AAll In's Keys to Victory

AAllInFlynn

Offense - Pass to Run

Pass to setup the run. In all four losses the Falcons faced stout schemes against the run. I expect no less from the un-imaginative John Fox. Carolina will put eight in the box. When forced to pass the Falcons saw success against Denver, Philadelphia, and in the second half against Tampa. Lucas matches up well with Roddy White, so I expect that Jenkins and Douglass will need to emerge big time in this game. Matt Ryan has shown that he has the ability to carry the team on his right arm. The offensive line has provided great protection this year. They will need to step it up against a strong Carolina pass rush. Mularkey will need to mix in the pass on obvious rushing downs.

Defense - Stop Williams and Stewart

During back to back lack luster performances against the Raider and Lions, the defender of the fresh biscuit, Jake Delhomme had awful games. Luckily for Carolina they were able to get strong performances from Johnathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams. Carolina is likely salivating at the prospects of facing the Falcons D this week. Another performance like one against Denver will all but ensure defeat. Suprisingly, the Falcons are stronger up the middle, the weakness of the Falcons D appears, at least to me, to be when teams run off tackle. The two tandems of Jamal Anderson/Michael Boley and John Abraham/Keith Brooking need to play at a high level this game and stop those sweeps.

Special Teams - Field Position

The special teams have been average and can only be considered such because of two great kickers, Koenen and Elam. Specials will need to have an impact this game. A blocked punt would be nice, but doesn't seem likely. The more likely place of impact is to ensure that the offense has a short field and to pin the Panthers deep when they have the ball. Sounds easy, but the Falcons have struggled mightily here all season. Punts hardly ever get downed inside the 5 - 10 yard line and the punt return team has been suspect at best. These trends need to be reversed this game.

Intangibles

A loud crowd at the dome will go a long way in this game. I remember, not too long ago, how big an impact the crowd had at causing false starts and unscheduled timeouts. Hopefully the town can muster that kind of support for this game.

Turnovers are a key to any game, but with Jake's past performances I am expecting a misstep from him this game. I just can't wish for it, the D needs to make it happen!

My Prediction

Well, I don't like to predict games. Why make this section you ask? Well, I usually get a feeling before the games. Last week I had a bad feeling. It is my Falcons radar and it has been fairly accurate. Let's just say, this week, I don't have a bad feeling about this game. I look for my Falcons to be hungry and Carolina to be a little flat. That's my take. Post your thoughts...

I will bite.

We need to stop the run consistently. If we can hold them on first or second down and force the throw, we will have a great game. We do not need to stop them for a loss every time, just hold them to two or three yards. I think Smith knows this, as does fox and they will try and throw more to catch us off guard (and they had a lot of success last time through the air).

We need to mix it up and should NOT BE AFRAID TO SEND THE LB's! This will free up Abe and the boys to put on pressure.

When we have the ball, I think we will do best with short underneath passes. If they put eight in the box, we can actually run a "west coast" style offense and pick them apart before going over their heads to Jenks or White. It would be nice to have a good pass catching tight end. Little has been said about our receivers abilities to catch those quick outs for a five yard gain.

In running, We need to keep doing what we are doing, just a little less frequently. Stop sending turner up the middle and look for some cutbacks (I know, our OL is banged up, but we can stretch the field a little here and there) and keep up the good work with Norwood.

I think Delhome has a good game and gets back on track. I will predict us in a semi-squeaker 21-13. I think we get a TD in the fourth with about 3 minutes left to put the game away.

-The Bird-

When we have the ball, I think we will do best with short underneath passes. If they put eight in the box, we can actually run a "west coast" style offense and pick them apart before going over their heads to Jenks or White. It would be nice to have a good pass catching tight end. Little has been said about our receivers abilities to catch those quick outs for a five yard gain.

I couldn't agree more. I hope this game pans out this way, as this isn't Mularkey's tendency.

Everybody knows Carolina is going to come out trying to shutdown the run. I think our first drive should be a no-huddle scripted offense. We should come out with Turner, Norwood, Peele, Ryan, Roddy, and Jenkins. This is a strong run and pass package and will dictate that Carolina puts in their standard 4-3 with 2 safeties (3 players for coverage). We have enough versatile playmakers on the field to provide a lot of options for Ryan to call at the LOS and to keep Carolina off-balance.

With this personnel, we have so much speed and power, we could create countless advantageous matchups. We could go singleback 4 wide with Norwood out wide and Peele in the slot, a split back set, power I formation, or even empty the backfield with 5 wide having Turner run a short curl route (basically extended handoff). Peele could lineup over LT or RT, in the slot, or move him into the backfield as a leadblocker for Turner with Norwood in the slot. All of which gives us favorable matchups, keeps the Panthers D guessing, on their heals, and doesn't give them an opportunity to adjust to our gameplan.

good read..

My huband was telling me on the way from the dome sunday that the falcons need to pass to set up the run. The o line is much improved but like the giants can we can't bowl over people. Giants run on any and everybody and no one can stop them, they're a run to set up the pass team because they can beat those 8 and 9 man fronts. My husband was losing his mind on Sunday because Denver was SCREAMING for Atlanta to burn them with the pass and we didn't we stuck with the run. Carolina will gear up to stop the run and I hope we make them pay.

Everybody knows Carolina is going to come out trying to shutdown the run. I think our first drive should be a no-huddle scripted offense. We should come out with Turner, Norwood, Peele, Ryan, Roddy, and Jenkins. This is a strong run and pass package and will dictate that Carolina puts in their standard 4-3 with 2 safeties (3 players for coverage). We have enough versatile playmakers on the field to provide a lot of options for Ryan to call at the LOS and to keep Carolina off-balance.

With this personnel, we have so much speed and power, we could create countless advantageous matchups. We could go singleback 4 wide with Norwood out wide and Peele in the slot, a split back set, power I formation, or even empty the backfield with 5 wide having Turner run a short curl route (basically extended handoff). Peele could lineup over LT or RT, in the slot, or move him into the backfield as a leadblocker for Turner with Norwood in the slot. All of which gives us favorable matchups, keeps the Panthers D guessing, on their heals, and doesn't give them an opportunity to adjust to our gameplan.

Hmm interesting concept. I think Mularkey likes to use the No-huddle as a change of pace though (although it would be nice to see no huddle for a large portion of the game). He also likes to probe the oppositions defense for weakness, especially in the first couple of series. This is not a game where the Falcons can impose their will through the run game. I guess my point is Carolina has too much talent on D to do this, especially since stopping the run will be their focus. Using a formation that can be used for both run and pass is a must. If the formation gives away run or pass the Falcons will struggle in those situations.

good read..

My huband was telling me on the way from the dome sunday that the falcons need to pass to set up the run. The o line is much improved but like the giants can we can't bowl over people. Giants run on any and everybody and no one can stop them, they're a run to set up the pass team because they can beat those 8 and 9 man fronts. My husband was losing his mind on Sunday because Denver was SCREAMING for Atlanta to burn them with the pass and we didn't we stuck with the run. Carolina will gear up to stop the run and I hope we make them pay.

Agreed. This is the first time this season that the coaching staff looked outmatched. Thank goodness that Shannahan doesn't coach the Panties and that it's John Fox.