vote for their guy.

IMO It will be between:

Matt Ryan

Joe Flacco

Chris Johnson

Eddie Royal

Steve Slaton

and anyone who knows football, knows this is an easy call.

Well I've always viewed the Diet Pepsi awards being more about selling sodas and getting the brand name out there than about actually determining who the most deserving player is (hence the fan voting instead of a national panel or experts voting). The AP poll doesn't have any such bias with it - they do just as well regardless of who wins their awards...

Big Ben won the Pepsi ROY a few years back, and PIT is not a big market by any means. But PIT fans stepped up, and I think fans voted for the guy who deserved it. Remember once it gets down to the top 5 or so, people wont be able to just vote for their guy.

IMO It will be between:

Matt Ryan

Joe Flacco

Chris Johnson

Eddie Royal

Steve Slaton

and anyone who knows football, knows this is an easy call.

Yes, if Matt gets in he has a fair chance, and considering that some fans will go conference or division if they don't have a player, his chances are even better. Look at this list you provided, assuming this is the final list right now:

AFC

South - Texans and Titans

North - Ravens

West - Denver

NFC

South - Falcons

What does this mean for us?

Titans will get Titan fans, some AFC South and AFC votes.

Texans will get Texan fans, some AFC South and AFC votes.

Ravens will get Raven fans, some AFC North and AFC votes.

Denver will get Denver fans, some AFC West and AFC votes.

Falcons will get Falcon fans, some NFC South and NFC votes.

We have less competition for the average fan vote of these nominees and would stand a good chance of taking this award.

So, let's get him to the finals!

Yes, if Matt gets in he has a fair chance, and considering that some fans will go conference or division if they don't have a player, his chances are even better. Look at this list you provided, assuming this is the final list right now:

AFC

South - Texans and Titans

North - Ravens

West - Denver

NFC

South - Falcons

What does this mean for us?

Titans will get Titan fans, some AFC South and AFC votes.

Texans will get Texan fans, some AFC South and AFC votes.

Ravens will get Raven fans, some AFC North and AFC votes.

Denver will get Denver fans, some AFC West and AFC votes.

Falcons will get Falcon fans, some NFC South and NFC votes.

We have less competition for the average fan vote of these nominees and would stand a good chance of taking this award.

So, let's get him to the finals!

Tandy I think youre incorrect on this, ROY has nothing to do with this weekly voting.