who is the better DT? and who should we take?

hakim24

I like Bj Raji better than Jerry because It seems like Raji always has leverage on the O-lineman. He is ALWAYS collapsing pockets. He might not have the sack numbers, but his presence is definitely felt in every game. I have yet to see him and come back disappointed. I think that we should take both him and Ron Brace if Brace makes it to the 4th. Those two are the most active DT's that I have seen in college football.

I haven't seen much of Peria Jerry, but when I watch him, he does not seem as disruptive as Raji. I think that Raji is the best DT in the Draft.

what do you think?

I'm not really going off of how high scouts rank those two guys. Nobody really knows how they will do in the NFL. Raji has Dominated every single Offensive lineman that I have watched him go against. He is big and has GREAT feet. He excels at everything, Run, Pass (Collapsing Pockets), and reading things such as screens.

From the little of what I have seen of Jerry I did not come away impressed as much. He is only 305 lbs (I know that sounds weird), but Raji is 325 with better feet. I can see Jerry getting Stood up a lot at the line of scrimmage in the NFL.

I'm not really going off of how high scouts rank those two guys. Nobody really knows how they will do in the NFL. Raji has Dominated every single Offensive lineman that I have watched him go against. He is big and has GREAT feet. He excels at everything, Run, Pass (Collapsing Pockets), and reading things such as screens.

From the little of what I have seen of Jerry I did not come away impressed as much. He is only 305 lbs (I know that sounds weird), but Raji is 325 with better feet. I can see Jerry getting Stood up a lot at the line of scrimmage in the NFL.

you dont put stock in their rankings, but you do in their weight?

the best DT in the NFL is about 305 lbs. (Kevin Williams)

you dont put stock in their rankings, but you do in their weight?

the best DT in the NFL is about 305 lbs. (Kevin Williams)

I'm not saying that you pick Raji just because of his weight. I'm just saying that he is going to have to be very strong, going up against those 320-330 lb Lineman. And I think that it will take him awhile to make an impact in the NFL. I might be wrong, but Raji just seems more NFL- ready than any DT in this draft

Jerry is quicker and faster and still strong against run. Sheds blocks well also.

Then we could pick Ron Brace from BC in the 4th rd. The drop off from Raji to Brace is teeny tiny. From the games I've watched.

That's too tough to call. You'd have to watch each one individually to determine that, as one could make the other look better than he is (don't know which one though).

Jerry is quicker and faster and still strong against run. Sheds blocks well also.

Then we could pick Ron Brace from BC in the 4th rd. The drop off from Raji to Brace is teeny tiny. From the games I've watched.

I don't think Jerry is quicker. He is faster, but Raji first step is much better. Brace and Raji are two different players who complement each other very well. Raji can stop the run, but I really like him because of his ability to collapse pockets. Brace is an excellent run stuffer who does not really have the ability to rush the passer. I would love to have them both, but only if Brace lasts until our 4th round pick.

I like both Raji and Jerry but would rather take Peria Jerry late in the first round. If Brace is there in the late fourth or early fifth round (We have the Oakland pick which will be high in the fifth round) yeah I would grab him too.

I like both Raji and Jerry but would rather take Peria Jerry late in the first round. If Brace is there in the late fourth or early fifth round (We have the Oakland pick which will be high in the fifth round) yeah I would grab him too.

I would rather keep them together.... they work off of each other and I would want to keep that chemistry. Plus i favor Raji over Jerry

I don't think Jerry is quicker. He is faster, but Raji first step is much better. Brace and Raji are two different players who complement each other very well. Raji can stop the run, but I really like him because of his ability to collapse pockets. Brace is an excellent run stuffer who does not really have the ability to rush the passer. I would love to have them both, but only if Brace lasts until our 4th round pick.

everytime i watched brace he used his hands well and used a swim move very effectively to get pressure on the QB.

From Frank Croyle, a former scout who's opinion's on players I've come to respect over the years. He doesn't always do a great job with his mock's, but I think his player critiques are usually right on. His mock drafts are based on how he rates the players, and not based on if this guy or that guy is hot with the internet draft boards, so many of you Raji fans won't like where Raji falls in the 2 round mock below.

NFL Prospect - DT Peria Jerry of Old Miss

Submitted by Frank Coyle on Tue, 12/02/2008 - 12:40pm. NFL Draft Prospects

NFL Prospect - Peria Jerry Heads Tackle Class

Senior Bowl and NFL Combine Invite - Pro Prospect for NFL Draft ’09

Explosive quick senior tackle has responded with a huge final season displaying dominant ability in the tough SEC. Peria is an active powerful three-technique tackle who has been one of the nation’s top defenders this fall as a cornerstone defender for the underrated Ole Miss club. He combines fine triangle numbers with excellent football production and instincts. He has good mobility, physical skills and toughness with adequate girth for the inside position. He is very quick off the ball and is able to get consistent penetrate to force the QB to move in the pocket and rush his decisions. He pushes the pocket well and has the ability to chases down plays outside the hashes.

