Mock Offseason 11/18/08

A-TowN.-

This took me forever!

Free Agent Signings:

- Vernon Carey RT: he can come in and replace Clabo. We need those running lanes for Turner and our right side is struggling the most. Clabo is at most a back up, he has been playing okay, but we need someone great.

- Sean Jones SS: He can replace Milloy immediately. He has been great for Cleveland and is the number one SS that I would like besides Phillips (gets hurt a lot).

Resigns:

Michael Boley

Sharod “Roddy” White (haha)

Jonathan Babineaux

Domonique Foxworth

Tyson Clabo

Harvey Dahl

Jason Snelling

Renardo Foster

Restructures:

Keith Brooking - As much as I don’t like him, he has leadership. He can teach our new OLB and can retire here in Atlanta. This way everybody is happy.

Cut/Releases:

Todd Weiner - Is he even worth it?

Lawyer Milloy - As much as I love this guy, he has lost a step. Sean Jones will replace him. Lawyer can go back to Washington and be happy.

DRAFT:

Note - all the stats I have provided are from this year and are up to date.

1). Everette Brown, DE Florida State

Height: 6-4. Weight: 252

Stats: 28 tackles, 16 TFL, 9 sacks, 2 PBU, 2 QB hurries, 2 FF, 1 fumble recovery

2802zo5.jpg

I’m officially sold on this guy. I have a feeling Mays, Orakpo, Curry will be gone by our pick. I was on the wall with Maclin, but then decided our D-line is more important. He can provide great pressure and can make an immediate impact. We need someone other than Abe to pressure the QB. This pick is assuming JA98 is playing like he has.

2). Marcus Freeman, OLB Ohio State

Height: 6-2. Weight: 242

Stats: 69 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 3 PBU

1fhggi.jpg

I’ve seen him only a few times, but haven’t noticed him enough due to him shadowing James L. He is a beast for OSU and continues to provide good plays in the backfield during runs and he drops back into coverage great as well. It’s time to find a replacement for Keith Brooking and Marcus is the solution.

3). Evander Hood, DT Missouri

Height: 6-3. Weight: 295

Stats: 47 tackles, 6 TFL, 4 sacks, 2 PBU, 10 QB hurries, 1 blocked kick/punt

70i1z4.jpg

This guy is a beast. His numbers don’t lie either. This might be a bit of a reach, but I have a feeling he will slip right into our arms. He could be a starter from day one if not a rotational DT.

4). Bear Pascoe, TE Fresno State

Height: 6-5. Weight: 260

Stats: 31 receptions, 298 yards, 4 TD, 1 blocked kick/punt

2pzh0go.jpg

Ok, this is no secret, but this guy is HUGE. He can block, catch, and score. He would be a perfect fit for Mularkey’s offense. He could be a huge redzone target. Reminds me of a Jason Witten.

5). Eric Wood, C Louisville

Height: 6-4. Weight: 304

sfxaa9.jpg

Courtesy of WalterFootball.com - 5/26/08: You're getting a rock at center if you draft Eric Wood; he's started 37 consecutive games. He was voted to the All-Big East first team last year.

He can be groomed under Todd McClure.

5). Cody Moore, DT TCU

Height: 6-1. Weight: 292

Stats: 21 tackles, 10 TFL, 6 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT

10gmhbd.jpg

This guy could be a possible steal, he plays for TCU, which was ranked top 5 in total defense last week. I looked and looked for his draft positions, some said 5-6, other sites said 7-FA. He is under the radar and I think could provide great depth or possibly be a starter one day. My only concern is lack of competition.

7). Nate Swift, WR Nebraska

Height: 6-2. Weight: 200

Stats: 58 receptions, 899 yards, 8 TDs, / 16 PR, 249 yards, 1 TD

s5e8ia.jpg

This guy is a diamond in the rough, he is Nebraska’s biggest playmaker this year. He is very versatile and could provide great depth at WR & PR. He is one of the most sure-handed WR in college. He is a younger, faster Brian Finneran.

2009 UDFA:

Brandon Tate, WR/KR/PR North Carolina - a tear in his MCL and ACL dropped his stock, but he is famous for being such a dynamic player.

