What do yall thinkk about Rey Maualuga?

X-Man21

Was drooling over him after their bowl game last year.. vs. illionois I think??

I think he's vastly overrated. He is just a run-stuffing true MLB (which we already have in Curtis Lofton). Maualuga isn't fluid enough to play OLB, either.

Completely and utterly disagree. No way he is overrated. This one will make you look foolish I am afraid.

Completely and utterly disagree. No way he is overrated. This one will make you look foolish I am afraid.

:lol:

Why would this make me look foolish? Because I have a different opinion than you or the majority? He's a good collegiate MLB. He's stout against the run and is a very good blitzer, but other than that, he's not fluid enough to be a good cover LB in the pros.

I think he's vastly overrated. He is just a run-stuffing true MLB (which we already have in Curtis Lofton). Maualuga isn't fluid enough to play OLB, either.

Have to disagree with you on that. Maualuga is more athletic than Lofton. I think he has the speed and ability to play outside. Hate to make references to other players but watching him play reminds me of Merriman. He, Lofton and Boley would solidify our starting LB position for years.

Im not sure what part you dont understand.

Dude, WTF are you talking about? You said you disagreed with me about him, and I simply stated that I think he's overrated. The OP was wanting to know if TD would draft him. Maualuga looks to be solely a MLB at the next level (we have our MLB). Like I have said several times, he's not fluid enough to be a cover guy (which OLBs are) in the pros.

I'm sorry we don't agree on a player. Big ****ing deal.

Here's a little tidbit from a recent article:

JR: Give me a couple of guys who you find overrated.

Scout: Well, I’m not a west coast guy but I just do not get the hype around Rey Maualuga (USC linebacker). So what if he’s a giant? That kid has zero football instincts and he isn’t one bit better than when he got there. Every time he actually makes a play he looks great, but watch him on the plays where he isn’t making the tackle. He’s taking himself out of plays and he cannot turn at all.

Scout: Well, I’m not a west coast guy but I just do not get the hype around Rey Maualuga (USC linebacker). So what if he’s a giant? That kid has zero football instincts and he isn’t one bit better than when he got there. Every time he actually makes a play he looks great, but watch him on the plays where he isn’t making the tackle. He’s taking himself out of plays and he cannot turn at all.

Basically all he said was "when rey makes plays he looks great and when he doesn't make a play he doesn't." What makes that any different from any other player?

Basically all he said was "when rey makes plays he looks great and when he doesn't make a play he doesn't." What makes that any different from any other player?

He also said that he has no instincts (which are what make the great LBs) and that he also can't turn (in other words, he isn't able to flip his hips and run stride-for-stride with guys). Because of this, he doesn't have what you look for in an OLB.

We don't need a MLB. Period. Curtis Lofton has stepped into that position and has excelled. Therefore, we need an OLB (most likely a WLB) to replace Brooking. Rey Maualuga doesn't project to OLB at the next level. That's the crux of this discussion.

Seriously??? Wow thats a shock

Wouldn't we all?

My point being is that he plays a lot like him...Very physical, aggressive, etc. etc. etc. But that's about it. Running around on the field is what he does best. Doesn't seem to understand the linebacker spot to an extend that warrants him a "must get" draft pick. He can get away with it though because of how big and physical he is. Watch a USC game and watch him play...you'll see what I mean.

Wouldn't we all?

My point being is that he plays a lot like him...Very physical, aggressive, etc. etc. etc. But that's about it. Running around on the field is what he does best. Doesn't seem to understand the linebacker spot to an extend that warrants him a "must get" draft pick. He can get away with it though because of how big and physical he is. Watch a USC game and watch him play...you'll see what I mean.

I agree with you. If we were in the market for a MLB, I'd much rather have James Laurinaitis. Even though you could argue that Maualuga makes more big plays or whatever, Laurinaitis is not only extremely talented, but he is one of the most instinctful LBs to come out in a while. On top of that, Laurinaitis could probably play all 3 LB spots in the NFL.

He also said that he has no instincts (which are what make the great LBs) and that he also can't turn (in other words, he isn't able to flip his hips and run stride-for-stride with guys). Because of this, he doesn't have what you look for in an OLB.

We don't need a MLB. Period. Curtis Lofton has stepped into that position and has excelled. Therefore, we need an OLB (most likely a WLB) to replace Brooking. Rey Maualuga doesn't project to OLB at the next level. That's the crux of this discussion.

That is what coaching is for. I by no means am saying Rey would be an out of the box pro bowler but I do believe if coached he could excel playing on the outside. I agree with you on Lofton, he's actually been the most productive linebacker out there. Anyway I think this is somewhat irrelevant because I don't think we'll be drafting Maualuga.