What's all that Malarky?

helmsman

After the game last night I was listning to the post-game show on 92.9 and a caller called in to the crew and asked a good question.

He said that he was comfortable with the entire orginization, except for one piece. Malarky.

Malarky is a former head coach who without a doubt has another head coaching job in his future. This guy has been instrumental in his scheming and play-calling. His contract ends after this year and I am curious to know how many of you out their think he will go somewhere else?

I mean, he could very well be up for a head coaching job. What is this boards thoughts and opinions about this situation? I would love to see him stay in Atlanta another 2-3 years if not more.

After the game last night I was listning to the post-game show on 92.9 and a caller called in to the crew and asked a good question.

He said that he was comfortable with the entire orginization, except for one piece. Malarky.

Malarky is a former head coach who without a doubt has another head coaching job in his future. This guy has been instrumental in his scheming and play-calling. His contract ends after this year and I am curious to know how many of you out their think he will go somewhere else?

I mean, he could very well be up for a head coaching job. What is this boards thoughts and opinions about this situation? I would love to see him stay in Atlanta another 2-3 years if not more.

I look at it this way....If Mularkey is offered a head coaching job (Bengals, Lions??) and wants to go Bill Musgrave could be our OC and we would be fine...........

So you think it would be that easy to replace a guy that has so much experience and chemistry with our team?

Just put in Musgrave and all is the same or better?

I cant believe that. I believe losing him would have to put us back atleast a small step. You see how things are rolling with him there, put someone else on the job and now its a whole new scheme.. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Maybe im just worrying about nothing, but I hardly think the situation is as easy to fix as you stated. Just my opinion though.

His contract is not an issue. He will be with us until we either fire him, or he is offered a HC job. I also think that his poor showing as a HC previously demonstrated that he is a better OC than HC. I think he'll be here a long time. But, I agree that he is not interchangeable and would be greatly missed if he left.

Malarky made it clear in an interview that his job comfort was more important than being a HC. He said he didnt dismiss that he would ever be a HC again, but wasnt in a rush to do so, especially if it was on a bad team situation.

I think we will have him for at least the 09 and 10 season.

So you think it would be that easy to replace a guy that has so much experience and chemistry with our team?

I cant believe that. I believe losing him would have to put us back atleast a small step. You see how things are rolling with him there, put someone else on the job and now its a whole new scheme.. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Maybe im just worrying about nothing, but I hardly think the situation is as easy to fix as you stated. Just my opinion though.

Musgrave doesnt have a "sceme" and I believe that if he was the one chosen they would still run our current offense. Sure the playcalling would be different but the plays wouldnt be. I also believe that next season Matt Ryan will be allowed to call his plays at the line.

I am hoping we get at least one more year out of him.

He has been doing a knock out job for us, but he is only one year removed from being demoted to like TE coaches I think in Miami.

I bet teams will let him cook for at least another year before they move him up on their wish list.

Two teams already have their new coaches in place. Mora and Caldwell.

Al Davis is insane and may hire one of his garden gnomes as HC.

I think Haslett actually has a shot of getting the Rams job. Maybe not though.

San Fran scares me because that young acting owner they have out there might be watching.

Other teams that might be looking

Chiefs: Herm probably gets another year.

Lions: I bet they go for someone with a rebuilding reputation. Shotty maybe?

Browns: Romeo might be on the hot seat. Not sure yet.

Just my opinion though.

Seems like MM needs a year or two more of success before his is smoking hot.

That DC for the Giants is probably the hot pick this year.

Sounds to me like its mixed the whole career. Some good, then some bad, now some good again in the current situation. I like the guy, no questions here, tip the hat even, but losing Malarky would hurt what we have now at a time when we need the coachng staff and managment to be solid to continue the transformation to the new Atlanta Falcons. I hope he stays atleast until the first phase of rebuilding is over and done with.

So you think it would be that easy to replace a guy that has so much experience and chemistry with our team? Musgrave has been here longer than Mularkey so I don't believe that chemistry is an issue....

Just put in Musgrave and all is the same or better? I didn't say it would be the same or better. I said that we would be fine....

