We Love CHRISTmas =

Lots of debate going around about the secularaztion of Christmas. Wonder no more about where to shop:

THE NAUGHTY LIST

A.C. Moore – Web site: “Holiday Wishes From Us to You.” Report: 3 types of “Holiday” gift cards – when “Christmas” gift cards requested, store representative replied “We have to be politically correct.”

~ Banana Republic – Web site: “Banana Republic Holiday 2008,” “Most Wanted for the Holiday; Holiday Gift Guide” and Holiday 2008 Fashion Show.” No mention of Christmas.

~ Bloomingdale's – Web site: “Oh What Fun... Holiday Experience,” ”Happy Holidays” e-gift card and “Shop Our Holiday Catalog.”

~ Circuit City – Web site: Winter snow scene on home page and “Beat the Holiday Rush.” No mention of Christmas.

~ Costco – Web site: “Holiday” is everywhere but no mention of Christmas except for items named only by manufacturer.

~ Comp USA – Web site: “Tech Toyland.” No mention of Christmas except items named by manufacturers.

~ CVS – 2008 Web site: no mention of Christmas except for items named by manufacturers.

~ ****’s Sporting Goods – Web site: “The Gift Center.” No mention of Christmas.

~ Disney – Shopping site: No mention of Christmas. “Holiday Shop,”

~ Gap – Web site: “Holiday Gifts Are Here.” No mention of Christmas.

~ Giant Eagle Pharmacy – Web site: “Holiday Gift Giving Guide,” “Holiday Delicious,” and “Holiday” everywhere.

~ Honey Baked Ham – Report: “HOLIDAY was written everywhere!! Nothing about CHRISTMAS. I asked and was told the usual ‘we don't want to offend anyone.’”

~ J. Crew Outfitters – Web site: “Very Merry Gift Guide but no other mention of Christmas.

~ Lane Bryant – “Holiday Wishes.” No other mention of “Christmas.”

~ Menards – Company claims to use “Christmas” in their promotions but web site says “Holiday Home Sale” and “Artificial Trees.”

~ Nordstrom – Web site: “Holiday Gift Shop” and “Promo Code holiday08,” “Christmas” search produced only one item named by manufacturer.

~ Old Navy –Web site: “Home for the Holidays,” “Deal Reveal: ... Super Secret Holiday Deals,” “All I Want ....” and “Holiday 2008 Gift Guide” sections. No mention of Christmas.

~ Office Depot – Web site: “Christmas” search only produced “Holiday” items such as “Holiday cards.”

~ Roaman’s – Web site: “Give, Get, Gifted.” No mention of Christmas.

~ Shopko – Web site: “Holiday Sales.” No mention of Christmas.

~ Sprint – Web site: “Tis the season to have it all.” No mention of Christmas.

~ Staples – Web site: “Gift It For Free.” “Christmas” search found a few items named only by manufacturers.

~ World Market – Web site: “Holiday Headquarters,” “Holiday Shop.” No mention of Christmas.

THE NICE LIST

√ Amazon.com – Web site: “Christmas Trees” and “Christmas” decorations.

√ Bass Pro Shops – Web site: “Time Passes … Hold on to Christmas” and “Classic Christmas” section. “Christmas” music playing in stores.

√ Bath and Body Works – Web site home page: “The Perfect Christmas…at home,” “Spread Christmas Cheer with Holiday Home Fragrances” and “The Perfect Christmas Book.”

√ Bed, Bath, and Beyond – Web site: “Christmas Decor” section and “Merry Christmas” gift cards.

√ Belk – Web site: “Christmas” items for sale, “Merry Christmas” gift cards.

√ Best Buy – Television commercials in Virginia are Christmas commercials.

√ Big Lots – Web site: “See All Christmas Deals.” Promotes the advertisements of Christmas trees.

√ Blain’s Farm & Fleet – Web site: “Christmas gift ideas,” “Create a Christmas wish list.”

√ Boscovs.com – Web site: recently updated “Holiday Shop” with “Christmas Home” section. Gift card says “Merry Christmas.”

√ Bronners CHRISTmas WONDERLAND – “World’s Largest Christmas Store” and “Enjoy Christmas all Year.” Christmas everywhere!

