Just finished watching Stafford

Mr. Offseason

Wow, i am very impressed with stafford right now. Honestly, i watched this live and thought he played pretty bad, but i rewatched it and i really thought he played great. heres a summary of my notes and thoughts on the game:

Even though Georgia got pretty well outplayed in this game I was extremely impressed with Stafford. He made I think 2 or 3 bad decisions all game. One of them was intercepted, one of them could have been intercepted and another just wasn't a decision I'm too fond of. However, he made very good reads, very good decisions and made some spectacular throws. He had good footwork, scanned the field well and his arm was ON in this game.

Even on the pass that was intercepted before the half (his only pick) he made the right read and made the right throw but he was forced to roll out and hold on to the ball for a bit longer than he wanted to. By the time he got it off the window had closed and it was intercepted. Had the OL provided better protection he makes that throw to mo-mass on the post and it is 6 points easy. He made the same throw to 82 later for a touchdown actually. Another throw was with about 2 minutes left in the game and it was simply a space-out by him I think. He forced a 5 yard out to aj green I think and the corner got his hands on it and could have picked it off. Those are the 2 legitimate bad decisions of the game. The rest of the game he looked spectacular. There were about 3-4 drops that I can remember specifically and a couple that negated what would have been significant gains.

I was really, really impressed with Stafford in this game. He really did all he could to throw Georgia back into this game. It really makes me wonder what would have happened if he had gotten better pass protection on that throw before the half, I think it would have been a touchdown because the FS was far away enough that he had a good window. 2 seconds later he was aware of mo-mass and by the time the throw got there mo-mass had to stop and it made it easy to break on. Stafford would have gotten rid of the ball right as he was going into his break (he was staring right at him the whole time he was rolling, and for a sec before he had to move) and the safety wouldnt have gotten there in time. I think he might have actually had a chance to win the game late if he was able to make that play. And I say that as anything but a UGA or Stafford homer. I was actually very, very skeptical of Stafford until now. I expected a pretty mediocre game and I was blown away by how good he looked even when he made a few questionable decisions.

I read somewhere that even when he makes questionable throws or decisions you can usually look at the play, see why he made the mistake or consider the situation and comprehend why he did it. Obviously not all the time, but on a significant amount of the plays. I thought that was gibberish until I watched the last 2 games (LSU and Alabama). When I watched this live I was unimpressed with Stafford, and after watching the tape of it over again I have done a complete 180. He really put up with a ton of adversity and contrary to what I thought at first about him quitting he did anything but. h*ll, he practically threw the team back into the game! I was extremely impressed with him in this game, very few negatives to hit on. He did get lazy on a play or two and not step into a longer throw (that was the 3rd play I was disappointed in him for) when he could have done so, but that wasn't the norm.

I sound like a raving fanatic but I can't say enough about how impressed I was with him, especially since I wasn't expecting much. He looked GREAT. I have the Kentucky game to watch still and then I really want to try to get my hands on the Florida-Georgia game so I can see him at his worst with 3 interceptions. I really thought this was going to be one of his negative games but it was just as impressive to me as the LSU game to be quite honest.

He went 24/42, 274 yards, 2 tds and 1 pick. That's 57.4% comp. With a couple drops back he hits 61.2% or more and he had 3 plays that I was very disappointed with in this game. Some more routine incompletions obviously but 3 plays that were bad. Out of 42 throws with many of them coming after they were down by 2-3 scores if not more that is extremely impressive to me. I didn't even realize he threw it 42 times, he made that few bad decisions.

Consider me a believer at this point. I need to watch Kentucky and hopefully Florida still, but I am absolutely impressed right now.

-Mr. Offseason

I'm not a believer of a top 5 pick worthy. His potential is limitless though.

maybe not, but hes going to go there if he declares, probably #1 to be honest. detroit and kc will be in the top 3 and they both need a qb like stafford. san fran runs a west coast so i dont think hed fit in well, just like with the vikings or seahawks. but detroit and kc... oh yeah.

