First round and Falcons Mock Version.2

Happy Mondays

Ok so this was done during my day at work which was very slow so I had alot of spare time abit rushed but I think I only really struggled on the second Eagles pick and Giants, anyway let me know what you think.

Mock Draft

Predicted Record

Det – W

@TB – L

KC – W

@Car – L

@GB – W

Chi – W

@Phi – L

@Oak – W

NO – W

Den – L

Car – L

@SD – W

@NO – W

TB – L

@Min – W

STL – W

Predicted Final Record: 10-6

1) Lions: Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia: The Lions can go in any number of different directions and it all depends on who their new HC and GM are. But I think they go QB there is no doubt that Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are going to have an effect on the draft just as Adrian Peterson gave Darren McFadden more hype last year a team like the Lions are going to hope that Stafford can come in and have the same effect as Ryan had. Stafford has the best arm in college but still has a habit of making poor decisions, regardless the Lions are hoping he can come in and start from day one.

2) Chiefs: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama: Thigpen may actually have a shot in the NFL and with the #1 QB gone the Chiefs look to create a dominate Oline. After taking Brandon Albert last year they take Smith and let the fight it out for LT and RT, with two bookend OT’s they will give Thigpen a fair shot and may actually win more than 1 game in 2009. Smith has the size and feet to dominate in the NFL, and is my #1 overall prospect in the draft.

3) Bengals: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss: Well this team isn’t going to do much for the next decade with them refusing to fire Marvin Lewis but hey at least they can get Oher to give Carson Palmer time to throw the ball. They wanted to take Ellis last year but those pesky Aints traded up to take him, I predict they will keep the philosophy of building the lines like they wanted to last year and sure up the Oline.

4) Rams: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia: That’s right 3 OT’s taken one after the other, the Rams where desperate to get Jake Long last year and with the 2 top OT’s already gone the Rams have no choice but to take Monroe. Coming from the same programme that produce D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Branden Albert Monroe should become the Rams next franchise LT for years to come.

5) Seahawks: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State: Well this actually hard to predict with our old friend Jim Mora Jr. Now in charge he goes looking for his next CB to fall in love with, Seattle is giving up 265 yds through the air pair game 31st in the NFL, they have two good young DE’s in Tapp and Jackson so pressure is not really the problem its just their CB’s aren’t performing that well. Crabtree is not the answer to their problems defense is.

6) Raiders: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech: I refuse to talk about this organization this pick should come as no surprise to everyone who knows Al’s drafting habits.

7) 49ers: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas: Their Oline needs help and quick but with no linemen good value here they focus on getting to the opposing teams QB If they actually got some pressure other teams might not be able to pass all over them. Orakpo is the best DE in college terrorizing opposing QB’s in the Big 12 strong and quick he is everything you look for in a DE and is worthy of a top 10 pick.

8) Texans: William Moore, S, Missouri: The Texans 2 SS on the depth chart are Brandon Harrison and Nick Ferguson, that’s right, who?? They could use a definite upgrade at the SS position. Although Moore’s production is down from last year he is being asked to play a different role he was allowed to roam the field and follow the ball this year he is responsible for zone and is being asked to keep that part of the field safe, I still like him slightly more than Mays and have the Texans taking him as I don’t see any team taking Mays in the top 10.

9) Chargers: George Selvie, DE/OLB, South Florida: What a difference pass rush can make it is evident without Merriman the Chargers secondary is bad, they rank dead last in the NFL against the pass and the only player missing is Merriman. Merriman may come back better than ever but it can’t hurt to have another good pass rushing OLB opposite him. Once the Chargers start getting pressure on the QB Cromartie will be in the Pro Bowl again.

10) Jaguars: Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma: That Oline has played poorly this year, the Jags are a run first team, and when your line can’t open up holes you are in trouble. Robinson is premier blocker and makes Loadholt look a lot better than he actually is. The Jags can hope he might also be able to kick outside to RT if they want him there or as one of the most dominate guards in football if they prefer him on the inside.

11) Browns: Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC: The Browns defense is in need of major improvement and with Rey the perfect ILB for the 3-4 it’s a great fit. Cleveland would be foolish to pass on Rey here with their run defense just lacking that run stuffing ILB.

12) Saints: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois: I don’t know where to begin with, the Aints as usual failed to impress so far this season, they need Oline, Dline, and Secondary help. The one consistent thing about the Aints every year is the ability for teams to pass on them. Davis fell into their lap. At 6-0 and 204 lbs. with 4.4 speed Davis has everything you look for in a shutdown corner and if he decides to go pro after his junior year he could very easily be in the Top 10 mix.

