Scott Wright, Draft Countdown talk about The Falcons and Terrence Cody

atljbo

I am a Falcon's fan and we have a number of needs ranging from nose tackle to strong safety. With an obvious inability to stop the run do you see Alabama's Terrence Cody as a possibility for Atlanta? How would he fit in a 4-3 system?

Vince

Atlanta, GA

The Falcons have done much better than anyone anticipated this year but I think some of that is being done with smoke and mirrors and I'm not quite sure they're as good as their 6-4 record might otherwise suggest. As you mentioned Atlanta does still have a number of glaring needs and I would rank them in this order:

1. Defensive Tackle

2. Tight End

3. Strong Safety

You can also probably throw outside linebacker in there if either Keith Brooking or Michael Boley leave as unrestricted free agents in the offseason.

A lot will obviously depend on who is available when they are on the clock but I think William Moore, Taylor Mays, Aaron Curry and Jermaine Gresham could all be strong possibilities for Atlanta in the middle of round one.

Defensive tackle is a little trickier because even though I think that is their greatest need I'm just not sure there will be anyone worth taking that high, although Sen'Derrick Marks would probably be the most likely option if he came out. I am still getting a lot of e-mails about Terrence Cody but I am just not sure there are that many fits for raw, one-dimensional run stuffer in round one and I really don't see him being a match for Atlanta. Granted the Falcons do have a 350 pound nose who is going to be 36-years-old in Grady Jackson but for the most part they want smaller, quicker defensive tackles who can penetrate for their scheme and Cody does not fit the bill. When it comes to nose tackle prospects keep an eye on Boston College's B.J. Raji because there are some who feel he could be a first round pick when all is said and done.

- Scott Wright, Draft Countdown

I agree with the Terrence Cody statement....... Mount Cody is a one-dimensional guy..... The only NT taken in the first round has been Vince Wilfork........ Terrence Cody is a 2nd-3rd round pick........

I Think our Defense is smoke and mirrors.... Thats what a bend but not break defense is........ Our whole team is not smoke and mirrors.... Our Offense is high powered........ We have a top 10 special teams....... Our Defense is our weak link

Yea that was Head Busta trying to prove his point but it backfired on him, I guess you haven't been keeping track of our 7 page argument over Cody :)

naw i didnt see that....... i dont see how anybody would want to spend a 1st round pick on Cody...... To be honest.... Teams does not touch a (run stopper only) DT until the 3rd round

Yea that was Head Busta trying to prove his point but it backfired on him, I guess you haven't been keeping track of our 7 page argument over Cody :)

:lol: yeah that was hilarious.

naw i didnt see that....... i dont see how anybody would want to spend a 1st round pick on Cody...... To be honest.... Teams does not touch a (run stopper only) DT until the 3rd round

good point atljbo. i agree with both your posts.

I agree with the Terrence Cody statement....... Mount Cody is a one-dimensional guy..... The only NT taken in the first round has been Vince Wilfork........ Terrence Cody is a 2nd-3rd round pick........

I Think our Defense is smoke and mirrors.... Thats what a bend but not break defense is........ Our whole team is not smoke and mirrors.... Our Offense is high powered........ We have a top 10 special teams....... Our Defense is our weak link

Casey Hampton was a round 1 guy as well as Kris Jenkins and Shaun Rodgers, although they were true 3-4 NTs until this season.

IMO Cody falls into the Gabe Watson mold to a T. Big guy who will draw double teams IF he can keep his body in playing shape. Actually Watson had more talent than Cody though. I would be OK w Cody in round 3 or later.

I would rather have Perry or Raji.

Casey Hampton was a round 1 guy as well as Kris Jenkins and Shaun Rodgers, although they were true 3-4 NTs until this season.

IMO Cody falls into the Gabe Watson mold to a T. Big guy who will draw double teams IF he can keep his body in playing shape. Actually Watson had more talent than Cody though. I would be OK w Cody in round 3 or later.

I would rather have Perry or Raji.

