On the stump for Claude Humphfrey

Swami57

Gang,

Most of you are too young to remember Claude Humphrey's playing days as an Atlanta Falcon. I was eleven years old when Humphrey was Atlanta's first round draft pick and earned Defensive ROY honors in 1968. He was my first gridiron hero and I wore his number 87 proudly from pee-wee football through high school. He was a dominating player in his era, in the mold of Cart Eller, Deacon Jones and Joe Greene.

Despite playing on a Falcons team that had only three winning seasons during the 10-year span that he played, Humphrey managed to earn first- or second-team All-NFL or All-Pro honors eight times. He was also named first- or second-team All-NFC seven times and was selected to play in six Pro Bowls. In 1977 He was an All-Pro anchor of the famed Gritz Blitz defense which holds the record for fewest points allowed in an NFL season

Humphrey is one of two senior member nominees for the NFL Hall of Fame in 2009 and hopefully will finally get his due. All of the candidates for this years Ring of Honor are deserving and were great players in their own right but as the elder statesman of the group I think it's high time we honored Claude. Please vote now, this years selection will be inducted at the Bucs game on Dec. 14th. Here's the link to vote:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/People/Alumn...r_Nominees.aspx

All those guys that are up for the vote are more than worthy of being in the ring of honor. I would have no problem with Claude making it in based on what I've heard of him (starting watching the Falcons in 1978)..I voted for Mike Kenn because the offensive line guys never get any love and Kenn was EVERY BIT as solid as HOF Anthony Munoz if not better. Kenn went YEARS without giving up a sack. Riggs was a monster who played on some pretty lousey teams and thats too bad.

Hope to see all these guys make it in eventually.

If only these young guys had seen Mr Humphfrey play you would not have to ask for votes.I know all of the guys that are in The Ring were good,but they were not in #87 class.People talk about Nobis all the time and he was great and Claude was just as great.You know Abe is good but Claude was good as the "DEACON"..A hellava Falcon.I was at the first Falcon game played in ATL.FCS.What a thrill.......

Well, I am not only old enough to remember Humphrey, but I can boast having seen him play in Fulton County Stadium myself. I do believe that he should be voted in first. But I'm torn because Gerald Riggs is my all time favorite Falcon (followed by Jesse Tuggle). I'd say based on seniority: Humphrey, Riggs, then Kenn.