I've watched all of Stafford's games except for 2. I can honestly say that I wouldn't touch him in the first 15 picks. Sure, he has a rocket arm and can make throws that *no* other college QB can, but the guy is so inconsistent.

He doesn't take advantage of all the talent he has around him. No other QB in college gets to have *the* best RB in the nation to go along with two outstanding receivers. There's no reason that UGA should get murdered in their two biggest games, and then have to pull late comebacks against Kentucky and Auburn. UGA fans love to point the blame finger at Mike Bobo, but the lack of execution by Stafford is a huge part of it. Whereas Matt Ryan stepped in immediately and instantly made everyone around him better, I just don't see it with Stafford.

As has already been touched on, he fails to step into his deep throws (yet still overthrows his receivers). I don't know what it is, but he gets extremely lazy on his screen passes. He could be trying to hard to disguise the play, but he has come very close to throwing screen passes right into the hands of a DE.

Stafford also isn't very good when a team can get pressure on him. He tries way too hard to force the ball downfield when he has a blitzer coming at him. This is where most of his mistakes occur.

Like I said a few months ago, he's the SEC version of Joe Flacco. And that's not a bad thing. I just don't understand all the love that he gets, especially when his team is one of the more talented teams in the nation and still is underachieving.

Now whoever gets Knowshon Moreno is getting an awesome player. That guy is phenomenal. Oh, and AJ Green is going to make a pretty penny in a few years.

How do you know that both McCoy and Bradford will be staying? I'm a firm believer that unless a big-time prospect comes right out and says that he's definitely coming back, he's going to come out. And I don't blame those guys at all.

I still think Stafford will probably be the first QB taken, but I definitely don't think he's worthy of it (if Bradford comes out).

McCoy has already said several times he plans to stay in college http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/23/...the-right-call/

I think he will stay all 4 years,

isn't Bradford a red shirt sophomore?? realy thinks he stays QB's that come out too early don't tend to fair to well especially those that haven't had the benefit of playing in a pro system.

I've watched all of Stafford's games except for 2. I can honestly say that I wouldn't touch him in the first 15 picks. Sure, he has a rocket arm and can make throws that *no* other college QB can, but the guy is so inconsistent.

He doesn't take advantage of all the talent he has around him. No other QB in college gets to have *the* best RB in the nation to go along with two outstanding receivers. There's no reason that UGA should get murdered in their two biggest games, and then have to pull late comebacks against Kentucky and Auburn. UGA fans love to point the blame finger at Mike Bobo, but the lack of execution by Stafford is a huge part of it. Whereas Matt Ryan stepped in immediately and instantly made everyone around him better, I just don't see it with Stafford.

As has already been touched on, he fails to step into his deep throws (yet still overthrows his receivers). I don't know what it is, but he gets extremely lazy on his screen passes. He could be trying to hard to disguise the play, but he has come very close to throwing screen passes right into the hands of a DE.

Stafford also isn't very good when a team can get pressure on him. He tries way too hard to force the ball downfield when he has a blitzer coming at him. This is where most of his mistakes occur.

Like I said a few months ago, he's the SEC version of Joe Flacco. And that's not a bad thing. I just don't understand all the love that he gets, especially when his team is one of the more talented teams in the nation and still is underachieving.

Now whoever gets Knowshon Moreno is getting an awesome player. That guy is phenomenal. Oh, and AJ Green is going to make a pretty penny in a few years.

i do think he has been relatively inconsistent but when i think of inconsistent i think of chad henne. the guy would make a few throws in every game that just made you want to pull your hair out. stafford may make a few questionable throws a game (like i said, 3 that i didnt like out of 42 in the alabama game) but when i re-watched them a couple times to see what he saw i can understand them usually. like on the interception. he did everything right except get the throw out on time, and he would have done that had he not been forced from the pocket by pressure. so while he might not be the model of consistency i dont think he is as inconsistent as henne was last year, and that is my definition of inconsistent.

