Haynesworth will be a Free Agent

maxatlanta

So Haynesworth earns his Free Agency if he is selected to the probowl (lock of the century). It is in his contract. I am not usually one for huge contracts or thinking one player is worth mortgaging your future for. But, I believe he would single handedly transform our defense. There would be a trickle down effect on the rest of the Dline, the linebackers, and the CBs. We have a great offense, I do see us as a team that could contend for a superbowl if we had a top ten D. In that sense, Haynesworth may be worth it no matter the cost.

Sorry for posting a Haynesworth thread, I always figured he would be franchised and only realized that is not the case this morning. It is in John Claytons notes on espn.com. Any guesses on how much he gets? I bet he gets 70million over 6 years..

We probably wouldn't be able to afford him even if we could or would pick him up. We have the Vick final cap hit in 2009 - after that our cap will be pretty good.

I would like to add - this guys in trouble more than all the guys on our team together. I don't think they would pick him up. Especially after stomping on a guys face and kicking him in the face after his helmet fell off during a game, fighting with his own guys in practice, coming after his teammate with a pole. This guy is a loose cannon - don't think it will happen.

Cap hit would be small in the first year. Just hypothetically- 30 million signing bonus spread out over 6 years = 5million hit in 09. There are also ways around that, like a big roster bonus in the second year of the deal. I won't lose any sleep over it if we don't go after him. But I would be so hyped that I couldn't sleep if we did.

Cap hit would be small in the first year. Just hypothetically- 30 million signing bonus spread out over 6 years = 5million hit in 09. There are also ways around that, like a big roster bonus in the second year of the deal. I won't lose any sleep over it if we don't go after him. But I would be so hyped that I couldn't sleep if we did.

He's too volatile - if the coaches can't control him with their own players in practice - what makes you think they would bring that kind of conflict here?

He is a beast though - I just don't see them making that stretch with the way they've been leaning.

So Haynesworth earns his Free Agency if he is selected to the probowl (lock of the century). It is in his contract. I am not usually one for huge contracts or thinking one player is worth mortgaging your future for. But, I believe he would single handedly transform our defense. There would be a trickle down effect on the rest of the Dline, the linebackers, and the CBs. We have a great offense, I do see us as a team that could contend for a superbowl if we had a top ten D. In that sense, Haynesworth may be worth it no matter the cost.

Sorry for posting a Haynesworth thread, I always figured he would be franchised and only realized that is not the case this morning. It is in John Claytons notes on espn.com. Any guesses on how much he gets? I bet he gets 70million over 6 years..

We're #9 in Pts. allowed (the only defensive stat that matters) :D

We're #9 in Pts. allowed (the only defensive stat that matters) :D

That is absolutely true. You can give up all the yards in the world - build up their stats all you want. But - if you stop the score and you are in the top 10 there - you are a top 10 defense - period. End of discussion.

We probably wouldn't be able to afford him even if we could or would pick him up. We have the Vick final cap hit in 2009 - after that our cap will be pretty good.

I would like to add - this guys in trouble more than all the guys on our team together. I don't think they would pick him up. Especially after stomping on a guys face and kicking him in the face after his helmet fell off during a game, fighting with his own guys in practice, coming after his teammate with a pole. This guy is a loose cannon - don't think it will happen.

I agree. I don't think we will even entertain the idea of going after Haynesworth regardless of his stats.

The face-stomping incident, his temper, his high contract demands, plus us being hamstrung by Vick's contract will kill any serious talk regarding bringing him to Atlanta.

Like TD said, we're trying to change the mentality of this team. So far, he and Coach Smitty are doing a great job. I don't think Haynesworth will be a good fit here.

But the bonus would be on top of the base salary. He's already in his seventh season - which means in 6 years - that's 13 years. As big of a beast as he is - how productive do you think he'll be in his last few years? He's not going anywhere for less than 70 mil over 5 years - you mark my words. He'll get it too.

He's too volatile - if the coaches can't control him with their own players in practice - what makes you think they would bring that kind of conflict here?

He is a beast though - I just don't see them making that stretch with the way they've been leaning.

yeah......We've been down this road before with Meangleo.....Why do this again?

I agree. I don't think we will even entertain the idea of going after Haynesworth regardless of his stats.

The face-stomping incident, his temper, his high contract demands, plus us being hamstrung by Vick's contract will kill any serious talk regarding bringing him to Atlanta.