√ BuyAmerican.com – Web site: “Christmas Home Décor,” “Christmas Decorations,” “Christmas Cookbooks” and “Christmas Ornaments.” Christmas products are called what they are.

√ Cabela’s – Christmas Catalog: “… Christmas style 2008” and “Need it by Christmas?” Web site: “8Christmas” promo code for shipping.

√ Chic-fil-A – 2007 Report: “Wonderful billboards across the country say making a “Christmas List.”

√ ChristmasPlace – Christmas everywhere!

√ ComputerGear.com – Web site: “Christmas” is sprinkled throughout the web site. “Guaranteed delivery for Christmas” and “Christmas Desktop Décor Set.”

√ Dillard’s – Circular: “Home for the Holidays” includes “Get Ready for Christmas” and “Christmas Linens and China.” Another Catalog is called “The Style of Christmas.”

√ Dollar Tree – Web site: “Christmas Crafts,” “Christmas Cards,” “Christmas Floral.”

√ Family Dollar – Web site: “Christmas Toy Book,” Christmas Trees, “Christmas Floral Décor” and “Christmas Lights.”

√ Frontgate – Web site: “Christmas” is everywhere! “Christmas Trees,” “Ornaments and Christmas Tree Décor” and Christmas Stockings and Tree Skirts.” Catalog reads “Christmas Perfection.”

√ Garden Ridge – Web site: “Christmas Trees, “Christmas Inflatables,” and LOTS of Christmas decorations.

√ Hallmark – “Hallmark Christmas Commercial 2008,” “A Hallmark Christmas” and “Hallmark Christmas Eve. Web site: “Christmas Cards,” “Christmas Keepsake Ornaments,” “Christmas Décor.”

√ Hobby Lobby – Web site: “Holiday Messages”(cards) especially geared to Christ.” “Christmas ornaments,” “Christmas bushes,” “Christmas” everything!

√ Home Depot – Web site: “Christmas Décor” section. “Christmas Trees” and “Christmas Village.”

√ JC Penney – Website: “Christmas Trees,” and “Feliz Navidad” gift card. 2008 e-mail that “Christmas is alive and well at JC Penney, always has been, and always will be ....” 2007 “Merry Christmas” in Aviator commercial.

√ Joann Fabric and Craft Stores – Web site: “Let’s Make Christmas” section. Holiday Inspirations “Christmas Houses,” “Christmas Trees,” “Christmas Décor” and “Christmas Garland.”

√ Kay Jewelers – TV commercials say “Make it a Merry Christmas.”

√ KB Toys – Web site: “Christmas” books, “Giant Christmas Stocking” and other “Christmas” items.

√ K-Mart – TV commercials include “Christmas.” Web site: “Christmas Trees.”

√ Kohl’s – Web site: “Christmas Power Shopping Sale,” “Christmas” section, many “Christmas” items and “Merry Christmas” / “Feliz Navidad” gift cards.”

√ L.L. Bean – Web site: “Making Christmas Easier,” “Making Christmas for Over 95 Years.”

√ Linens ‘N Things – Web site: “Christmas Shop.”

√ Lord and Taylor – Web site: “Merry Christmas” gift cards and “Christmas Tree Ornament.”

√ Lowe’s – TV ads feature Christmas. Web site: “Christmas Trees,” “Christmas” lights and “Christmas” tree decorations. Ad says “Merry Christmas” on cover. Local stores use “Christmas.”

√ Martha Stewart – Web site: “Christmas Workshop 2008,” “Christmas” and “Christmas Trees” sections.

√ M&M-Mars Candies – Web site: Holiday section includes “Christmas” on mymms.com.

√ Macy’s – Holiday Lane section with unlimited Christmas items. “Merry Christmas” gift cards.

√ Michaels – Web site: “Christmas” and “Christmas Products” sections. Circular: “Christmas Trees.”

√ Office Max – Web site: “Great Christmas and Holiday gifts.” “Holiday” but no “Christmas” cards.”

√ Overstock.com – Web site: “Gift Finder: Christmas Gifts for ….” TV commercial includes “Christmas bows” in song.