Lovon Ponder, SS Miami - was hurt this past year, but had enough potential to start over Meriweather and Phillips.

Ramon Foster, OG Tennessee - gave up the least amount of sacks on the Tennessee o-line.

Jon Brost, OT Northern Illinois - in 2007 he didn't give up a sack until week 7

I feel I addressed the most important needs by this off-season. I focused more on D-Line because when we have a good pass rush, our secondary looks good (Notice the Saints’ game). Hope you enjoyed it.

excellent draft. even though id rather see us pick up a safety in the draft, you cant go wrong with everette brown. i would rather see us drop brooking and keep milloy. and instead of the DT from TCU, id rather us pick up a DT from ECU instead. instead of the nebraska PR, id rather see brandon james. other than that, your picks fill most all positions of need, and for the most part was very realistic.

great work

excellent draft. even though id rather see us pick up a safety in the draft, you cant go wrong with everette brown. i would rather see us drop brooking and keep milloy. and instead of the DT from TCU, id rather us pick up a DT from ECU instead. instead of the nebraska PR, id rather see brandon james. other than that, your picks fill most all positions of need, and for the most part was very realistic.

great work

I had us picking up Sean Jones, so I wouldn't see a need for taking an SS in the first. I do like Chung and Wiley though if I had to pick any. Yeah I like the DT from ECU aswell, but it was a toss-up and I figured I'd go with a guy who has been on the number 2 rated defense in college. Brandon James won't make it past the 5th IMO, but I like Nate Swift's potential a lot.

I appreciate it though man, nice ride btw!

didnt realize tcu had #2 defense! and yeah, thats the thing about your mock, its pretty realistic and offers different perspectives on players while filling in needs. that lb from osu is supposedly rated failry high i think...

i wish the ride were mine!

They did, untill they lost last week, but they were ranked #9 in the BCS overall. Yeah I figured he would be the last good OLB on the board left.

ha you're not the only one!

Excellent mock. I can't find anything wrong with it. There isn't one pick I don't like. The only pick I'm not entirely sold on is Freeman. I haven't watched him a lot, so maybe someone can give me a little more insight on him. But, didn't he have a knee injury. How is that going?

And BTW, I agree with all of your resigns and releases.

Excellent mock. I can't find anything wrong with it. There isn't one pick I don't like. The only pick I'm not entirely sold on is Freeman. I haven't watched him a lot, so maybe someone can give me a little more insight on him. But, didn't he have a knee injury. How is that going?

And BTW, I agree with all of your resigns and releases.

I appreciate it man, but Marcus to me is a mix between Lofton and Boley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnFR4Oz5Xg

i like it. i'd probably take a UDFA SS or find a backup SS (unless decoud can play SS) just in case sean jones' leg or whatever isnt 100%. he did have an injury or something right? if not, then ignore that part and good mock!

I think DeCoud can play some SS, but if not then I prob. would pick up an UDFA SS, Like Lovon Ponder from Miami.

There are two things that I do not like about your draft, otherwise I think it is very good.

A) You don't draft a SS. However, you do sign Sean Jones. I am not sold on Jones being the answer at SS, but I guess you are and if he pans out then we have a SS for a few years. I'd rather draft a playmaking SS because they are hard to find and outside of this draft there are really none coming out over the next 3-4 years, while there is a boat load of talent at DE in college.

B] You don't draft any O-line depth. Yes, you draft Eric Wood who would be the guy I'd like to draft if we can't sign Jason Brown, but no OT-OG depth. I understand you have us signing Vernon Carey but I don't personally see that happening, and even so we have no depth at LG or LT. A guy like Dallas Reynolds would be a great UDFA pickup since he can and has played every single spot on OL, and was an All Mountain West LT last year as he gave up 0 sacks on the year.

Otherwise, very nicely done. If you call your draft in-depth, I'm going to have to think of a new adjective for mine :lol: I think I'll just start making mine shorter...

There are two things that I do not like about your draft, otherwise I think it is very good.

