Draft Projection Debate

xFalconLord

I have these debates going and the current issue is regarding C.J. Spiller. A friend of mine thinks he is a good NFL prospect and believes he will be a starter in the NFL. My buddy is an FSU fan and he thinks hes a lot like Warrick Dunn.

My argument to him: C.J. Spiller isnt going to be durable enough to be an every down back. He can probably do some good things in the return game and as a 3rd down back like Leon Washington or Reggie Bush. I think NFL GM's are shying away from these guys as high draft picks. I think Leon is more of a running back than Reggie is, but C.J. Spiller doesnt have the toughness to be a good #1 running back in the NFL. He isnt very physical. Spiller is stellar in space in 1v1 matchups, but in the NFL, defenses swarm to the ball. I have to remind him that Warrick Dunn has never carried the ball 300 times in a season.

What do you guys think of spiller? Where will he be drafted and what will be his nfl impact? Whose career does he mimick?

I think CJ can, and will be a starter in the league and he will do very well. Just being behind Davis is the only reason Spiller hasn't shown himself capable of being an every down back IMO. I don't think the Dunn comparison is acurate though. I think he's more like Robert Smith the former Buckeye/Viking. Spiller will be a very plesant suprise in my opinion.

I think CJ can, and will be a starter in the league and he will do very well. Just being behind Davis is the only reason Spiller hasn't shown himself capable of being an every down back IMO. I don't think the Dunn comparison is acurate though. I think he's more like Robert Smith the former Buckeye/Viking. Spiller will be a very plesant suprise in my opinion.

You would need to put a 25 pound vest on Spiller to be like Robert Smith was.. Spiller doesnt have the body type to play football at 210-215 pounds. Hes got a tiny frame, plus he would lose his speed adding weight. The problem is durability. Hes been injured in college, just imagine when he gets to the pros. That is my point.

You would need to put a 25 pound vest on Spiller to be like Robert Smith was.. Spiller doesnt have the body type to play football at 210-215 pounds. Hes got a tiny frame, plus he would lose his speed adding weight. The problem is durability. Hes been injured in college, just imagine when he gets to the pros. That is my point.

Time will tell re: injuries and yes he is small to compare to Smith. But to me the Dunn comparison also misses the mark. Spiller does indeed have some power and he is much faster than Dunn ever was IMO. I just don't believe that Spiller will end up neing a situational/3rd down back. And he's much more than a scat back too. Maybe he's Tony Dorsett...ish?

Spiller has only missed 1 full game and part of another in 3 years of college football. James Davis has missed more.

Time will tell re: injuries and yes he is small to compare to Smith. But to me the Dunn comparison also misses the mark. Spiller does indeed have some power and he is much faster than Dunn ever was IMO. I just don't believe that Spiller will end up neing a situational/3rd down back. And he's much more than a scat back too. Maybe he's Tony Dorsett...ish?

After further consideration......... maybe he's Norwood. Maybe he cannot be an every down back, but he runs with enough speed and tenacity that he can take it between the tackles and still gain positive yards. Another guy he may be similar to is the rookie rb with the Titans who played at East Carolina. Heck, I don't know. But I think Spiller will be a significant cog for some team.

Spiller has only missed 1 full game and part of another in 3 years of college football. James Davis has missed more.

You think hes an NFL starter?

Im not saying he cant do anything in the NFL, but I am saying hes a Leon Washington -- Darren Sproles type player. He could help a team, but hes not going to be the main cog on any team. If I am drafting on the first day, I want a guy that can be the future, a main cog. I wouldnt draft Spiller until the 3rd round.

I'm not sure you've watched Spiller much this season honestly. He isn't a physical back, but he has made a much better effort this season to run inside more. I'm not sure if he will be a 20-25 carry back, but he's shown a lot more than Leon Washington ever did at FSU. He could have a Chris Johnson-like impact.

You think hes an NFL starter?

Im not saying he cant do anything in the NFL, but I am saying hes a Leon Washington -- Darren Sproles type player. He could help a team, but hes not going to be the main cog on any team. If I am drafting on the first day, I want a guy that can be the future, a main cog. I wouldnt draft Spiller until the 3rd round.

It depends on your definition of a starter really.

I'm not sure you've watched Spiller much this season honestly. He isn't a physical back, but he has made a much better effort this season to run inside more. I'm not sure if he will be a 20-25 carry back, but he's shown a lot more than Leon Washington ever did at FSU. He could have a Chris Johnson-like impact.

Chris Johnson is pretty close to an every down back. LenDale White should be kicked off the team after his recent comments. Anyway, Johnson is a centerpeice for Tennessee. I dont think Spiller has the bad frame that Johnson has that can withstand those hits.