Ok, simple question here... in military tatics, dont you attack the flanks

Ice74

I understand pounding it straight ahead with a 240lb back,

I understand shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line

and heck I was all for going for it on all 4 attempts, but just a question

when you have a horiztonal line, and you attack the line in the middle, there is no weak point, if you run to the edges, you do a couple of things

if you run right, you basically take away the whole left side of the field and those defensive players are rendered useless

, next the line is spread so thin, you negate chances of a gang tackle, unlike on 4th and 1 where Turner got hit by 3 Chargers

you give Turner(and i like Norwood on 4th and 1 too) time to build up steam and pick his hole, rather than a quick read and react guess

H-formation with Norwood in the back field, Tuner his blocker and Mughelli as the H-back, the opposing defense has 3 backs to choose from

pull the guards, Turner and Mughelli block off the edge, I only see that as a mismatch, and with Norwoods speed, nobody is going to SLIP through all those blockers untouched AND catch Norwood on the edge

is this a crazy idea

BTW, i did play HS and college football, so i have some(limited) knowledge on this, plus i design plays for my sons brothers fathers flag football team

if you can't drive the ball one yard, on 4 attempts, you don;t deserve the TD.

we where trying to impose are will on them, while crushing theirs.

Least that's all i can come up with. Personally I would of kicked the FG.

But there are 50 million other screw ups i would have done our coach didn't do. I am sure he had his reasons, even if I am incorrect on my assumption.

Yeah, in military parlance when you flank someone you exploit a weakness by surprise to gain a tactical advantage, however, the one disadvantage you have in football is that the ball always starts near the middle of the field. To get to the edges you need speed, more than your opponent. Your logic is completely flawed in this whole "flanking" analogy.

isnt that where Norwoods Speed fits the ball

i wouldnt call the analogy flawed as I would... uninformed, but since i asked it in the form of a question, that covers me as seeming informed about military tatics,

now if i had seemed knowledgeable, I wouldnt have asked a question, I would have stated a fact,

where as flag football plays for my sons brothers fathers team, i stated as if i came from a position of knowledge

i wouldnt call the analogy flawed as I would... uninformed, but since i asked it in the form of a question, that covers me as seeming informed about military tatics,

now if i had seemed knowledgeable, I wouldnt have asked a question, I would have stated a fact,

where as flag football plays for my sons brothers fathers team, i stated as if i came from a position of knowledge

Emmitt? is that you?

If the Falcons had tried an end run or a pass and failed, then everybody would be asking why they didn't pound it up the middle..???

It was a good call because even if you fail, you leave the other team on their own 1yd line. Odds are they are going to punt from deep in their own territory giving your team another shot with good field position.

If the Falcons had tried an end run or a pass and failed, then everybody would be asking why they didn't pound it up the middle..???

It was a good call because even if you fail, you leave the other team on their own 1yd line. Odds are they are going to punt from deep in their own territory giving your team another shot with good field position.

You're absolutely right. A few weeks ago I believe we didn't run it every time and I was mad that we didn't pound it. And I would have been the same way this time if we didn't run it all 4 downs. Also, didn't we get a safety out of that.

Up the middle in short yardage situation had limited success and it was annoying to me they insist on doing it more than twice. Norwood however was getting caught on the edges so that wouldn't have worked. A fade to Roddy or a jumpball with Fin is what I would have liked to see or a surprise to the mystery man Weems.

If you start trying to goto the endzone you extend the amount of time it takes for the RB to get moving North and South, by doing that you leave yourself more suseptable to inside penitration, basicly run outside and Jamal Williams guess's right we're hooped. Going north south, you're hoping to wrong arm Williams thereby sending him into the wrong 1 gap, and allowing Turner to hit empty space hard hoping the LB's ethier A don't fill, or B are run over by Turner. Problem is, Williams may just be the hardest player in the NFL to wrong arm, and it's not bad on McClure that he failed to do so, but Williams played the run right, and the LB's came in to fill leaving Turner with no where to go.

What I would like to see is a PA boot, with the TE running a shallow cross right in front of the QB, should a linemen read boot, the TE lays a block and you hope the QB can run in, if they fall for it, QB run or a quick hit to the TE for the score.

I cant help it. "your sons brothers father"... Isn't that YOU !?!?!?

LOL :lol:

The guy's talking about "understanding the shortest distance" and then he calls himself "my sons brothers father". :D

I'm still trying to figure that out who else that could be.

(not mocking the topic starter... just scratching my head.)

You're absolutely right. A few weeks ago I believe we didn't run it every time and I was mad that we didn't pound it. And I would have been the same way this time if we didn't run it all 4 downs. Also, didn't we get a safety out of that.

Come on guys, it was the end of the half and no we did not get a safety out of it, we went into halftime without momentum and points.

I'll take the element of surprise anyday of the week over predictability. Its all about percentages people, what play gives you the best chance to score is what you run PERIOD.

Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and do what's best overall to win the game. And that doesn't include four straight run attempts up the gut.