Rogers and Jenkins was drafted to play 4-3 DT......... Those guys are not one-dimensional or was not one-dimensional coming out of college either... Both can pass rush with the best of them inside

Casey Hampton was a 3-4 DT drafted to play that position..... In the last 10 years 2 one-dimensional type NT was taken in the first round..... Both was drafted by teams with nearly compete rosters(didnt have any major needs)

But yea..... Cody is not a guy that i would take in the 1st or 2nd round....... round 3 is ok tho...... He is very raw and will have to lose a little weight but dude will stop the one...... Thats his job

I agree with the Gabe Watson comment..... Everyone had Gabe Watson as a borderline 1st- early 2nd round guy....... Well he slipped to the 4th round

Are you everybody's hype man?

Here he goes again with the pom-poms

eh... 3rd round. :lol:

Dude seriously I thought your were the ring leader but I see your nothing more than the guy who I hypes the show up. Add an argument or two to the threads or don't say nothing at all. (yeah you did it, great post & you got him on that one!) You sound like a ****** that is trying to fit tin the "in" crowd!

Head Busta's response in 3... 2... 1...

Thanks for the introduction!

Watch how I make you all disappear! We've gone thru the draft most of the offense and FA how many pass rushers have we looked for? Can anyone one this thread answer that? I'll help you out below is a link to all of TD acquisitions since he has been our GM. Maybe 1 (Kory Biermann) out of probably 75 transactions? Maybe I missing someone please tell me how many you think.

http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactio...ansactionYear=0

Who knows there football?

Are you everybody's hype man?

eh... 3rd round. :lol:

Dude seriously I thought your were the ring leader but I see your nothing more than the guy who I hypes the show up. Add an argument or two to the threads or don't say nothing at all. (yeah you did it, great post & you got him on that one!) You sound like a ****** that is trying to fit in the "in" crowd!

Head Busta's response in 3... 2... 1...

Thanks for the introduction!

Watch how I make you all disappear! We've gone thru the draft most of the offense and FA how many pass rushers have we looked for? Can anyone one on this thread answer that? I'll help you out below is a link to all of TD acquisitions since he has been our GM. Maybe 1 (Kory Biermann) out of probably 75 transactions? Maybe I missing someone please tell me how many you think. Where are all the people you guys claim to fit our scheme? I'm looking and I can find one anywhere?

http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactio...ansactionYear=0

Who knows there football?

Dude seriously I thought your were the ring leader but I see your nothing more than the guy who I hypes the show up. Add an argument or two to the threads or don't say nothing at all. (yeah you did it, great post & you got him on that one!) You sound like a ****** that is trying to fit tin the "in" crowd!

are you mentally handicapped? honest to god i cant imagine what runs through your head when you post this drivel. i have tried what feels like hundreds of times to explain why i dont think terrance cody is a good fit and you just ignore them and ask why we picked up a scrub dt that weighs over 320 pounds instead of an elite pass rusher. i really shouldnt be letting you get me this riled up but jesus christ what is your problem dude?

you are the ONLY one who sounds like a ****** here.

and just to prove you wrong, here is my argument.

i think terrence cody needs to stay for his senior season, and it looks like he is going to. he needs to lose more weight, improve his conditioning (the two probably go hand in hand, but it still needed to be said), improve his overall technique (imagine if he learned to play with as good of leverage as albert haynesworth has. a 6'5", 330 pound guy like cody should be if he can drop more weight getting under your pads would be impossible to move in the run game as a 3-4 NT) and most of all gain more experience. he is raw and hasnt even played a full year at the D-1 level.

so, i dont think cody is worth a 1st round pick. i dont know if hes worth our 2nd round pick either because he is so one dimensional. i realize you are in love with the guy but you are the one who is full of hype because you think he is a much better prospect than he actually is. with more experience and another offseason to improve his physique and technique he may be a 1st round talent, but i dont think he will ever be as good of a prospect as you seem to think he is.

THAT is my argument. unlike you i have a problem with posting it over... and over... and over again in every single thread, which is why i quoted atljbos post and told him that i agreed with him. why? because it is a waste of time to post the same ignorant stuff repeatedly like you do. especially when it is just ignored (again, usually by you).

and speaking of adding something to the thread, why dont you quit being so d*mn stubborn and have a DISCUSSION instead of trying to talk down to everyone like you know more than everyone. because heres a newsflash: you dont.