√ PetSmart – Web site: Lots of “Christmas” in the Holiday Shops.

√ Pier 1 Imports – Web site: “Christmasville” section and “Welcome to Christmasville.” Store windows: “Christmas Parties” and “Christmas Decor.”

√ QVC – Web site: “Countdown to Christmas,” “Christmas Shoppe,” “Christmas Toys” and “Christmas Lights.”

√ Sam’s Club – Web site: Says the number of days until “Christmas.”

√ Sears – Web site: “Christmas Trees” “Christmas” décor on home page.

√ Smithsonian – Changed “Holiday” catalog to “Christmas” catalog.

√ Target – Web site: “Christmas Trees,” “Christmas Decor Collection” and other “Christmas” items.

√ The Swiss Colony – Web site: “Christmas Village Gifts” section. “Christmas is December 25th.” “Warm their holiday spirits with special gifts from Christmas Village.”

√ T.J. Maxx – Web site: “Our Christmas spirit” and “Merry Christmas” gift cards.

√ TreeClassics.com – Web site: “World’s Finest Artificial Christmas Trees.”

√ Walgreens – Web site: “Christmas” on Home page.

√ Wal-Mart – Web site: “Your One-Stop Christmas Shop.”

√ Williams-Sonoma – Web site: “Christmas” section.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet they don't mind making a profit over "religious matters." They're singing, "What a Friend we have in Jesus" all the way to the bank!

Yeah, it's called capitalism. We've built our society on it for the past 250 years, and have experienced an unprecedented explosion in technology and standard living in that time. I don't see the problem.

We should discriminate against Africans and Jews, it's not like December is their "HOLIDAY" season also.

Actually I think all the stores should drop Christmas altogether and only advertise for Hanukkah, everyone knows Jews are the only ones with money anyway, right?

A store tries to appeal to Africans, Jews and Christians by using a neutral "Holiday" season instead of specifying which "Holiday" and some right wing christian ahole wants to boycott them.

Pathetic.

We should discriminate against Africans and Jews, it's not like December is their "HOLIDAY" season also.

Actually I think all the stores should drop Christmas altogether and only advertise for Hanukkah, everyone knows Jews are the only ones with money anyway, right?

A store tries to appeal to Africans, Jews and Christians by using a neutral "Holiday" season instead of specifying which "Holiday" and some right wing christian ahole wants to boycott them.

Pathetic.

Whether your liberal mind can grasp this concept or not ... Christmas is a Christian holiday celebrating the birth of Christ. If you don't want to celebrate DON'T!

You are correct, sir. And I can choose to take my money and spend it where ever I please. America is a wonderful place!

Winner! The crass commercialization of Christmas ought to be a bur in any Christian's saddle, frankly. When Santa Claus died on the cross for our sins I don't think he ever thought it would come to this. :(

Whether your liberal mind can grasp this concept or not ... Christmas is a Christian holiday celebrating the birth of Christ. If you don't want to celebrate DON'T!

The stores made a choice not to limit the season to Christmas but to include other celebrations as well.

Besides we got tons of Christmas cards when I was growing up.that said "Happy Holidays".

Nobody complained then..

This is all so stupid. People are so caught up whether a company uses the word "Holiday" or "Christmas." Like it or not, not everyone celebrates Christmas. You're just as thin-skinned and hypersensitive as some of the anti-Christmas people if two words affects where you shop.

I don't care what these stores say or what they call their sales. I don't want words or slogans when I walk into a store. I want stuff! I'd be fine if no one in the store said a word to me just as long as I get what I'm looking for.

If you celebrate Christmas, focus more on what the holiday is actually about. Christmas is about camaraderie and good will. It's not about being pigheaded and stubborn. Even though I celebrate Christmas, I endorse the saying "Happy Hoidays" because it offends no one. Show the anti-Christmas people what the positives of Christmas are and what the holiday is all about. That's something you can't do with two words.

I celebrate CHRISTMAS!!!!

But I am also open minded enough to understand that not EVERYONE celebrates Christmas and that many companies want THEIR business too. So the businesses choose to generalize their advertising campaigns to be inclusive and not exclusive and then closed minded people start whining because I guess they have nothing better to do with their exclusive mentalities.

