Question about Matt Ryan and kneeling down

I've seen him do this a few times. A clever snap count, he gets a defender to jump... Then he will hike and kneel.

But why?

Why not air it out? Tom Brady would heave it, who cares if it got picked. You are getting five yards anyway. Why not try to hit paydirt with the free play...

thoughts?

No need in leaving it up to the refs to get it right. Remember the Philly game?!!!

I've seen him do this a few times. A clever snap count, he gets a defender to jump... Then he will hike and kneel.

But why?

Why not air it out? Tom Brady would heave it, who cares if it got picked. You are getting five yards anyway. Why not try to hit paydirt with the free play...

thoughts?

Why risk it. What if they negate the call - it's been done. Then you've potentially turned the ball over and you'll be on here crying about why he didn't just kneel it.

Matt is actually doing the right thing, what you're seeing isn't standard plays that just happen to draw guys offsides, rather what you're seeing is a "play" design for the sole purpose of drawing the defensive players offsides. In the case of the play against Denver, it was a designed call based around Matt's insane ability to change up his cadence and fake out the defense.

I think the coaches have told him to do that to esure that he doesn't get hurt. When he kneels down the play is over. The defense sees this and they pull up. I feel that this is only b/c he is a rookie. Or hey guys...it could be a bait of some sort. Think about it! All teams now have film and footage of Matt Ryan kneeling on off-side plays. What if later on in the season, the coach tells him "Matt, now if you draw a team off-sides go for the big play...they won't be expecting it from you". I have no idea if this is true or even workable, it just sounds good!

I few weeks ago, during the Jets and Cardinals game.

A DL on the Cardnals clearly jumped offsides as soon as Brett Favre hiked the ball.

He thought it was a free play and threw an interception, that counted.

Exactly, why take the risk in airing it out? It's simply not worth the risk in turning it over, risking injury, etc.

But why?

thoughts?

Maybe because it was a running play. I have seen him take a free shot down field numerous times when the D was clearly offsides.

Why would you design a kneel down on fourth down?

You don't get it, the design of the play is to draw the guys offsides, if they don't jump you call a timeout and punt the ball.. Matt Ryan is fantastic at drawing guys offsides with his cadence.. it's something you won't find in Madden so it might be tough to comprehend! :P ;)

I think it was more Todd McClure saw they jumped so he snapped the ball, and instead of Ryan and the offense not all being on the page and trying to finish the play that nobody else knew started, because it didn't start on the right count. Ryan just took a knee. Also no need to risk injury. Just a heads up play on McClure and Ryan's part.

I think the coaches have told him to do that to esure that he doesn't get hurt. When he kneels down the play is over. The defense sees this and they pull up. I feel that this is only b/c he is a rookie. Or hey guys...it could be a bait of some sort. Think about it! All teams now have film and footage of Matt Ryan kneeling on off-side plays. What if later on in the season, the coach tells him "Matt, now if you draw a team off-sides go for the big play...they won't be expecting it from you". I have no idea if this is true or even workable, it just sounds good!

I like it, similar to the fake spike play. B)

Matthew Stafford does the same thing. I don't know. He's just satisfied with the free yardage. Either way is ok really. It keeps him from taking free shots from D-lineman who jumped early. It's a good question. Surprised no one ever asked him about it. I think Peyton used to do that too. It might not be him but I know I've seen some QB's doing this in the past.

Possibly, but Ryan does have an uncanny ability to draw guys offsides, taking a knee is all that is needed in many cases.

I've notice that. He started early in the preseason and I was like "man, he must have an awesome hard count." On average I bet he gets at least one a game, dating back the preseason.