We Are a First Half Team

Ryan too White

For the first time in as long as I can remember, the Falcons offense explodes out of the gate. We score in the first quarter, often on our first possession of the game.

This is evidence of two things - one, excellent gameplanning by our coaching staff. The first 20 or so offensive plays are usually scripted, and we are having great success with these. Two - our players show emotion from the beginning. I realize it is not popular around here to refer to the 02-07 years, but the offense under YKW often sputtered out of the gate. I remember us playing from behind, more often than not.

This season, the shoe is on the other foot. We put our opponents into a difficult position early on, and the coaching staff does a great job of applying consistent pressure.

Now, in order to become a championship-caliber team, we must win all four quarters. But it is certainly easier to go into halftime up 2 scores than down 2.

For the first time in as long as I can remember, the Falcons offense explodes out of the gate. We score in the first quarter, often on our first possession of the game.

This is evidence of two things - one, excellent gameplanning by our coaching staff. The first 20 or so offensive plays are usually scripted, and we are having great success with these. Two - our players show emotion from the beginning. I realize it is not popular around here to refer to the 02-07 years, but the offense under YKW often sputtered out of the gate. I remember us playing from behind, more often than not.

This season, the shoe is on the other foot. We put our opponents into a difficult position early on, and the coaching staff does a great job of applying consistent pressure.

Now, in order to become a championship-caliber team, we must win all four quarters. But it is certainly easier to go into halftime up 2 scores than down 2.

I think what your talking about will come in the near future... Once we sure up our D, and get more experience as a team, we will be even tougher to beat. Think of how hard it would be to beat a team who starts fast on O and has a stingy D... TD, get it done baby... :D

More importantly, we have a 4th quarter QB. That was one area where YKW struggled. I'm sure part of the reason was that he ran around so much for the first 3. I remember some crazy statistic where he hadn't thrown a 4th quarter TD in X seasons. If you look at his stats broken down by quarters over his career, YKW was at his worst in the 4th quarter. Matt Ryan on the other hand is at his 2nd best, only better in the 1st quarter. YKW's stats are over 6 seasons, whereas Ryan is in his 1st season.

YKW - 69.5 QB Rating, 52% completion, 6.6 ypa, 12 TD's to 13 INT's, 7 lost fumbles (12 TD's to 20 turnovers)

Matt Ryan - 89.3 QB Rating, 58.2% completion, 7.5 ypa, 3 TD's to 1 INT, 0 lost fumbles (3 TD's to 1 turnover)

on your 9th post you categorize the team as a first half team, oh brother!

Falcons have like always been a team that starts fast since Mora real talk

are you serious? we didnt start fast under mora or petrino....at least from 05 and on. i dont really remember how we used to start in 04, but for a while (under mora) we were one of the slowest starting teams and didnt score a TD on our opening possesion in like 20+ straight games or something.

we've scored a TD on our opening possesion in 3 games this year, which isnt too bad.

Im not saying this is the extent of our abilities at all. I didnt realize the negative connotations "first half team" implied when I made the post.

Im just saying that I always remember the team being down at halftime, and the dismal record we had in that setting.

We have an extremely clutch quarterback, and a rising receiving corps that is finally living up to their draft position.

I'm just saying, that now, we sometimes start out the 2nd half with a commanding lead. Carolina, Oakland, Chicago - even tied with Green Bay.

I should have been more clear with the topic heading, I apologize.

:mellow: :huh:

John Madden, is that you?

He didn't mention Brett Favre enough for it to be Madden. lol

Yeah, gotta love the fast start, but lookie lookie at the 4th quarter. Scored as many points in the 4th alone as the Panthers did the entire game. But yeah, definite improvement over past Falcons teams when it comes to fast starts.