He shows strong hands and uses them well to keep blockers off his body with the ability to separate consistently to pursue the action. He can struggle at the point of attack against the run especially when double teamed. He can also play too high vs the run that leaves him exposed to blocks and makes it difficult to separate from blockers and pursue the play. He can lose leverage when playing high that leaves him vulnerable to blocks. Quick three technique tackle with high level of competition and experience and a prospect that is ideal for the 4-3 front especially the Colts and Bucs. One of the fastest rising defenders in the nation with the skills and production to secure a first round grade with a strong performance over the postseason.

Frank Coyle is a scouting consultant for the Senior Bowl over the past 12 years.

NFL Draft ’09 - Two Round Mock Draft

Submitted by Frank Coyle on Fri, 11/28/2008 - 5:53pm. NFL Mock Draft

NFL Draft ’09 - Two Round Mock Draft

November 28, 2008 * underclassmen

Exact draft order to be determined at close of regular and post seasons.

1st Round

1. Detroit - * Matthew Stafford - QB - Georgia

2. Kansas City - * Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech

3. Cincinnati - Michael Oher - OT - Mississippi

4. Oakland - * Jeremy Maclin - WR - Missouri

5. St. Louis - * Vontae Davis - CB - Illinois

6. Seattle - Brian Orakpo - DE - Texas

7. San Francisco - Rey Maualuga - LB - Southern Cal

8. Houston - Aaron Curry - LB - Wake Forest

9. San Diego - * Andre Smith - OT - Alabama

10. Cleveland - * Chris Wells - RB - Ohio St

11. Jacksonville - * Taylor Mays - FS - Southern Cal

12. Buffalo - James Laurinaitis - LB - Ohio St

13. Chicago - Michael Johnson - DE - Georgia Tech

14. Minnesota - * Tim Tebow - QB - Florida

15. New Orleans - Malcolm Jenkins - CB - Ohio St.

16. Green Bay - * Jermaine Gresham - TE - Oklahoma

17. Philadelphia - Eugene Monroe - OT - Virginia

18. Miami - Clint Sintim - LB - Virginia

19. Atlanta - * Percy Harvin - WR - Florida

20. New England - * Everette Brown - DE - Florida St

21. Detroit (Dallas)- * George Selvie - DE - South Florida

22. Denver - William Moore- FS - Missouri

23. Indianapolis - * Peria Jerry - DT - Mississippi

24. Washington - * Greg Middleton - DE - Indiana

25. Baltimore - Alphonso Smith - CB - Wake Forest

26. NY Jets - Brian Cushing - LB - Southern Cal

27. Tampa Bay - Jason Smith - OT - Baylor

28. Arizona - * Knowshon Moreno - RB - Georgia

29. Pittsburgh - * Darrius Heyward-Bey - WR - Maryland

30. Phil (Carolina) - Duke Robinson - OG - Oklahoma

31. New York Giants - Derrick Williams - WR - Penn St.

32. Tennessee - Alex Mack - OC - California

2nd Round

33. Detroit - * Myron Rolle - FS - Florida St

34. Kansas City - * Brandon Spikes - LB - Florida

35. Cincinnati - * C.J. Spiller - RB - Clemson

36. Oakland - * Greg Hardy - DE - Mississippi

37. St. Louis - * Ricky Jean-Francois - DT - LSU

38. Seattle - Chase Coffman - TE - Missouri

39. Houston - Patrick Chung - SS - Oregon

40. San Francisco - Victor Harris - CB - Virginia Tech

41. Cleveland - * Terrence Cody - DT - Alabama

42. Jacksonville - * Vince Oghobaase - DT - Duke

43. New England (S.D.) - Domonique Johnson - CB - Jackson St.

44. Chicago - Jamon Meredith - OT - South Carolina

45. Minnesota - Herman Johnson - OG - LSU

46. NY Giants (N.O.) - Brandon Pettigrew - TE - Oklahoma St

47. Green Bay - Mike Mickens - CB - Cincinnati

48. Buffalo - * Jared Cook - TE - South Carolina

49. Philadelphia - * Kenny Britt - WR - Rutgers

50. Miami - * D.J. Moore - CB - Vanderbilt

51. Dallas - Jonathan Luigs - OC - Arkansas

52. Denver - * Shonn Greene - RB - Iowa

53. Atlanta - * Captain Munnerlyn - CB - South Carolina

54. Miami (Wash) - Phil Loadholt - OT - Oklahoma

55. Baltimore - Matt Shaughnessy - DE - Wisconsin