SI MVP Watch

falcon82

1. Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis. OK. You give me an MVP after the debacle weekend of so many candidates. Manning ascends to the top by default, despite engineering zero touchdown drives for only the fifth time in a 10-year NFL career. This is a seasonal award, obviously, because of the Colts being 8-4 and Manning being most responsible.

Let me tell you a story. My Sirius NFL Radio partner, Randy Cross, was on a Frontier Airlines flight from Denver to Atlanta eight nights ago after doing Oakland-Denver for CBS. Frontier has satellite TV at every seat and Cross and his seat neighbor were watching the waning moments of the Indy-San Diego Sunday-nighter. The Chargers kicked a field goal to tie the game at 20 with a minute and a half left. The ensuing conversation:

Seat neighbor: "Overtime.''

Cross, pointing to the time remaining: "The Chargers are toast.''

Seat neighbor: "Why?''

Cross, pointing to Peyton Manning on the screen: "Because of him.''

Eighty-seven seconds later , after another game-winning drive by the master of them, the Colts were walking off the field with a 23-20 win.

2. Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta. Falcons were supposed to go 3-13. They are 8-4. They've won at San Diego and Green Bay. They've beaten 9-3 Carolina in the last month.

3. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans. In many ways, he's having the best year at the most important position in football, even with a bummer Sunday in Tampa. But it'll be hard for me to hand the MVP to a guy who won't be playing in January, especially after how he played down the stretch in yesterday's must win, throwing picks on the final two possessions.

4. Kris Jenkins, NT, New York Jets. Mulligan.

5. James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh. I might argue this spot belongs to Troy Polamalu or LaMarr Woodley. But Harrison makes two or three plays that matter on a big scale every week, and he did that again in the miserable rain of Foxboro Sunday.

Full article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...0/week13/4.html

1. Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis. OK. You give me an MVP after the debacle weekend of so many candidates. Manning ascends to the top by default, despite engineering zero touchdown drives for only the fifth time in a 10-year NFL career. This is a seasonal award, obviously, because of the Colts being 8-4 and Manning being most responsible.

Let me tell you a story. My Sirius NFL Radio partner, Randy Cross, was on a Frontier Airlines flight from Denver to Atlanta eight nights ago after doing Oakland-Denver for CBS. Frontier has satellite TV at every seat and Cross and his seat neighbor were watching the waning moments of the Indy-San Diego Sunday-nighter. The Chargers kicked a field goal to tie the game at 20 with a minute and a half left. The ensuing conversation:

Seat neighbor: "Overtime.''

Cross, pointing to the time remaining: "The Chargers are toast.''

Seat neighbor: "Why?''

Cross, pointing to Peyton Manning on the screen: "Because of him.''

Eighty-seven seconds later , after another game-winning drive by the master of them, the Colts were walking off the field with a 23-20 win.

2. Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta. Falcons were supposed to go 3-13. They are 8-4. They've won at San Diego and Green Bay. They've beaten 9-3 Carolina in the last month.

3. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans. In many ways, he's having the best year at the most important position in football, even with a bummer Sunday in Tampa. But it'll be hard for me to hand the MVP to a guy who won't be playing in January, especially after how he played down the stretch in yesterday's must win, throwing picks on the final two possessions.

4. Kris Jenkins, NT, New York Jets. Mulligan.

5. James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh. I might argue this spot belongs to Troy Polamalu or LaMarr Woodley. But Harrison makes two or three plays that matter on a big scale every week, and he did that again in the miserable rain of Foxboro Sunday.

Full article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...0/week13/4.html

Could be! Still think its ROY for Ryan.

Guest WoodyPaige
How in the world is Peyton in the conversation at all? He has had his worst season in years.

Real question is how is ELI not in this conversation? Geez, could they be a bit more biased....