13) Vikings: Tim Tebow, QB, Florida: Honestly if Florida win another NC then Tebow may just leave his God status at Florida and try to play QB in the NFL, of course he will fail and end up as a FB but at least he is playing in the NFL. Gus is not the answer at QB and Jackson was benched in favour of Gus this all does not bode well for the Vikings who hope they can address their QB need with Tebow.

14) Bears: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest: Teams are passing all over the Bears this season, look what Kerry Collins did to them with no name WR’s. With the top 2 CB’s already gone the Bears get the next best thing, along with Curry, Smith is the star of Wake’s defense with 14 INT before the 2008 season, he may only be 5-9 but with 4.4 speed he more than makes up for his height.

15) Bills: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma: It seems for some reason Edwards doesn’t like to throw the deep ball, well to accommodate his love for the short underneath routes the Bills get the best pass catching TE in the draft. Being a WR in a TE’s body will help the struggling Bills offense very quickly.

16) Eagles: Ciron Black, OT, LSU: With Tra Thomas leaving in F.A the Eagles the Eagles must find an immediate replacement unless they want to run the risk of letting McNab take hits through out the season. Black has been the LT of the talented LSU Oline and would slot immediately into the Eagles Oline.

17) Patriots: Taylor Mays, S, USC: Rodney Harrison doesn’t have much, if anything, left in the tank and the depth is almost non-existent. That means Mays would be a good fit here, Belichick is the perfect coach for Mays who will soon have him wrapping up his tackle instead of going for the big hit.

18) Lions (f/Dallas): Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech: What a master stroke of a trade this unfortunately the Lions don’t use this pick right. They should be thinking OT to protect their new QB, but someone up top can’t believe Johnson has fallen to them (with reason) and pulls the trigger to get this “special” talent. They have no pass rush but it has yet to be proven that Johnson will be able to bulk up to be able to play a majority of the snaps in the NFL.

19) Dolphins: Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest: He has instincts, speed, and strength, good in coverage, can blitz well, and doesn't miss tackles. Honestly he will probably go top 10 its just in this draft possible teams for him have chosen to go in a different Direction. Miami may run a 3-4 but there should be no problem with him in that scheme he has natural talents that fit in well anywhere.

20) Falcons: James Laurinaitis, MLB, Ohio State: I hear cry’s of “WHAT?? WHY NO TERRANCE CODY!!!!1111!!!!!!???” from certain fans but contrary to what they like to believe a one dimensional DT is not better than Laurinaitis. He falls this far because of questions about his ability to shed blocks, If your going to be picking a MLB earlier than 20 you want to be certain he has the ability to shed blocks. Laurinaitis’ best ability is in coverage which leads me to believe he is best suited as an OLB in the NFL a great leader for OU he comes in and starts straight away and should finally stop the humiliation of our starting WLB being out run by a FB converted from DT.

21) Colts: Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss: Although the Colts have focussed on stopping the run in recent weeks DT is still their biggest need, if you can’t stop the run consistently in the NFL you aren’t going to win many games. Jerry provides the needed ability to get to the passer in Dungy’s system and can also stuff the running lanes although he could stand to add some more weight.

22) Packers: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor: An excellent fit for the ZBS. The Packers snag him here to help out their offensive line, which is in real need of improvement for next season. Clifton and Tauscher have both gone downhill, so a new franchise LT is needed- Smith will be that guy.

23) Cardinals: Chris Wells, RB Ohio State: The Edge isn’t coming back next year and sure Hightower is nice but this league is turning into a 2 RB league Wells is too good of a prospect to pass up and would give an extra player to worry about in the Cardinals Offense.

24) Ravens: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri: Who would have thought that Flacco could step in and play the way he has, but outside the possession WR Mason he has nobody to throw his deep balls to. That’s where Maclin comes in at 6-1” and 4.4 speed Flacco would love to have a deep threat.

25) Buccaneers: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland: The Bucs need a WR to help who ever Gruden decides is worthy of his QB position. A play making WR that will finally give their passing attack some real threat.

26) Broncos: Brandon Spikes, MLB, Florida: I’m sure the broncos would like to get another LB with all their starters going down this season, and as some of you have told me he can play OLB in the NFL I am trusting you and will say he comes in and takes over from one of the starters most likely Nate Webster.

27) Eagles (f/Car): Eric Norwood, LB, South Carolina: Norwood is good value at that point; Norwood can play all three linebacker positions, as well as DE from time to time. He doesn’t get much attention, but he has the skill set to be a first round LB, I struggled on this pick I don’t think they take Pettigrew with his character concerns and Rolle is likely not to play football at a professional level.

