Stafford Hints He's Leaving UGA

freakyfalcon

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 – updated: 2:15 pm EST November 25, 2008

ATHENS, Ga. -- It has been the subject of speculation for a while, but for the first time Tuesday Matthew Stafford hinted he's ready to leave Georgia for the NFL.

During a meeting with reporters the quarterback admitted Saturday's game against Georgia Tech could be his last at Stanford Stadium.

"It's something I'll be thinking about during warm-ups," said Stafford.

Both Stafford and running back Knowshon Moreno said last week they will consider their draft options after Georgia’s season is complete.

Most NFL draft experts expect Stafford to go in the first round, perhaps the first quarterback chosen, if he goes pro.

Copyright 2008 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.wsbtv.com/sports/18144761/detail.html

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I kept telling a friend who was banking on Stafford returning not to count on it. Even with the haters on this board, etc. ragging on him...most NFL scouts still have him as the top-rated QB that could come out. He's only had a couple of bad games...and need I remind folks that Ryan had a couple of bad games last season too.

Which makes the fact that we didn't show up to the Florida or Bama game sting that much more.

People last year across the nation were saying similar things about Matt Ryan: "Dear God, he'll have to play in ATL!" "Oh, no!"

He'll come out and most likely be the first QB taken. He's no Matt Ryan, but we'll see what he can do. If I was DET or KC, I'd be all over Andre Smith with that pick.

We don't know that.

Im just going to say this at the risk of my fanhood. I like the kid to much to see him in Detroit!
People last year across the nation were saying similar things about Matt Ryan: "Dear God, he'll have to play in ATL!" "Oh, no!"

He'll come out and most likely be the first QB taken. He's no Matt Ryan, but we'll see what he can do. If I was DET or KC, I'd be all over Andre Smith with that pick.

Yeah I pretty sure he could have Matt Ryan like success, Calvin Johnson at WR, Kevin Smith and Rudi Johnson at RB just work on that O Line and defense and they could have a decent year next year and contend in the NFC North.

Just imagine what people said about us (Falcons) last year, Rookie Head Coach and Rookie QB and first time full starter at RB.

Dear God that would be horrible!

i dunno man... 3 of the first 33 picks? with millen drafting they might end up with 3 WR's but with a new regime they have a chance to land a draft like stafford, jason brown and greg hardy. those are 3 of their biggest needs (QB, LT and DE) so they could fill a few big needs right off the bat in the first 2 rounds thanks to the roy williams deal.

and as for the hint hes leaving uga... no duh. i mean seriously, ive expected him to come out all year. hes going to be a top 3 pick and likely the #1 pick, why wouldnt he come out?

He'll wont be be a top 5 pick, top ten pick maybe. He had one decent to good year depending on who you ask. Knowshon was a top 5 pick till he started to take himself out of the game. Now some teams may question his heart.

stafford is a top 5 pick and possibly the top pick.. knowshon is a top 10 to 15 pick depending on his combine numbers and he hasn't hurt himself at all with rotations and no teams will not question his heart at all. you are way off there and wrong.

stafford is a top 5 pick and possibly the top pick.. knowshon is a top 10 to 15 pick depending on his combine numbers and he hasn't hurt himself at all with rotations and no teams will not question his heart at all. you are way off there and wrong.

Beat me to it.

The only way Stafford isn't top 5 is if the top 5 teams are set at QB or just took a QB last year...and that's not happening.

I would have to see Matt Stafford in a Lions uniform. QB go there to end their career. This would be a huge lost for UGA program. One of the best QB to at UGA.

Aaron Murray or Logan Gray, time to shine now. Sac, who do you think will be our starting QB?

joe cox.. people have forgotten him, but don't.. he has the arm and the ability and people forget the type of talent he has.. i am not worried if stafford and moreno leave..