-Mr. Offseason

are you mentally handicapped? honest to god i cant imagine what runs through your head when you post this drivel. i have tried what feels like hundreds of times to explain why i dont think terrance cody is a good fit and you just ignore them and ask why we picked up a scrub dt that weighs over 320 pounds instead of an elite pass rusher. i really shouldnt be letting you get me this riled up but jesus christ what is your problem dude?

you are the ONLY one who sounds like a ****** here.

and just to prove you wrong, here is my argument.

i think terrence cody needs to stay for his senior season, and it looks like he is going to. he needs to lose more weight, improve his conditioning (the two probably go hand in hand, but it still needed to be said), improve his overall technique (imagine if he learned to play with as good of leverage as albert haynesworth has. a 6'5", 330 pound guy like cody should be if he can drop more weight getting under your pads would be impossible to move in the run game as a 3-4 NT) and most of all gain more experience. he is raw and hasnt even played a full year at the D-1 level.

so, i dont think cody is worth a 1st round pick. i dont know if hes worth our 2nd round pick either because he is so one dimensional. i realize you are in love with the guy but you are the one who is full of hype because you think he is a much better prospect than he actually is. with more experience and another offseason to improve his physique and technique he may be a 1st round talent, but i dont think he will ever be as good of a prospect as you seem to think he is.

THAT is my argument. unlike you i have a problem with posting it over... and over... and over again in every single thread, which is why i quoted atljbos post and told him that i agreed with him. why? because it is a waste of time to post the same ignorant stuff repeatedly like you do. especially when it is just ignored (again, usually by you).

and speaking of adding something to the thread, why dont you quit being so d*mn stubborn and have a DISCUSSION instead of trying to talk down to everyone like you know more than everyone. because heres a newsflash: you dont.

-Mr. Offseason

With all that said you still have yet to anwser my question? All of our NT that TD has ever looked at have been one dimesional. That is not my decision that is the one of the organization. Please find me a NT on our roster that is not one the dimesional! About me poting it over and over, you think with this posted being created I was going to say something. You think when the hunch bunch (your guys) making comments about me as if I slow, plays let's just say I am not that less of a man. I can have a discuss with 5 people, I can only kick there a**.

I am not stubborn just logical everything I give you is not my opinion it is fact unlike you guys.

-You claim we are looking for pass rushers but yet I have seen that since TD came on.

-You claim Cody doesn't fit our defense because he is one dimensional all of our NT are one dimesional.

All the claims you guys make are because you rather see someone else on our team. It is not like I particular like Cody it just makes the most sense. We are one of the worst teams in run defense he is the best run stopping NT who so happens to fit the mode of all our NT our new GM has ever looked at. That is not a man crush that is logic. You have a buddy of yours who go around discrediting all other SS in FA and the draft yet no one including you don't say anything. Comment on his responds before you question mine. We have the deepest college prospects I can recall in about ten years. A pretty decent FA SS pool with Bulter, Jones & Phillips but yet ever comment me makes is he will rather have Mays because his pants fit better he** I don't know.

Oh one more thing Joe Flacco only played one year in D1 how is he doing and he is a quarterback a much more difficult position to translate into the NFL.

none of your arguments mean much. We brought in Grady. We also brought in Moorehead, who is not a run stopping one dimensional guy. He was actually a pass rusher in CAR. And Jefferson backs up grady. He is a 295 lb DT. And look over our depth chart...there is no UT/NT. We deploy 2 DTs. As this team gets the right pieces for the scheme we will see pentrating DTs.

even if that wasnt the case, there is a big difference between picking up guys for little money in FA and using a round 1 pick on a round 3 talent. We WONT take Cody in round one, and I am willing to bet my posting priveledges on that.

With all that said you still have yet to anwser my question? All of our NT that TD has ever looked at have been one dimesional. That is not my decision that is the one of the organization. Please find me a NT on our roster that is not one the dimesional! About me poting it over and over, you think with this posted being created I was going to say something. You think when the hunch bunch (your guys) making comments about me as if I slow, plays let's just say I am not that less of a man. I can have a discuss with 5 people, I can only kick there a**.

I am not stubborn just logical everything I give you is not my opinion it is fact unlike you guys.

-You claim we are looking for pass rushers but yet I have seen that since TD came on.

-You claim Cody doesn't fit our defense because he is one dimensional all of our NT are one dimesional.