A) You don't draft a SS. However, you do sign Sean Jones. I am not sold on Jones being the answer at SS, but I guess you are and if he pans out then we have a SS for a few years. I'd rather draft a playmaking SS because they are hard to find and outside of this draft there are really none coming out over the next 3-4 years, while there is a boat load of talent at DE in college.

B] You don't draft any O-line depth. Yes, you draft Eric Wood who would be the guy I'd like to draft if we can't sign Jason Brown, but no OT-OG depth. I understand you have us signing Vernon Carey but I don't personally see that happening, and even so we have no depth at LG or LT. A guy like Dallas Reynolds would be a great UDFA pickup since he can and has played every single spot on OL, and was an All Mountain West LT last year as he gave up 0 sacks on the year.

Otherwise, very nicely done. If you call your draft in-depth, I'm going to have to think of a new adjective for mine :lol: I think I'll just start making mine shorter...

thanks man,

A. I would have definitely picked Taylor Mays, he is by far my favorite prospect in this draft, but I don't think any team is going to pass on him before our turn. I think Sean Jones could be with us for a while if we picked him up. He would make 20x the impact that Lawyer makes. If not, then I am sure DeCoud knows how to play SS along with Coleman and Hutchins(I'm pretty sure they have experience).

B. We can have Foster, Clabo, and draft some UDFA that have preferably played for Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas, etc. Just draft some lineman from an elite passing and running team. Hopefully we can get Vernon Carey or someone else through FA.

Yeah, I didn't feel like making another depth chart. I tried to make it as in-depth as I could, but yours are just epic, how bout that. haha appreciate it though man.

I did a quick edit- check it out now man.

Ah I forgot the last thing I didn't like about your draft - Marcus Freeman.

Freeman is not a Cover 2 LB. He is a good blitzer and can cover a RB/FB out of the backfield well or a TE into the flat, but playing zone in the middle of the field is not for him. He's very much like Michael Boley - he's better suited at SLB in a 4-3 that doesn't use a Cover 2.

Some guys I like for the WLB job from the draft

Brandon Spikes, Florida

Gerald McRath, Southern Miss

Brian Cushing, USC

Sean Witherspoon, Missouri

Freeman is not a Cover 2 LB. He is a good blitzer and can cover a RB/FB out of the backfield well or a TE into the flat, but playing zone in the middle of the field is not for him. He's very much like Michael Boley - he's better suited at SLB in a 4-3 that doesn't use a Cover 2.

Brandon Spikes, Florida

Brian Cushing, USC

They might be gone by our pick, well McRath might not.

tha Marcus Freeman bandwagon has begun....

you're welcome.

and he'd be just fine in our defense playing WLB. he's a natural WLB. he's far from just a blitzing linebacker. he'd have more QB hurries and sacks if that was tha case.

My best friend is an OSU fan and I have heard of him, just haven't really payed too much attention though.

great draft dude...

1st- everette brown- i would LOVE this. abe/brown rotating at RE and on passing downs abe and brown at both de spots would be fantastic. our pass rush would be fantastic with this.

2nd- im glad other people like this guy. i havent seen a lot of him but im really excited to watch some more of him. i think he could be a great pick in the 2nd round to play WLB for us. i just need to see how he is in coverage. if he checks out hes one of my main targets in round 2 if we dont get a WLB in round 1. if not... i guess ill have to hope mcrath or someone else lasts to the 2nd round.

3rd- i really like evander hood but im not sure hes available here. i think hes an early 2nd-late 2nd guy. if we could get him here id LOVE to get him. its possible we may see a draft where the dt class as a whole slides (like last year) and if that happens id love to get him here.

4th- i like pascoe also, nice pick. i havent watched him and i dont know where his stock is at, but i like him as a prospect.

5th- great pick, i have been high on eric wood for a long time.

5th- dont know much about him to be honest.

7th- great find, sounds like he could actually be a diamond in the rough. good stuff.

i like your udfas also, brandon tate is awesome. :P

overall, great job. i am really excited to watch more tape on everette brown, marcus freeman and hopefully 1 game of bear pascoe. but i have watched hood and i really liked what i saw. so very good work. id LOVE to get vernon carey and sean jones too.

