We can't repeat what the Chargers did

DanGagnon

Everybody talks about how dumb the Chargers were for letting go of Turner without getting anything for him and how great the Falcons were for picking him up.

Now does anybody see the same situation happening here with Norwood? For years we've known he's **** good but never got the starter role, if we don't lock him up long term there's no way he'll re-sign the last year of his contract.

Everybody talks about how dumb the Chargers were for letting go of Turner without getting anything for him and how great the Falcons were for picking him up.

Now does anybody see the same situation happening here with Norwood? For years we've known he's **** good but never got the starter role, if we don't lock him up long term there's no way he'll re-sign the last year of his contract.

nope, it is just you.

I don' think Norwood could carry the load. He's not built for taking on 30 carries a game over the course of 16 games. I think we should keep Norwood, but I see this completely different than the Turner situation. I don't think the Chargers were dumb for letting Turner go. What were they supposed to do? They had LT and they weren't going to be paying a backup running a ****load of money when they really don't need him. Norwood is being used correctly now, IMO. Maybe a couple more carries a game.

I don' think Norwood could carry the load. He's not built for taking on 30 carries a game over the course of 16 games. I think we should keep Norwood, but I see this completely different than the Turner situation. I don't think the Chargers were dumb for letting Turner go. What were they supposed to do? They had LT and they weren't going to be paying a backup running a ****load of money when they really don't need him. Norwood is being used correctly now, IMO. Maybe a couple more carries a game.

Yup, what he said.

it's called securing contracts guys, you don't wait until he becomes a free agent so you don't have to pay him max cash. If San Diego would have offered Turner a nice raise and an extension in hsi before last season he would still be there,

Not true actually. Turner wanted his own team. One that would build the rushing attack through him. SD could not offer that.

I think you're right. Norwood is more of a situational player in the pros.

which is exactly what Turner was considered to be, did anybody watch the Chargers playoffs game last year when they lost LT? nobody thought Turner could carry the load, but look how he turned out. Until I'm given a reason to believe Norwood couldn't be a #1 somewhere, I'll continue to think he's a top tier commodity and we have to lock him up.

which is exactly what Turner was considered to be, did anybody watch the Chargers playoffs game last year when they lost LT? nobody thought Turner could carry the load, but look how he turned out. Until I'm given a reason to believe Norwood couldn't be a #1 somewhere, I'll continue to think he's a top tier commodity and we have to lock him up.

Turner was always considered a future feature back. It's why SD placed the highest tender possible on him during the 2007 off-season when he was an RFA because they knew they would lose him for anything less than a 1st. He may have been used situationally in SD, but his skillset screamed feature runner.

The same is not true with Norwood. Do I investigate what his contract demands are? Yes - but truth be told, we already have significant dollars tied up in Turner at the RB position so Norwood is not a guy I would overpay for, but perhaps look to the draft in 2010 to replace.

Group: Forum Members

Enough said...youre an idiot....Norwood couldnt carry the ball 30+ times a game....everyone knows that...even him.....and umm...he doesnt have an option to resign the last year of his contract....thats why its called the last year....and i know **** resign here.....

aren't you witty, you have no arguments so you point out my registration date. Bravo sir!

prior to this season Turner had never had more than 11 carries in a game and in that game he ran for a measly 42 yards.

Now I didn't start this thread saying that Norwood would be the second coming of christ, but he's a MORE than reliable backup whom I would have no problem inserting as the starter in Turner were to go down for a couple games.

he's gotten dinged up a few times (though it's never major and a couple were some nasty hits that would injure anybody) but i still don't see the "he can't carry it 30 times a game" view.

i think he absolutely could, and would excel, but that's just my opinion and it doesn't matter anyway because - we DON'T NEED him to carry it 30 times.

we really don't need (or want) Turner toting it 30 times every game either- that's how you wear down a back and shorten their career. most NFL teams are moving to the 2-back (or 3-back) running game to keep guys fresh and have a change of pace. we NEED a guy like Norwood and i think he's a talent you can't just find in the 3rd round of the draft every year.

he's led the league in yards per carry every year he's played, he's versatile and willing to play just about any position, he's a team player and a good guy. sign Norwood long-term before some other team does.

aren't you witty, you have no arguments so you point out my registration date. Bravo sir!

prior to this season Turner had never had more than 11 carries in a game and in that game he ran for a measly 42 yards.

Now I didn't start this thread saying that Norwood would be the second coming of christ, but he's a MORE than reliable backup whom I would have no problem inserting as the starter in Turner were to go down for a couple games.

Norwood isn't a between the tackles runner, not like he was in college anyway. He's better catching passes out in the flat or on screens.

I wouldn't be comfortable with him as a first stringer. He's hurt too often for my taste.