Question about Carolina Run Defense

A stunt in American football and Canadian football is a planned maneuver by a pair of players of the defensive team by which they exchange roles, the better to slip past blockers of the offensive team at the beginning of a play from scrimmage.

The purpose of a stunt is to confuse opposing blockers, which is an aid to the defense in rushing an opposing forward pass or kick. The main weakness of a stunt is that it is more vulnerable than average to running plays by the opposing team. In most cases, the defense will not use a play incorporating stunting if it expects a running play from the offense.

There are two main types of stunts. In one, a line player, who would otherwise try to charge forward, instead drops back, and a nearby linebacker or defensive back charges forward instead. In the other, which is known as cross-rushing, line players, instead of charging straight ahead, cross paths. One of them may follow a looping path that goes behind the other before moving forward (in which case the stunt is called a "loop"), or one may wait for the other to penetrate slightly first, and then cross behind, their paths angling across each other. In some variants, a rushing player will run around more than one rushing teammate.

Because of the exchange of roles, a stunt is sometimes called a "trade"; blockers of the offensive team may engage in similar "trades". The defensive players involved are said to be stunting or trading, or sometimes to "have a game on".

i think a picture would probably help to sum it up better. im going to try to find one.

A defensive end starts outside, but rushes inside, while the defensive tackle shoots outside. Carolina does this a lot because Peppers has the quickness to get inside before the guard or tackle realizes that their assignment just changed. Pep also has the height, arm length, and vertical leaping ability to disrupt a quarterback's throwing lane if he gets into the middle of a defense. It can also be used to get a good pass rushing defensive end away from a double team that comes from a tight end or a guard who slides out.

Against run defense, it just moves people around and messes up assignments. Some people can slip into the backfield easily.

A defensive end starts outside, but rushes inside, while the defensive tackle shoots outside. Carolina does this a lot because Peppers has the quickness to get inside before the guard or tackle realizes that their assignment just changed. Pep also has the height, arm length, and vertical leaping ability to disrupt a quarterback's throwing lane if he gets into the middle of a defense. It can also be used to get a good pass rushing defensive end away from a double team that comes from a tight end or a guard who slides out.

Against run defense, it just moves people around and messes up assignments. Some people can slip into the backfield easily.

Yep. I wish we would do that with Abraham.

Here is the best I can do to help:

07.30.08.07.16.20.jpg

You'll notice the DE opposite the LT and the DT across the LG are "crossing" their paths. This is a stunt. It's supposed to confuse the offensive line. If the left tackle is assuming he's on the de, and the left guard is assuming he is on the the defensive tackle, and they cross, they have to switch players they're supposed to block.

In the latest article in the AJC about the Falcons vs. Carolina game, several players said that Carolina was able to shut down Atl's run game because they "stunted" heavily. What does it mean when a defense "stunts"?

You've been complaining like a little girl and blasting everyone here for days now and you don't know what a "stunt" is? I should've known by your avatar.

Seriously? You come on here blasting people and then throwing out your opinions so strongly when you don't even know what a stunt is?

A stunt is when a lineman or more pull back upon the snap and then move back around to another place on the line and attack that area. For example, our line from left to right is John Abraham, Grady Jackson, Justin Babineauc, and Jamaal Anderson. If Jamaal Anderson on snap pulled back around and attacked from between Babs and Jackson all while Babs pushed towards where Jamaal came from, that would be a stunt.

Seriously? You come on here blasting people and then throwing out your opinions so strongly when you don't even know what a stunt is?

A stunt is when a lineman or more pull back upon the snap and then move back around to another place on the line and attack that area. For example, our line from left to right is John Abraham, Grady Jackson, Justin Babineauc, and Jamaal Anderson. If Jamaal Anderson on snap pulled back around and attacked from between Babs and Jackson all while Babs pushed towards where Jamaal came from, that would be a stunt.

Yeah seriously. Unlike you and the rest of your self proclaimed know-it-all cronnies, i don't claim to have all the answers. I can admit when i don't know the answer to something. Its called being human. Not everyone was born with the All Knowing Football knowledge that you have.

And don't even act like you never throw your opinions around either. Thats like the Pot callin the Kettle black.

Yeah seriously. Unlike you and the rest of your self proclaimed know-it-all cronnies, i don't claim to have all the answers. I can admit when i don't know the answer to something. Its called being human. Not everyone was born with the All Knowing Football knowledge that you have.

I don't claim to know it all, but when I don't know about even the basic facets of football, I don't run around talking trash and coming off like my opinions are absolute.

I don't claim to know it all, but when I don't know about even the basic facets of football, I don't run around talking trash and coming off like my opinions are absolute.

Once again, the Pot callin the Kettle black. Just because i feel strongly about my opioion doesnt mean i think its absolute. If your half a man, shouldn't you have confidence in what you say. i don't ever want to see you bash someone else opinion or or be rude in the slightest bit on these boards. Cause you act like your the perfect gentleman. What a baby.