28) Jets: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia: BPA here for the Jets, Jones seems to have found himself this year but is on the wrong side of 30 and Moreno will provide the heir apparent to him in New York.

29) Steelers: Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma: You can call it a reach and that’s because it is. They just gave Ben $130 million and they had better protect that investment with the best Olinemen available. Loadholt looks more impressive with Robinson playing on the inside next to him but he would probably push to be a starter on that poor Steeler line.

30) Redskins: Tyson Jackson, DE, L.S.U: The Redskins are struggling to get to the QB if they want to try to compete with the Giants, so they should look at a DE here. Jackson is more potential than production right now, but he is a guy with a strong build and great athleticism, who will be able to get to the QB.

31) Titans: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida: The Titans finally draft a receiving weapon for who ever Jeff Fisher decides his QB is going to be. Harvin would be an immediate upgrade over both of the current WR’s the only reason he drops this far is because of previous Florida WR not performing well in the NFL.

32) Giants: Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri: Before you call this a reach think about it, if Keith Rivers went in the top 10 in last year's draft, Sean Weatherspoon definitely can. 6-1, 230 lbs with 4.5-4.6 speed, as well as actual production

Falcons Picks

1) James Laurinaitis, MLB, Ohio State: I hear cry’s of “WHAT?? WHY NO TERRANCE CODY!!!!1111!!!!!!???” from certain fans but contrary to what they like to believe a one dimensional DT is not better than Laurinaitis. He falls this far because of questions about his ability to shed blocks, If your going to be picking a MLB earlier than 20 you want to be certain he has the ability to shed blocks. Laurinaitis’ best ability is in coverage which leads me to believe he is best suited as an OLB in the NFL a great leader for OU he comes in and starts straight away and should finally stop the humiliation of our starting WLB being out run by a FB converted from DT.

2) Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan: Pass rush is becoming a concern for me again QB’s are being given the time to sit back and pick apart our Cover 2, Through nine games, Graham has 15.5 TFL and nine sacks. At the very least he is going to make Jamaal compete for his spot.

3) Terrence Taylor, DT Michigan: And we continue to strengthen our Dline, Taylor at 62 and 308 pounds is more than capable of being a run stuffer in our 2 unit rotational Dline, and wont cost a first round pick.

4) Ryan Purvis, TE, Boston College: It has been mentioned many times on here that he already has a connection with Matt Ryan and it should come as no surprise he has looked very average without Matt throwing to him this season, he should fall into our laps in the 4th and we hope he can get back to his old ways with Ryan throwing him the ball again. He has the size to be taught how to block effectively but for a 4th round TE you can’t expect him to block like Witten.

5) Andrew Gardner, OT Georgia Tech: Our Oline needs depth and fast, Gardner is decent run blocker who sparked Tashard Choice the past few years, and recently our Oline has struggled opening holes for Turner, he could in at TE on obvious running downs.

5) Paul Fanaika, OG, Arizona State: Fanaika is big at 6-6 and 337 pounds. An honorable mention on the All-Pac-10 team, Fanaika is a run-blocker who helped the team's two top backs gain more than five yards per carry.

7) Jordan Norwood, WR, Penn State: He is small at 5-11 and 167 pounds but, can run a 4.44 and had an eight-catch, 116-yard performance against Oregon State. I say for a 7th round pick he can be give a shot at PR/KR duties.

1). I like the James pick, hopefully he would be able to transfer to OLB. You should look at Marcus Freeman, the OLB from OSU aswell.

stats: 69 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 3 PBU so far this year, he is shadowed behind James.

2). I don't know much about the Michigan players, I hate Rich Rodriguez so I don't watch them too much. Stats?

3). Same as above, any stats?

4). I like Purvis a lot, he can block and catch well. Plus he used to be with Matt Ryan,

5). Good.

5). Not too sure, all I know is that UGA gave Arizona **** when they had the ball. I usually saw a defender is ASU's backfield during that game.

7). He is small, but I think he plays big. I like to watch him when Penn State is on. Not sure if he'd be needed.

Overall, pretty good, but I don't know the D-Line picks. I like the O-line depth picks and the TE.

Brandon Graham : 2007 13 Sol-25 TT, 9.5 TFL, 8.5 SK, 1 PBU, 1 QBH, 2 FR, 3 FF, Through nine games he has 15.5 TFL and 9 sacks.

Terrance Taylor: Taylor has played in 38 games during his career as a Wolverine, registering 86 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, and has broken up 3 passes dropping into coverage. His athletic ability has even made a difference for the Michigan special teams unit, where he blocked two kicks during his junior year. Taylor will provide whichever NFL team that drafts him with some versatility. He would be perfect in a 4-3 system with a smaller pass rushing tackle at his side,

Brandon Graham : 2007 13 Sol-25 TT, 9.5 TFL, 8.5 SK, 1 PBU, 1 QBH, 2 FR, 3 FF, Through nine games he has 15.5 TFL and 9 sacks.

