Apology to the boards for Black out

Zenduke

Last week I presented the idea that the fans support the birds by wearing black to the game and have a "Black out".

Apparently this upset some people claiming that it was "silly" and "too college" and also saying that they didn't feel wearing a 100 plus dollar jersey that was a different color wrong. They also wanted to know how that would help win games.

Here's my point.

No it doesn't have to be a black out, white out, red out, or a red, black or white towel waving, hickory stick whooping crowd. BUT I don't make it to the games because I'm living in PA. I can't come to the games but I watch every game on TV. I watch everything I can about the Falcons from NFL network to ESPN to sports radio and here's the deal.

Atlanta Fans don't care about the pro teams. Sorry, but this is the impression I get. Sure you guys are fans or you wouldn't be on the boards. Overall however, the city has a hard town getting people to care.

The Hawks are doing well. Anyone care?

The Braves couldn't sell out during their many years of National league dominance.

The Thrashers I no nothing about so I won't comment

The Falcons have a sell out but I see empty sets all over the place.

My thoughts are what does the media do in the area. Does the News media even pump up the teams? Does the team promote anything at all? I know Blank would like fans there and has taken steps but what about the fan unity aspect.

Don't make it fun to go to the game....Make it fun to WATCH the game.

I've been a fan of the Braves for my entire 37 years and the tomahawk chop gave me goosebumps. Yeah Florida State did it first but man was it awesome. So why can't the fans have something that makes them feel more a part of the game time experience?

So bottom line I apologize if I upset some of you ,but still think that something of this nature would be good for bringing fans to the game and making it fun. (While at the same time sticking it to the ones that say Atlanta doesn't care about the pro teams)

I agree 100%. I've always liked things like The Terrible Towel, The Dawg Pound, The Lambeau Leap, The Dirty Bird........

Anyone that's ever competed at a high level knows that homefield advantage is HUGE. That's something this team hasn't ever had, that I can recall. Sure we are winning there this year, but when I say homefield advantage, I mean teams are afraid to come here. That's what I want.

BTW, the Tomahawk Chop was awesome.

In my opinion absolutely no apology should ever be necessary. It annoys me when somebody comes on these boards and suggests something that is entirely NOT negative and get lashed at, especially by some of the posters that I've come to expect a little better from in my years in and out of these boards.

If other people have personal hang ups about an idea, that's fine. You aren't a NCAA fan, you think it's cheesy, whatever, but respect that others do think it's a good idea, that the net result of it could only really be positive, assuming YOU don't bring some absurd pessimistic baggage to the table.

In many ways you are right about Atlanta fans, but the same sentiments are there in every other city. There's nothing unique about the reasons why Atlanta is a middle tier sports city, it just so happens that they all compound upon each other.

I think all the comparison to UGA or any other College team is just silly. These are the Falcons. If they wear football helmets - are they copying the Dawgs? If they wear uniforms, are they copying the Dawgs? If they use a football on the field, are they copying the Dawgs?

Maybe the term "Black-Out" infuriates those who hate the Bulldogs, but we can call it anything we like, or nothing at all. I doubt they are the first team to try to unify the fans and team and intimidate the opposing crowd by wearing a specific, media-publicized color.

We do need to develop some tradition. I loved the Back in Black year we had (which happened long before the UGA blackout)

I always check to see what the team uniform is and try to coordinate - just to show my support.

So, no need to apologize. Some people are just sensitive to the word Bulldog or anything they relate to that.

It has nothing to do with the Dawgs- it's about generating some emotion and building a wall using Fans and Team together. It doesn't have to be the uniform - it can be a chant, a move or anything else that shows unity.

Go Falcons!!!!!

No need for you to appologize man. You had the right idea, this team's fans are about as flat as you can get. It's beyond pathetic to watch this team and see more empty seats than full ones, the the full ones have other team's jerseys there.