All the claims you guys make are because you rather see someone else on our team. It is not like I particular like Cody it just makes the most sense. We are one of the worst teams in run defense he is the best run stopping NT who so happens to fit the mode of all our NT our new GM has ever looked at. That is not a man crush that is logic. You have a buddy of yours who go around discrediting all other SS in FA and the draft yet no one including you don't say anything. Comment on his responds before you question mine. We have the deepest college prospects I can recall in about ten years. A pretty decent FA SS pool with Bulter, Jones & Phillips but yet ever comment me makes is he will rather have Mays because his pants fit better he** I don't know.

Oh one more thing Joe Flacco only played one year in D1 how is he doing and he is a quarterback a much more difficult position to translate into the NFL.

i have tried repeatedly to answer your question. i have told you that they were cheap, depth signings and some of them were even camp bodies. however you ignored that. kendall moorehead was brought in to add depth behind babs, he is definately a pass rusher. babs is not one dimensional either, he has played the run great and has been good at rushing the passer all year.

youre right, dirty bird does like mays. i have had discussions with him about it and he likes him more than i do. the difference between him liking mays and you liking cody, in my opinion, is that he is open to other solutions (particularly if mays is unavailable) via fa or later in the draft. both him and i like michael hamlin from clemson. you endlessly say that cody is the #1 run stopping DT in the draft and that there is no subsitute for him later in the draft. it is my opinion that he is a 2nd or 3rd round prospect because of the things i have brought up earlier, and if you disagree that is fine. personally i think you are overrating him.

and while you may have evidence of us trying to stop the run i do think we will make an effort to bolster our pass rush this offseason. maybe we wont (it is a weak DT class even if cody and marks declare, but with granger and mccoy as potential declarations it could get a bit stronger), but i think we should. i dont think we need to bring in a 330+ NT to stop the run like you do, i dont think we need to spend a 1st round pick on someone who i think is one dimensional and is more of a 2nd or 3rd round prospect (as far as my grade on him), and i dont agree with you that we have a good pass rush. both our run defense and pass rush could use upgrading, but you seem to disagree with that.

and joe flacco played at a sub-division of D-1 i believe. like D-1A or something? i dont remember, but i know he played for delaware which is not a part of any major conference. and he had 2 years of starting experience there, not 1.

none of your arguments mean much. We brought in Grady. We also brought in Moorehead, who is not a run stopping one dimensional guy. He was actually a pass rusher in CAR. And Jefferson backs up grady. He is a 295 lb DT. And look over our depth chart...there is no UT/NT. We deploy 2 DTs. As this team gets the right pieces for the scheme we will see pentrating DTs.

even if that wasnt the case, there is a big difference between picking up guys for little money in FA and using a round 1 pick on a round 3 talent. We WONT take Cody in round one, and I am willing to bet my posting priveledges on that.

it sounds intense (betting your posting priveledges) but i dont even think hes going to declare this year. i think he will stay for his senior year (like he says he will on facebook and like i and many other people think he should) and come out next year as a more complete, nfl ready and more well defined (as far as having lost weight and improved his technique) player.

i also think we will attempt to bring in guys like evander hood or peria jerry (i know you like him 89fan). id love to get hood as depth to babs... what a rotation that would be.

Yes, TD has signed one dimensional run-stoppers - but as free agents, at a low salary. NOT for a 1st round pick. Which is exactly what everyone is saying.

yup. we arent spending that high of a pick on a one dimensional player. we havent even spent a pick as high as a 2nd or a 3rd on a guy like that and that is where i think cody would go (probably to a 3-4 team) should he declare this year. but as ive already said i dont think he will.

-Mr. Offseason

I have read thru al l97 pages on Cody, and a ton of great points were made, not

to mention some decent links too.

The major issue with Cody is his weight, and that alone makes him, as everybody says

ONE Dimensional!

Sure a Big Man like that will not get punked on the field too often but,

did you see Big Grady get thrown to the ground like a rag doll last week?

Just gruesome man!

Who ever drafts this guy will have a contract issue over his weight, and if he

goes early in the first round, he will have that as a weapon to use vs. the contract.

This usually translates into Problem Child.

When Cody hits 400lbs+ what good is he?

At that weight he will seldom require a double team, just too slow.

Honestly I would just rather pamper Gradys knees for One more season.

we need a three down DT though, a pass rush and ran stopping specialist.

Jamaal? Why not put him at DT in passing situations like we do this season? Have Babineaux and Lewis/Rookie DT at DT in run situations and then move Jamaal inside and put a guy like Everette Brown outside. That would be amazing.