I wonder why you used the word HOLIDAY when describing Christmas, I think you may be a closet pagan. Oh wait, the reason the birth of Christ is celebrated on Dec 25th is because of pandering to pagans... But then I wouldn't expect you to understand that Jesus was NOT born on Dec 25th, I would not expect you to have studied the Bible enough to know that Jesus was born during the Jewish feast of Sukkot which is in Sep-Oct.

It may not matter to you but it's a big honkin' deal to some!!!

An annual New York boat parade lost many of its supporters and at least one sponsor when organizers removed “Christmas” from the parade’s name. Fireworks by Grucci dropped its sponsorship after the Greater Patchogue Foundation removed “Christmas” from the parade’s name, Patchogue Boat Parade of Lights, when some residents complained that the name wasn’t inclusive enough.

The Brookhaven-based fireworks company opposes secularization of Christmas.

It may not matter to you but it's a big honkin' deal to some!!!

An annual New York boat parade lost many of its supporters and at least one sponsor when organizers removed “Christmas” from the parade’s name. Fireworks by Grucci dropped its sponsorship after the Greater Patchogue Foundation removed “Christmas” from the parade’s name, Patchogue Boat Parade of Lights, when some residents complained that the name wasn’t inclusive enough.

The Brookhaven-based fireworks company opposes secularization of Christmas.

secularization? Then you need to change the date, because Dec 25th is based on the pagan winter solstice not the birth of Christ.

They did not go to pay taxes in the cold of winter, they did it in the fall when the weather was mild. :P

Winner! The crass commercialization of Christmas ought to be a bur in any Christian's saddle, frankly. When Santa Claus died on the cross for our sins I don't think he ever thought it would come to this. :(

I've really got tons of work to do but this is an interesting comment.

Christmas is filled with many rich symbolisms. Santa Claus is just one of them. To me, Santa is currently a symbol of family fun ... no more no less.

Jesus dying on the cross is such a serious matter I would never jest about it. <_<

It all seems kind of crazy to those of us of a certain age but the reality is that some folks get truly pizzed about it. My wife teaches at a public kindergarten and you would be surprised at the number of Asian families who raise a fuss about using the word Christmas in the school shows. All through grade school the kids would do Christmas stuff and Kwanza (oddly enough, i never recall anything for Haunaka or however you spell it) and I would bet a million bucks there are not two families in Auburn, AL celebrating Kwanza. now, this is a public institution so they are sort of compelled to serve everyone all the time. The businesses only need to serve the bottom line and if they feel "holiday" does that better than "Christmas" then so be it. If that is going to make someone not shop there--and I would suspect this is a very small number--then I guess that's the breaks. If I was living in China i don't think I'd cry if the local school didn't have Santa or Jesus. It's all kind of stupid, IMHO. Bigger fish to fry than this.

I celebrate CHRISTMAS!!!!

I wonder why you used the word HOLIDAY when describing Christmas, I think you may be a closet pagan. Oh wait, the reason the birth of Christ is celebrated on Dec 25th is because of pandering to pagans... But then I wouldn't expect you to understand that Jesus was NOT born on Dec 25th, I would not expect you to have studied the Bible enough to know that Jesus was born during the Jewish feast of Sukkot which is in Sep-Oct.

Christmas is a Christain holiday. If it makes you feel better I can say it's a Christian Celebration. And you are right, Jesus most likely was not born on Dec. 25. Christmas was celebrated in winter to offset a pagan holiday.

As for your personal attacks concerning my biblical knowledge... you have no idea how much time I have invested! :lol::lol::lol:

Seems the hardcore Christians never understand that freedom of religion means others DO NOT have to practice or acknowledge your religion. You honestly can't be typing what you are typing and not see what an arrogant pompous *** it makes you look like. Your making to big a deal out of companies not directly kissing your butt because of your religion. WAAA WAAA go cry a river for me.

People and companies can have what ever beliefs they want. Apparently the teachings from Jesus about tolerance, turning the other cheek and benevolence are once again lost on some of you. Jesus would probably be ashamed at some of your attitudes.