I want some analysis on this....

Atowndown

on that 40 yd gain by Smith was BOLEY suppose to be covering him? I know it was blown coverage all around, but how stupid to have a linebacker covering the fastest receiver in the league....not to mention, we blew coverage on Steve Smith like 3-4 times....of ALL the players on the Panthers to blow coverage on....Steve Smith is NOT the one lol.....Smith worked Foxworth though.......not going to lie....of course Smith works almost every corner....Houston did a good job yesterday but that one play that foxy was all over smith and smith adjusted and caught it at the sideline was a great play.....but Foxy has to start playing the ball more.....hes going to end up getting flagged for interference.....

on that 40 yd gain by Smith was BOLEY suppose to be covering him? I know it was blown coverage all around, but how stupid to have a linebacker covering the fastest receiver in the league....not to mention, we blew coverage on Steve Smith like 3-4 times....of ALL the players on the Panthers to blow coverage on....Steve Smith is NOT the one lol.....Smith worked Foxworth though.......not going to lie....of course Smith works almost every corner....Houston did a good job yesterday but that one play that foxy was all over smith and smith adjusted and caught it at the sideline was a great play.....but Foxy has to start playing the ball more.....hes going to end up getting flagged for interference.....

Some OC design plays to get that LB matched up with the WR, but in a normal defense, 40 yards down the field is Safety.

Some OC design plays to get that LB matched up with the WR, but in a normal defense, 40 yards down the field is Safety.

Yeah but if you saw he shouldnt have been free running that long Coleman had to break off the Y receievers route to go tackle smith...thats why when Coleman got up he was pissed......because there should have been someone covering smith man to man. He ran past Boley...AND Chevis Jackson who was in sometype of soft zone....

Yeah but if you saw he shouldnt have been free running that long Coleman had to break off the Y receievers route to go tackle smith...thats why when Coleman got up he was pissed......because there should have been someone covering smith man to man. He ran past Boley...AND Chevis Jackson who was in sometype of soft zone....

I didn't see it...I just know that Smith had 158, so whatever we tried to do....it didn't work...LOL!!!!

I didn't see it...where did Houston end up? Besides, I'm not too comfortable with Houston.... :wacko:

He ended up covering a guy who was covered by the LB on his side. I dont remember if it was Boley or Brooking. I plan on watching the game when I get off again. But I think it was a tightend they were covering. Maybe King.

He ended up covering a guy who was covered by the LB on his side. I dont remember if it was Boley or Brooking. I plan on watching the game when I get off again. But I think it was a tightend they were covering. Maybe King.

Well beginning of the play the ENTIRE linebacking corps look confused....shouldve called a timeout....and Boley looked like he was suppose to be matched on the slot receiver (smith) but was looking around confused then the ball was hiked and boley froze and smith just ran right past him...i was like CRAP!!! i knew it was bad....then he ran past Jacksons zone...and i was like oh man....this is going to be bad...THANK GOD COLEMAN realized...and broke out of his assignment....

On most of Smith's receptions we were in a cover 2 or cover 3 zone. Smith is excellent at getting open in two deep zones, that's what he does. We did man up to him a couple of times and he caught a couple of nice hitch passes. One on Houston and the other on Foxworth I believe. Our corners need to do a better job against top rated WR either bumping and jamming them at the line or backpeddling and reading the QB a little better (Hall used to always read the QB and route and never the WR, the CB's we have now always read the WR - there are times when you should do one and times when you should do the other). The zone did what it is suposed to do, but our lack of a dominate pass rush is why the WR's were open. Anyone, and I mean anyone can get open on a zone if the QB has time to read the coverage and find the opening in the zones. Zone coverage is really made to stop quick passes and intermediate passes long enough for the pass rush to get to the QB.