eHarmony launches gay website

TRENTON, N.J. (BP)--eHarmony, Inc., the company behind the Internet matchmaking website founded by an evangelical psychologist and initially targeted to the Christian community, has decided to launch a new matchmaking website for homosexual singles instead of fighting a nearly four-year-old complaint in court.

The news came as a shock to many pro-family leaders and attorneys, who expected the well-respected company -- still popular among Christian singles -- to take the matter to court. Those same leaders, though, say the news is another example of how laws protecting homosexuality are incompatible with religious freedom.

The new website's database will remain separate from the original database, removing any chance that a heterosexual single will be matched with a homosexual one.

eHarmony.com was launched in 2000 by psychologist Neil Clark Warren and its first commercials often targeted Christians audiences, particularly on Christian radio. In those beginning years Warren -- seen in the company's TV commercials -- was featured on Focus on the Family's radio programs. He also had three books published by Focus on the Family, although he has since bought the rights to the books. Since its founding, eHarmony has broadened its audience considerably. It cites data and claims that "more than 236 eHarmony members" are married every day in the U.S.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRENTON, N.J. (BP)--eHarmony, Inc., the company behind the Internet matchmaking website founded by an evangelical psychologist and initially targeted to the Christian community, has decided to launch a new matchmaking website for homosexual singles instead of fighting a nearly four-year-old complaint in court.

The news came as a shock to many pro-family leaders and attorneys, who expected the well-respected company -- still popular among Christian singles -- to take the matter to court. Those same leaders, though, say the news is another example of how laws protecting homosexuality are incompatible with religious freedom.

The new website's database will remain separate from the original database, removing any chance that a heterosexual single will be matched with a homosexual one.

eHarmony.com was launched in 2000 by psychologist Neil Clark Warren and its first commercials often targeted Christians audiences, particularly on Christian radio. In those beginning years Warren -- seen in the company's TV commercials -- was featured on Focus on the Family's radio programs. He also had three books published by Focus on the Family, although he has since bought the rights to the books. Since its founding, eHarmony has broadened its audience considerably. It cites data and claims that "more than 236 eHarmony members" are married every day in the U.S.

Good for you, now you can find your true love!!!!

They are forcing a dating website to also include homosexual matches?

welcome to the new, more open, free-er, America. :lol:

Next step, forcing bars to have "guys get in free" nights too.

Forcing?

From the article:

TRENTON, N.J. (BP)--eHarmony, Inc., the company behind the Internet matchmaking website founded by an evangelical psychologist and initially targeted to the Christian community, has decided to launch a new matchmaking website for homosexual singles

please explain

I'm sorry. Dr. Clark, the founder of eHarmony would rather not include the gay community in his match making business. .. his target groug were heterosexuals. The gay community forced his hand by sueing him, thus violating his religious principles that courtship and marriage should be between members of the opposite sex.

I'm sorry. Dr. Clark, the founder of eHarmony would rather not include the gay community in his match making business. .. his target groug were heterosexuals. The gay community forced his hand by sueing him, thus violating his religious principles that courtship and marriage should be between members of the opposite sex.

He could have took it to court. He DECIDED not to.

OK. Yeah, that actually sucks, However, it kind of gets into that area of the civil rights movement where the argument was used that a guy who owned a diner, for example, ought to be able to do with his property as he saw fit, i.e., serve whites only. I think he probably would have won had he taken that to court but the bad publicity was a hit he wouldn't want to take. I wonder if he could counter sue and make the gay group that sued him pay for the implementation and operation of the gay site? :lol:

ugh, religious freedom is your own personal freedom. Stopping someone's pursuit of happiness insures your personal freedom of religion?

That's a## backwards.

How does it take away your freedom of religion. You never have the freedom to oppress other people, regardless of your religion.

Ok, not the topic I want to run around in. That's all, see ya!

... the news is another example of how laws protecting homosexuality are incompatible with religious freedom.

That's how!

again..how does this affect YOU.

I can agree if E Harmony was a religious institution, there is NO WAY they should be forced to acknowledge or support gay lifestyles. But they are not a religious institute, they are a for profit dating service and thus have to adhere to laws concerning discrimination, just like golf courses and nightclubs etc......

And for all you guys fearing of Muslims this past year, why the concern with religious freedom all of a sudden?