Somthing needs to be done to make this place a place of dominance. Yes, I know that winning will help that but who wants a fan if they are only there in the good times? This team hasnt had many yet all of us here stick with them, give us somthing to look forward to and be proud of.

I think all the comparison to UGA or any other College team is just silly. These are the Falcons. If they wear football helmets - are they copying the Dawgs? If they wear uniforms, are they copying the Dawgs? If they use a football on the field, are they copying the Dawgs?

Maybe the term "Black-Out" infuriates those who hate the Bulldogs, but we can call it anything we like, or nothing at all. I doubt they are the first team to try to unify the fans and team and intimidate the opposing crowd by wearing a specific, media-publicized color.

We do need to develop some tradition. I loved the Back in Black year we had (which happened long before the UGA blackout)

I always check to see what the team uniform is and try to coordinate - just to show my support.

So, no need to apologize. Some people are just sensitive to the word Bulldog or anything they relate to that.

It has nothing to do with the Dawgs- it's about generating some emotion and building a wall using Fans and Team together. It doesn't have to be the uniform - it can be a chant, a move or anything else that shows unity.

Go Falcons!!!!!

good post tandy

,but still think that something of this nature would be good for bringing fans to the game and making it fun.

As stated before no need to apologize, but the way you have written that portion it sounds as though it's not fun to watch. If that's the case then why watch? The second statement is similar with the suggestion it's not already fun to go the games.

Maybe you don't know how much fun it is to go since you live far away, but I have a blast whenever I go to a Falcons game, and plan Sundays around watching if I dont go. You mentioned the Thrashers, I usually go to more of their games than the Falcons. Hockey is best in person, their attendance is way down this year but its still a great experience and despite diminishing crowds its a very dedicated and passionate crowd at Phillips, but that's not why I go, I enjoy Hockey.

I love watching the Falcons, and have done so for decades despite it being a rather sorry product that has failed to produce back to back winning seasons, but I enjoy it because I like football and love Atlanta Falcons football.

Looks like everyone here is really for the blackout or some type of unity of the fans. I completely agree with zenduke in that I can't go to the games but I watch every week. The problem is, no one feels threatened to play here. We play in a dome and it's easy for the crowd to rattle opposing quarterbacks. Give them **** when they are trying to change a play or even when they have the ball. Give Matty ice complete silence when he's coordinating a change of play or reminding a teammate to watch for certain things. I don't think there is anything wrong with the black out idea. We can even do red. I think the best idea would be for the Falcons organization to offer red or black towels to everyone coming in. It's fairly cost effective and all season ticket holders should be mailed one. We need more tradition in this organization. I don't want to be a middle tier team. I think we have the building blocks to become one of the most acclaimed franchises if we can help turn things around as fans.

As stated before no need to apologize, but the way you have written that portion it sounds as though it's not fun to watch. If that's the case then why watch? The second statement is similar with the suggestion it's not already fun to go the games.

Maybe you don't know how much fun it is to go since you live far away, but I have a blast whenever I go to a Falcons game, and plan Sundays around watching if I don't go. You mentioned the Thrashers, I usually go to more of their games than the Falcons. Hockey is best in person, their attendance is way down this year but its still a great experience and despite diminishing crowds its a very dedicated and passionate crowd at Phillips, but that's not why I go, I enjoy Hockey.

I love watching the Falcons, and have done so for decades despite it being a rather sorry product that has failed to produce back to back winning seasons, but I enjoy it because I like football and love Atlanta Falcons football.

Just to clarify, I don't mean that it isn't fun but there are some places that have attractions like games and carnival type attractions in the concourse. There are some places that have fun things in the walk ways of the stadium but that keeps the fans in the walk ways and not in the seats. Thats what I mean by what I said.

Last week I presented the idea that the fans support the birds by wearing black to the game and have a "Black out".

Apparently this upset some people claiming that it was "silly" and "too college" and also saying that they didn't feel wearing a 100 plus dollar jersey that was a different color wrong. They also wanted to know how that would help win games.