Like TD said, we're trying to change the mentality of this team. So far, he and Coach Smitty are doing a great job. I don't think Haynesworth will be a good fit here.

I agree. Regardless of talent - they are not going to jeapordize the chemistry we have. They already cut fan favorites, great producers and potential superstars to gel this team into not only playing skills but chemistry.

He won't be coming here - unless the whole front office changes again.

I don't think we need him at the price he would be asking. We are going to get back Trey Lewis and need to pick up another good DT either in the draft or free agency. I understand that Kyle Vanden Bosch from the Titians will be avialable in free agency and I think he would be a nice pickup to strengthen our pass rush.

I must respectfully disagree about us having a top ten D. I concede that we are in the top ten in scoring defense. I also concede that is the most important defensive statistic to our team and our chances of winning. BUT, we are ranked there partially due to our running game and offensive time of possession. My point is this- judging our defense by that stat alone is misleading. We do not have one of the 10 best defenses in the league.

As far as fitting in with what we are doing here: Haynesworth is nasty. That is what we want on both our lines. He is having his best year ever and is double teamed 95% of the time. He will be a great fit. Unfortunately I do think TEN will do whatever it takes to keep him.

On Haynesworth, I don't think we need him at the price he would be asking. We are going to get back Trey Lewis and need to pick up another good DT either in the draft or free agency. I understand that Kyle Vanden Bosch from the Titians will be avialable in free agency and I think he would be a nice pickup to strengthen our pass rush. Peppers dissapears too much. Does not seem like he gives 100%.

I must respectfully disagree about us having a top ten D. I concede that we are in the top ten in scoring defense. I also concede that is the most important defensive statistic to our team and our chances of winning. BUT, we are ranked there partially due to our running game and offensive time of possession. My point is this- judging our defense by that stat alone is misleading. We do not have one of the 10 best defenses in the league.

As far as fitting in with what we are doing here: Haynesworth is nasty. That is what we want on both our lines. He is having his best year ever and is double teamed 95% of the time. He will be a great fit. Unfortunately I do think TEN will do whatever it takes to keep him.

Doesn't matter what you think or I think. Matters what he thinks and our FO and coaches think and what the cap can support with all of our other needs. You figure it out.

As for our D - I'll take top 10 in least points scored over top 10 in sacks, tackles or yards allowed anyday.

p.s. What they have done is make this about the team - not building it around a particular player. Every player we have has a complete team attitude. Every one. The ones that don't - they are gone.

Here is the critical difference I am noticing between most of us- I don't think Haynesworth is a problem child, selfish player, or otherwise non team player. He stomped on another guys head. It was stupid, not selfish. Look at how he has responded since.

As for the top ten defense stuff, reread what I posted. I doubt you'll disagree with any of it.

Would love to him or Julius Peppers signed, the panthers haven'y signed him to an extension yet, and he's a free agent at the end of the season!! Can you imagine Peppers and Abe on the same line??

Don't want -Haynesworth-age, personality probs, tying up too much of the cap to get him.

Don't want peppers either-Wiener with a bum knee shut him down. He disappears way too often to max out the salary cap for him either.

We're also ranked there because of ALOT of 3 and outs and several goal line stands. This D makes big play when it needs to.

I really don't think we will go after Haynesworth and there are several reasons why. He is a total beast right now. Probably one of the top three DT's in the NFL and he will make any team he plays for better, but these are the reasons I don't think he will play for the Falcons, nor should he:

1. His agent has already said he wants to make Haynesworth the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. TD won't buy into that. That would hurt the team chemistry and it reeks of MeAngelo. Defenses are a little different then offenses where you can spend huge money on a QB. A great DT and mediocre supporting cast will get you no where.

2. You can get two very good DT's for what they would pay him. By the end of the year a DT will get tired and lose productivity (watch the game last week - Haynesworth was a non factor and the jets ran on his side of the line several times for good yardage). The Giants are a prime example of why you must have depth at DT and DE. We are going to go out in FA and pick up a couple of very good DT's. TD has a plan.

3. The YKW contract is going to kill us until 2010, so we probably won't have the money to get him and the other pieces we need next year.

4. Haynesworth has said he wants to stay in Tenn. and it looks like they will resign him or franchise him.

5. He has a few marbles lose. Not just the face stomping incident, but he has done some other things that are questionable. You can bet your last penny that Blank has learned his lesson and the only restriction that Blank has put on TD is that the players he brings in must be high character guys. Not that TD would probably bring him in anyway.