OK. Yeah, that actually sucks, However, it kind of gets into that area of the civil rights movement where the argument was used that a guy who owned a diner, for example, ought to be able to do with his property as he saw fit, i.e., serve whites only. I think he probably would have won had he taken that to court but the bad publicity was a hit he wouldn't want to take. I wonder if he could counter sue and make the gay group that sued him pay for the implementation and operation of the gay site? :lol:

all of these match-making sites are PAY services. he'll be raking in dough from all these fruitcakes now, not just fat chicks and short men.

it really was a poor business decision for him not to do this long ago.

... the news is another example of how laws protecting homosexuality are incompatible with religious freedom.

That's how!

Huh? so religious freedom means the freedom to condemn and try and snuff out a lifestyle that is legal but you don't approve of? Almost every freedom in this country is based on the idea of the freedom can not cross the line and intrude on the right of another person. This e harmony thing does not affect non gay members and does not intrude on your right to practice your religion. The only thing it intrudes on is your belief that you can somehow control others to conform to your own religion.

Just in case you missed it ... the founder of eHarmony was being sued. The homosexual community were forcing the issue by excluding them. Dr. Clark was forced into action that went against his religious principles. Is this not violating his rights?

You said it violated his religious rights. E harmony is NOT a religious institution. It is a public, for profit business so he cannot discriminate under the law.

His rights were not violated at all.

Some of you are commenting on this without understanding what is behind this story. eHarmony is a private enterprise that chose to match heterosexual couples. This isn't even a religious issue, as eHarmony matched non religious couples. Since it is a private enterprise, they are free to choose what niche as well as who and how they choose to match couples. It's a heterosexual dating service for heaven's sake!!! It's no more oppressive to society than a women's or men's only health club.

You should also know that there is a class action suit pending in California that a homosexual group is going to file against eHarmony. The company was stupid in that they chose to settle with the idiot that brought the suit, and decided to open this "alternative" site. Now they've set themselves up for further litigation from other groups.

I don't care how you feel about the homosexual issue, this should scare the heck out of everyone on the grounds of private property rights.

Here's a story with more detail behind the situation.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology...ony-goes-g.html

EHarmony to offer same-sex matches after New Jersey settlement

Coming soon to EHarmony -- Adam and Steve.

The Pasadena-based dating website, heavily promoted by Christian evangelical leaders when it was founded, has agreed in a civil rights settlement to give up its heterosexuals-only policy and offer same-sex matches.

EHarmony was started by psychologist Neil Clark Warren, who is known for his mild-mannered television and radio advertisements. It must not only implement the new policy by March 31 but also give the first 10,000 same-sex registrants a free six-month subscription.

"That was one of the things I asked for," said Eric McKinley, 46, who complained to New Jersey's Division on Civil Rights after being turned down for a subscription in 2005.

The company said that Warren was not giving interviews on the settlement. But attorney Theodore Olson, who issued a statement on the company's behalf, made clear that it did not agree to offer gay matches willingly.

"Even though we believed that the complaint resulted from an unfair characterization of our business," Olson said, "we ultimately decided it was best to settle this case with the attorney general since litigation outcomes can be unpredictable."

The settlement, which did not find that EHarmony broke any laws, calls for the company to either offer the gay matches ...

... on its current venue or create a new site for them. EHarmony has opted to create a site called Compatiblepartners.net.

Warren had said in past interviews that he didn't want to feature same-sex services on EHarmony -- which matches people based on long questionnaires concerning personality traits, relationship history and interests -- because he felt he didn't know enough about gay relationships.

McKinley, who works at a nonprofit in New Jersey he declined to identify, said that he had originally heard of EHarmony through its radio ads. "You hear these wonderful people saying, 'I met my soul mate on EHarmony.' I thought, I could do that too," he said.

But he couldn't. When he tried to enter the site, the pull-down menus had categories only for a man seeking a woman or a woman seeking a man. "I felt the whole range of emotions," McKinley said. "Anger, that I was a second-class citizen."

But instead of just surfing over to a dating site that admits gay lonely hearts, he contacted the New Jersey civil rights division to file a complaint.

The settlement also calls for EHarmony to pay $50,000 to the state for administrative costs and $5,000 to McKinley.

McKinley hasn't found the man of his dreams yet. And though EHarmony has to offer him a year's free subscription on the new service, he's not sure he'll accept it.

"They are going to know my name," McKinley said. "They could be watching my membership."

You said it violated his religious rights. E harmony is NOT a religious institution. It is a public, for profit business so he cannot discriminate under the law.

His rights were not violated at all.

I'm not an attorney nor an expert in the law but discrination goes on all the time in the business world. Has anyone ever been turned down for having bad credit? Has a person ever been refused a drink at a bar for having one too many already/ These are forms of discrimination.