youre right, he does have a lot of skill position talent, but from what i understand that hasnt always been the case. not to mention he is playing behind a patchwork offensive line this year. its true georgia is a talented team but i hesitate to say that he doesnt take advantage of what he has around him. now i do think i agree with you that he doesnt elevate the play of everyone around him. hes not as good of a leader as ryan was/is imo and i dont think he makes everyone around him better, or not as much as ryan does. that is one thing i am not wild about as far as stafford goes. he just doesnt have the same flawless intangibles that ryan had as a prospect. but in this weak QB class... it wont hurt him much.

i plan on watching the kentucky game and the florida game (if i can ever get a copy of it) and perhaps the auburn game as well. so once i see those games i will be able to have a better discussion with you on this. however in the lsu and alabama games i came away very impressed.

i have noticed the same problems as far as getting a bit lazy on the screen passes and occasionally not stepping into his deep throws. however, i dont think the stepping into his throws will be a big problem, that can be easily coached imo. obviously it would be more encouraging to never see him do that, but it isnt something that will make or break him. oftentimes he does step into them, he occasionally does have a lapse of judgement where he doesnt though.

i have to disagree with you on this point, at least in the last 2 games i watched. it seemed every time stafford would walk up to the line and they were showing blitz he would recognize it and either audible or change protection, then take the snap and find the hot receiver right away. he did this a number of times when alabama blitzed corners for easy first downs. he also really does show good poise in the pocket and took shots to deliver a catchable ball a number of times. that shows toughness and it shows hes not afraid of the rush. as he continues to develop and gain experience i think he will get even better at recognizing the blitz and finding his hot receiver. he definately showed me that he can do it in the 2 games i recently watched.

i disagree with the joe flacco comparison. i remember one of joe flaccos main problems was that he too often stared down his primary receiver, not to mention he spent a lot of time in the shotgun and had 2 years of starting experience at a division 1-aa or something level. stafford has 3 years of starting experience in the sec, plays equally under center and in shotgun (and from what i have noticed he seems to have good footwork in his drop backs and in the pocket, which is something flacco was exposed on when he was forced to drop back at the senior bowl), and makes very good reads and progressions and scans the field well. those are my main problems with that comparison.

and i know you really like sam bradford as your #1 QB, but he does play in a spread and in the 2 games ive watched tape of him on he does not make good progressions. he usually stares down his primary target or stares down one side of the field and waits for his guy to get open. he gets away with it because of his tremendous accuracy, but that was a very disturbing realization that i had. he has good arm strength, fantastic accuracy and seems to have it between the ears, but he just is not asked to make good reads and progressions in the spread/hurry up offense that oklahoma runs and that is a huge red flag for me. i think he will still be drafted high, but i dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. he will need time to learn and adjust to a pro style nfl offense, and im not sure he will be allotted that time as a high draft pick. that makes me think he could underachieve in the NFL relative to where he was drafted. i potentially feel the same way about colt mccoy, however i think hes a top 15 kind of guy where as bradford is a top 5 kind of guy, so mccoy would likely have more lee-way.

thanks for the comment, i know it seems like a month ago or so i was in agreement with you on this but when i re-watched these 2 games i really feel like ive done a 180 on him (the same thing happened for me with ryan last year). i intend to watch 3 more games (at least) from this season but as of now i think stafford will be the #1 pick (or at least a top 3 pick) and i think he will be a good NFL qb. i dont think he will be ready to step in and start right away like ryan did and i dont think he will take a 4-12 team and help turn them around in one year like ryan did here (partially because of my comments and thoughts on his intangibles) but i do think he can and will be a good NFL qb based off of what ive seen so far. franchise qb? im not sure. ryan is a franchise qb and those only come around so often. but a good qb and an average qb can be the difference between a playoff run and a mid-1st round draft pick, just ask the Vikings.

-Mr. Offseason