Terrance Taylor: Taylor has played in 38 games during his career as a Wolverine, registering 86 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, and has broken up 3 passes dropping into coverage. His athletic ability has even made a difference for the Michigan special teams unit, where he blocked two kicks during his junior year. Taylor will provide whichever NFL team that drafts him with some versatility. He would be perfect in a 4-3 system with a smaller pass rushing tackle at his side,

Never seen Brandon Graham, but I just saw the stats as well. So far this year, he has

48 tackles, 18 TFL, 9 sacks, 2 FF, 1 QB hurry.

those are pretty impressive numbers I'd say.

Idk about Taylor though, his stats this year seem to have a minimal impact,

1.5 sacks, 4 TFL, 30 tackles, and 1 punt/kick blocked.

I do like Graham though.

Taylor isn't going to create alot of pressure, but for a third round pick he is value imo. He does a good job at stuffing the run and does atleast show some ability of gettiing into the backfield but in our 2 unit rotational system we use o the Dline I think using a 3rd round pick on him his fine.

Just wondering what other position you would look to adress in the 3rd??

this is a very very good draft. I could definitely live with this. I like Brandon Graham a lot, and Laurinaitis is NFL OLB material. I love terrance taylor and tha rest of your draft fills needs.

my only thing is that i dont see Laurinaitis falling that far, and im not tha biggest fan of Purvis.

still this is a very nice draft. kudos.

Is this mock draft assuming that Everette Brown DOES NOT commit?

I like the majority of the picks, I'm just wondering though.

These are the Key prospects I didn't have declaring

QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma

QB Colt McCoy, Texas

QB Mark Sanchez, Southern California

QB Max Hall, Brigham Young

RB LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh

RB Graig Cooper, Miami

RB Harvey Unga, Brigham Young

RB Demarco Murray, Oklahoma

WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina

WR Brandon LaFell, Louisiana State

TE Dennis Pitta, Brigham Young

OT Eben Britton, Arizona

OT Adam Ulatoski, Texas

OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State

OT Ed Wang, Virginia Tech

OG Greg Isander, West Virginia

OG Sergio Render, Virginia Tech

OC Josh McNeil, Tennessee

DE Everette Brown Florida State

DE Jerry Hughes, TCU

DE Daniel Te’o-Nesheim, Washington

DT Terrence Cody, Alabama

DT Demarcus Granger, Oklahoma

OLB Gerald McRath, Southern Mississippi

OLB Rico McCoy, Tennessee

CB Trevard Lindley, Kentucky

CB Walter Thurmond, Oregon

S Myron Rolle, Florida State

S Kam Chancellor, Virginia Tech

Jordan Norwood? Related to jerious?

I couldn't find anything to say they where, and Jordan went to HS in Pennsylvania (I think) and Jerious in Mississippi, so its very unlikely. Oh damm that sig is distracting

Brandon Spikes is a much better fit for this system than James Laurinaitis.

Ill take Laurinatis over spikes every day, he is a natural Leader I just think the better prospect and I am still not convinced Spikes is going to play WLB better than Laurinatis is in the NFL.

I can't stand the idea of drafting a MLB in the first round, but transfering him to WB wouldn't upset me. He actually does play a lot like Brooking did in his prime. My biggest problem is the whole block shedding thing; to play in this system, that's the most important aspect behind coverage. I just don't know if I like the idea of spending such an early pick on an OLB when we have Nicholas who I believe can fill in and start at ROLB with no problem at all.

Im not drafting him as an MLB, as I said in my explanation he is better suited as an OLB, his block shedding is an issue in the Mike but I don't think it is going to be such a glaring weakness out at WLB. If Nicholas has yet to beat out Brooking I really don't think he is going to be our starter, he hasn't shown me anything to say he can start and was getting beat in coverage in the Philly game when he came in on a few snaps.

I like that a lot.

I agree that Little Animal may fall further than expected, and I agree that he'd make a better WLB, and I agree that we have a need there.

I like the idea of a pass-rusher in the 2nd, and I like the Graham fit (as well as a number of speed rushers)

I also like the idea of a run-stuffer in the 3rd, and TT would certainly fit the bill.

Other picks are fine.

To complement that draft, I would want to have acquired a SS (such as Sean Jones or Jermaine Phillips) in FA, as well as a beast RT like Carey or Andrews.

Put that all together, and we've got ourselves a deal.