-Mr. Offseason

Brandon Spikes, Florida

Brian Cushing, USC

huh, i havent watched him to judge that, but i do know hes pretty athletic. i guess ill have to reserve judgement until i watch him. my gut says i disagree with you though.

but yes i love spikes. he and everette brown are my two favorite targets based on where we are right now in round 1.

tha Marcus Freeman bandwagon has begun....

you're welcome.

and he'd be just fine in our defense playing WLB. he's a natural WLB. he's far from just a blitzing linebacker. he'd have more QB hurries and sacks if that was tha case.

hey man did you start the freeman bandwagon? i dont think i started it but ive been talking about him for a while. maybe ill ride shotgun? :P

and have you watched him? i havent yet but i really want to.

great draft dude...

1st- everette brown- i would LOVE this. abe/brown rotating at RE and on passing downs abe and brown at both de spots would be fantastic. our pass rush would be fantastic with this.

2nd- im glad other people like this guy. i havent seen a lot of him but im really excited to watch some more of him. i think he could be a great pick in the 2nd round to play WLB for us. i just need to see how he is in coverage. if he checks out hes one of my main targets in round 2 if we dont get a WLB in round 1. if not... i guess ill have to hope mcrath or someone else lasts to the 2nd round.

3rd- i really like evander hood but im not sure hes available here. i think hes an early 2nd-late 2nd guy. if we could get him here id LOVE to get him. its possible we may see a draft where the dt class as a whole slides (like last year) and if that happens id love to get him here.

4th- i like pascoe also, nice pick. i havent watched him and i dont know where his stock is at, but i like him as a prospect.

5th- great pick, i have been high on eric wood for a long time.

5th- dont know much about him to be honest.

7th- great find, sounds like he could actually be a diamond in the rough. good stuff.

i like your udfas also, brandon tate is awesome. :P

overall, great job. i am really excited to watch more tape on everette brown, marcus freeman and hopefully 1 game of bear pascoe. but i have watched hood and i really liked what i saw. so very good work. id LOVE to get vernon carey and sean jones too.

-Mr. Offseason

Thanks man, I looked high and low for good picks, did some scouting. haha

Cody Moore is the 2nd anchor on TCU's D-Line. TCU had one of the best defenses in the country this year due to their pass rush. I figured I would take this guy here because his stats are good and he always collapses the pocket. Not to mention he's in the backfeild a lot. I've watched some tape on him and I was pretty impressed.

but thanks man, I think you'll be really impressed with Marcus as I was. I know, this offseason would make our team elite. ha, but appreciate it once again.

huh, i havent watched him to judge that, but i do know hes pretty athletic. i guess ill have to reserve judgement until i watch him. my gut says i disagree with you though.

but yes i love spikes. he and everette brown are my two favorite targets based on where we are right now in round 1.

hey man did you start the freeman bandwagon? i dont think i started it but ive been talking about him for a while. maybe ill ride shotgun? :P

and have you watched him? i havent yet but i really want to.

yea, i think i was tha first to mention him while everybody else was screaming CURRY CURRY CURRY. I tune into OSU games just to watch him. At first I was just looking at late round prospect DT Nader Abdallah, but it was hard not to take notice of Freeman. He's everywhere all tha time.

Definitely. I've had that in my sig since around July, too. It makes me sick when somebody says that Devine is too small to play in the NFL. Then I show them Maurice Jones-Drew knocking Shawne Merriman the f*ck out.

Not to make you sick, but MJD and Noel Devine are entirely different types of runners despite their similar size and speed. MJD is a guy that run north/south in between the tackles and break a tackle or two with power. Devine is a guy that is very shifty and elusive and uses his speed to get away from people rather than lowering a shoulder. I think Devine will make a fine change of pace back in the NFL, but he won't be a LT or even a Brian Westbrook. He would do wonders as a Cardinal spelling Tim Hightower/Edge and being used as a receiver out of the backfield.

I love Devine, don't get me wrong. Ever since his sophomore year of high school when I saw his highlight tape - I actually saved it and have it still since it was that good. But today to be an every down RB in the NFL you have to be able to both breaks tackles + run inside and be shifty in the open field + have hands out of the backfield, and their importance goes in that order too.