It is funny to me that people say Obama is the first "black" president

jdu00743

I don't know if this comes from the white or black crowd, but why is he just black? He has just as much white blood in him as he does black, and heaven knows the dude is probably whiter in the way he acts than me. If you're going to label him one or the other, he is definitely white.

I think it comes from a kind of racial undercurrent in the white community. It seems like no matter how much white ancestry someone has, if they have any black in there, they are automatically black...It's weird.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this comes from the white or black crowd, but why is he just black? He has just as much white blood in him as he does black, and heaven knows the dude is probably whiter in the way he acts than me. If you're going to label him one or the other, he is definitely white.

I think it comes from a kind of racial undercurrent in the white community. It seems like no matter how much white ancestry someone has, if they have any black in there, they are automatically black...It's weird.

Right on da nose there, bud.

In the South (during the "bad times") to a majority of whites, a person who was mulatto or "mixed" was deemed blasphemous. Any drop of Black blood was the worst thing to have. You could have the whitest skin, but if you had any Black features, forget it.

To coin a phrase from my favorite film, O'Brother, Where Art Thou?: "You all's miscengenated!"

I've come to learn that the only community that will accept you as being a person of that race even if your mixed is the black community. So Asians and Whites don't consider you White or Asian unless you appear to be 100%. Sad, but hey it's the way folks are.

Isnt his father black? I though you were the race of your father.

I'v heard it's scientifically that way but America historically has judged things differently. My dad is Italian American and my mom is "malado"..My dad's skin tone is actually darker than my mothers. Technically that would make me white because of my father..I've never been considered white....Back in the days after slavery I heard they had the one drop rule. Which is crazy because it now would probably include 90% of the population.

He is multi-racial and should be addressed as such.

Well white people's genes are recessive, so it might have something to do with that.

So basically, thousands of years of selective breeding is challenged by 1 drop.

I'v heard it's scientifically that way but America historically has judged things differently. My dad is Italian American and my mom is "malado"..My dad's skin tone is actually darker than my mothers. Technically that would make me white because of my father..I've never been considered white....Back in the days after slavery I heard they had the one drop rule. Which is crazy because it now would probably include 90% of the population.

DNA science can tell if you if you are predominately Caucasian, Amerindian, etc. It's "controversial science" to say the least.

DNA science can tell if you if you are predominately Caucasian, Amerindian, etc. It's "controversial science" to say the least.

Really I didn't know that..I'm not really that interested in knowing honestly. I just consider myself bi-racial because thats what I am and I'm not trying to downplay or reject any part of my culture or dna..It's never really been an issue with me and I don't even think about it until that rare occasion when someone asks "what are you?" or if they think I'm Puerto Rican lol (which happens quite often)....I'm happy with where I come from and don't wanna miss out on the combination of ribs, collard greens, lasagna and biscotti I get to enjoy at family cookouts.. lol

This is totally irrelevant and stupid.

You know he is half either way and people want to fight over the half? Wow

He IS the first president to be of African American descent. Argue over semantics all you want to but THAT is what they mean by first black president and it is rather easy to understand.

I'm not fighting over anything. I just think it's funny.

I dont get why this half thing is so important now when it never has been

1 drop of black blood=black

Thats how it has always been defined in this country

Just because it's how it's always been defined doesn't mean its not dumb and inaccurate...I still remember people gettin mad at Tiger just because he was telling the truth..