Jenkins has been fantastic this year but....

g-dawg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AJC's been wrong before. 5 a yr.? That just doesn't seem right. It's got to be backloaded. I'm shocked at the amount but am glad he's here for a while. He's a good complement to Roddy. Now hopefully Robinson can get himself healthy and we might be very very strong at a position that was once a weakness.

Jenkins contract

that is a lot of payola for a guy with a middling career before this year - I like Jenks and I'm glad we are keeping him - but I hope this deal is backloaded with maybe like $8 million in the 4th year salary - otherwise, I think we overpaid.

The only thing I care about is how it affects the cap in future years. The AJC as usual goes for the wow factor instead of breaking down how much was guaranteed. The number is pretty meaningless without that. Just for a point of reference off the top of my head I looked up Wes Welker and he signed a contract in 2007 for 5 years 18.1M part of that was a 5.5M signing bonus. Welker had a good year last year but faded back into obscurity.

Glad I'm not the only one who notices. He's one of the best blockers we have.

I'm not "hating" Michael Jenkins - and blocking is important.....Jenkins is having a good year. Having said all of that, you don't get $5 million/year to block.....I don't know Falcons players salaries by heart but I would guess this would put Jenkins in "top 5" in salary on this team. He's not a "top 5" player on this team - of course others like Roddy, Boley, Dahl, Clabo are all up for new contracts soon -

i'm just sayin'.....

Jenkins contract

that is a lot of payola for a guy with a middling career before this year - I like Jenks and I'm glad we are keeping him - but I hope this deal is backloaded with maybe like $8 million in the 4th year salary - otherwise, I think we overpaid.

I think we forget how valuable his run blocking is too. Not many receivers like to get dirty like he and Roddy. Roddy reminds me of a young Hines Ward right now.

AJC's been wrong before. 5 a yr.? That just doesn't seem right. It's got to be backloaded. I'm shocked at the amount but am glad he's here for a while. He's a good complement to Roddy. Now hopefully Robinson can get himself healthy and we might be very very strong at a position that was once a weakness.

keep in mind who does the negotiating for Atlanta - Rich McKay - he signed Vick to largest contract in NFL and gave Matt Ryan the richest rookie contract ever. McKay also set a record when he was with Tampa giving huge free agent deal to Keshawn Johnson and huge free agent deal to Ed Hartwell.

McKay's negotiating strategy:

McKay to agent: Here's a blank contract - go fill it out in that room there on what you want.

Agent: Here it is - had to scotch tape some more paper to the right to add more zeroes to the contract

McKay: Looks good to me (signs it)

Agent: Nice doing business with ya

Honestly, hard to believe Rich McKay is a lawyer - he's a terrible negotiator.

The only thing I care about is how it affects the cap in future years. The AJC as usual goes for the wow factor instead of breaking down how much was guaranteed. The number is pretty meaningless without that. Just for a point of reference off the top of my head I looked up Wes Welker and he signed a contract in 2007 for 5 years 18.1M part of that was a 5.5M signing bonus. Welker had a good year last year but faded back into obscurity.

Did you really say Wes Welker has faded into obscurity??? he has 80 catches for 838 yards and 1 td. He is a great possession receiver for New England. He also set an NFL record for having 6+ catches in the first 9 games of the season, and he has since extended the record to 12 games (every game this season). That is impressive.

It's probably why we kept him around when he was not as productive. He's been knocking guys down pretty consistently for years. By the way, why can't it be taught?

Because the way Hines Ward blocks just comes natrually to him, the dude is taking heads off or driving his man back. Not a knock on Jenkins by any means, but Ward has the attitude of an offensive lineman when he's blocking.

keep in mind who does the negotiating for Atlanta - Rich McKay - he signed Vick to largest contract in NFL and gave Matt Ryan the richest rookie contract ever. McKay also set a record when he was with Tampa giving huge free agent deal to Keshawn Johnson and huge free agent deal to Ed Hartwell.

McKay's negotiating strategy:

McKay to agent: Here's a blank contract - go fill it out in that room there on what you want.

Agent: Here it is - had to scotch tape some more paper to the right to add more zeroes to the contract

McKay: Looks good to me (signs it)

Agent: Nice doing business with ya

Honestly, hard to believe Rich McKay is a lawyer - he's a terrible negotiator.

i kind of think you guys are overreacting to the jenkins contract but man - that post was funny! :lol:

I'm not "hating" Michael Jenkins - and blocking is important.....Jenkins is having a good year. Having said all of that, you don't get $5 million/year to block.....I don't know Falcons players salaries by heart but I would guess this would put Jenkins in "top 5" in salary on this team. He's not a "top 5" player on this team - of course others like Roddy, Boley, Dahl, Clabo are all up for new contracts soon -

i'm just sayin'.....

I could not agree with you more. I'm with you on this. I like the signing but am surprised it's not for 2 to 3 a yr. Heck, he wasn't even supposed to start this year. What if Robinson comes back and lives up to his potential next year and starts. Then what the heck do you do. A 3rd receiver making 5 a yr. Little bit of a strech. That being said, I'm very excited to have him here for the long haul.