Here's my point.

No it doesn't have to be a black out, white out, red out, or a red, black or white towel waving, hickory stick whooping crowd. BUT I don't make it to the games because I'm living in PA. I can't come to the games but I watch every game on TV. I watch everything I can about the Falcons from NFL network to ESPN to sports radio and here's the deal.

Atlanta Fans don't care about the pro teams. Sorry, but this is the impression I get. Sure you guys are fans or you wouldn't be on the boards. Overall however, the city has a hard town getting people to care.

The Hawks are doing well. Anyone care?

The Braves couldn't sell out during their many years of National league dominance.

The Thrashers I no nothing about so I won't comment

The Falcons have a sell out but I see empty sets all over the place.

My thoughts are what does the media do in the area. Does the News media even pump up the teams? Does the team promote anything at all? I know Blank would like fans there and has taken steps but what about the fan unity aspect.

I've been a fan of the Braves for my entire 37 years and the tomahawk chop gave me goosebumps. Yeah Florida State did it first but man was it awesome. So why can't the fans have something that makes them feel more a part of the game time experience?

So bottom line I apologize if I upset some of you ,but still think that something of this nature would be good for bringing fans to the game and making it fun. (While at the same time sticking it to the ones that say Atlanta doesn't care about the pro teams)

You made your point wast week? Why waste MB space starting another thread.

No matter what, a "blackout" would be a blatant ripoff of a stupid lame gimmik at UGA.

its not like this is the first time ATL has worn all black. no need to apologize, you didnt start a new trend or nothing. I am suprised we didnt wear the black vs NO at home like we have the past 4 or so years.

My view on it is that the black jerseys would look much better w/o the black pants.

Just to clarify, I don't mean that it isn't fun but there are some places that have attractions like games and carnival type attractions in the concourse. There are some places that have fun things in the walk ways of the stadium but that keeps the fans in the walk ways and not in the seats. Thats what I mean by what I said.

Turner field has that stuff, still not sure what you mean by making it fun to watch though. If you are a fan of this team from afar as I was for some time, then it seems that the only real interest should be in watching the Falcons - period, which should be the case if you are at the game as well. It's almost as though you're saying "I don't get to watch the Falcons much, but watching a a game isn't enough, there needs to be a black-out or some other quirk."

There is something wrong with the city, the media, and the dome all together.

There are too many problems, and a majority of people don't care.

The (majority) of fans simply don't care. Or ticket prices are too high, to go see a team that has never had winning back to back seasons. Terrance Moore and Orlando Ledbetter only care about pushing their racial propaganda. The dome only cares about advertising dollars. It's a toilet. We're all lucky the franchise is even still there.

don't take it personal, your post was one of a hundred asking for a black out.

why should you believe it was your post that caused anything to happen,

I think this had been planned for a while., like how many years have the Falcons worn the all black?

Long before UGA did the all black thing, and then had it backfire in their muttly faces.

hey man...no need to apologize man. I have no problem with something like that. When I went to the playoff game against St.Louis a few years ago....to see everyone in that dome in red on their feet waving the white towels gave me goose bumps. I still get goose bumps when i think about the excitement and the unity in the Dome that night..

Rev.....I've been on this message board a long time....longer than you actually, but i remember when you first started posting here, and I remember how humble and excited you were about being a falcon fan and how i used to like to read your post, but i will say..in all respect to you, that I believe this mod thing has gone to your head. You have become so negative, and have become very JUDGEMENTAL with people and their post. This guy never deserved the response that you put on his original post nor the response to him on this post. I think he was trying to get something going for the team and the fans and to respond in a way that you did, I feel was inappropriate and would not have been a response that you would have given a couple of years ago....Just my .02

And for the record...Im not a dogs fan at all....but i think a so called "Blackout" whiteout, redout...whatever out would be cool period. Whatever can unify the fans and the team. I think it would show the team that we support them and ready to take care of business