You see how things are rolling with him there, put someone else on the job and now its a whole new scheme.. If it aint broke dont fix it. Just because Mularkey might leave doesn't mean that we wouldn't keep his offense, especially if we hired the OC from within our organization. I'm sure that even if we hired an OC from somewhere else there are probably a couple of potential OCs who would install a very similar offense..

So you think it would be that easy to replace a guy that has so much experience and chemistry with our team? Musgrave has been here longer than Mularkey so I don't believe that chemistry is an issue....

Just put in Musgrave and all is the same or better? I didn't say it would be the same or better. I said that we would be okay....

You see how things are rolling with him there, put someone else on the job and now its a whole new scheme.. If it aint broke dont fix it. Just because Mularkey might leave doesn't mean that we wouldn't keep his offense, especially if we hired the OC from within our organization. I'm sure that even if we hired an OC from somewhere else there are probably a couple of potential OCs who would install a very similar offense..

I agree with what you say Gritz, I just think you are making a substantial dilemna seem like the choice between mashed potatoes or baked.

I would be intrested to know when switching OC's with a rookie/very young QB has EVER shown positive results in the NFL. When I think back to the most recent example (Alex Smith) It sends chills down my spine. Remember Vick? All the diffrent coaches he had and schemes every other year?

I would compare this to a child. You want your child to have a routine, a set path to maturity when he/she will be able to make their own good decisions. If your constantly moving a child around, switching schools and churches or marriages, it almost ALWAYS has a negative impact.

Matt Ryan is like... a Genius baby in the NFL. He is way beyond his experience level but I still believe that if you start changing things around on the guy so early the reprucussions will not be favorable.

I agree with what you say Gritz, I just think you are making a substantial dilemna seem like the choice between mashed potatoes or baked.

I would be intrested to know when switching OC's with a rookie/very young QB has EVER shown positive results in the NFL. When I think back to the most recent example (Alex Smith) It sends chills down my spine. Remember Vick? All the diffrent coaches he had and schemes every other year?

I would compare this to a child. You want your child to have a routine, a set path to maturity when he/she will be able to make their own good decisions. If your constantly moving a child around, switching schools and churches or marriages, it almost ALWAYS has a negative impact.

Matt Ryan is like... a Genius baby in the NFL. He is way beyond his experience level but I still believe that if you start changing things around on the guy so early the reprucussions will not be favorable.

That's a good post helmsman....I just have faith in Dimitroff and Smith that if Mularkey did go elsewhere these 2 guys who now call the shots for our team would not go and get an OC who was radically different from Mularkey....

I'm not lessening the positive impact Mularkey has done for us this year. He has been great. I have confidence in our decision makers for this franchise now.

First of all I certainly don't think it's a certainty that Mularkey leaves after this season despite a contract situation or looks from another team. However if you hope for the best and plan for the worst then Musgrave would seem like a likely guy to move up but if that is the case then why didn't he move up when Smith came in? Could it be that Smith wanted a guy that he was more familiar with or whose offense he was familiar with?

I haven't been consistently happy with Mularkeys playcalling this season although he did a good job with it yesterday. If he leaves and we bring in someone other than Musgrave I really hope that it's an OC who will learn parts of our current scheme and learn our verbage although I honestly do think that Ryan is smart enough to adjust and find success. He's no Alex Smith.

First of all I certainly don't think it's a certainty that Mularkey leaves after this season despite a contract situation or looks from another team. However if you hope for the best and plan for the worst then Musgrave would seem like a likely guy to move up but if that is the case then why didn't he move up when Smith came in? Could it be that Smith wanted a guy that he was more familiar with or whose offense he was familiar with?

I haven't been consistently happy with Mularkeys playcalling this season although he did a good job with it yesterday. If he leaves and we bring in someone other than Musgrave I really hope that it's an OC who will learn parts of our current scheme and learn our verbage although I honestly do think that Ryan is smart enough to adjust and find success. He's no Alex Smith.

Yeah, good post cory....Mularkey definitely dialed down the gadget plays yesterday.

That's an astute observation on Ryan too. The kid has already proven this year that comparisons to other young quarterbacks and their respective situations don't apply to him.......... ;)

It don't matter too me much, because I sometimes question his play calling in desperate situations.