TE prospects look much better later

jermaine gresham is a bust waiting to happen. he has the hands of reggie kelly, and loves to jump up for balls thrown waist high.

brandon pettigrew is the next jeremy shockey, immensly talented, but a guy whose off field issues will probably ruin his career.

second day guys that i like are ryan purvis, bear pascoe, and shawn nelson. i dont think i liked darius hills hands, he short arms some pass attempts resulting in incompletions.

chase coffman is the only first day guy i like but i think he will be gone before it makes sense for us to grab him.

I think its to early to call Pettigrew the next Shockey,

"Charged with felony assault and battery of a police officer in February, 2008. Police responded to an altercation at a residence in Stillwater, OK. When asked to leave, Pettigrew refused and elbowed an officer in the chest. Pettigrew has since pleaded guilty to a lesser charge (misdemeanor assault and battery) in return for fines paid and 20 hours of community service. He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor public intoxication in the incident and was fined $100. He received a deferred sentence and won't have a criminal record if he successfully completes probation. Coach Mike Gundy declined to suspend Pettigrew, saying in February that he would allow the case to run its course."

I think this was his first incident, correct me If I am wrong, Shockey has a Dhall personality. I don't think I have ever heard Brandon's personality destroying team chemistry. If he fell to us in round 2 I would take him without a second's thought.

history is what it is. every time teams ignore brushes with the law it comes back to bite em in the butt more often than not. even though pettigrew could change his personality, character traits, people he hangs out with, places he goes, and decisions he has made in the past, i believe it is safer to assume he will not. players with bad hands in college seldomly become known for having the best hands in the NFL, players with storied injury histories in college seldomly set a new NFL record for consecutive games played, you got to draft guys for what they are, not for what you want them to be. i've seen it over and over. even though there are exceptions to the rule, it is so rare that your better off picking those guys in rd 6 or 7, not 1 or 2. i stand firm on no thanks to pettigrew. i will say he could be the best TE in the draft if he wanted to be though. the very first thing a player has to have for me to want them is want to, not ability.

McFadden got into a bar incident last year, the first time something happened to him and was still considered a top 10 pick, and he hasn't gotten into any trouble since then. Some times these things are just a one of occurence that wakes the player up and changes their sttitude. I see no reason to believe that a one off incident is going to determine how he behaves for the rest of his career.