why is mel gibson so mad?

mizzufalcfan

Gibson get's a bad rap... he is a bad *** and by far my favorite actor of the last 25 years.

While I agree that Mel is a terrific actor and has made and/or starred in some of my favorite movies, his "bad rap" is of his own doing. He produced and sponsored a very anti-semitic movie and then for an encore, gets drunk and stopped by the cops only to go on a jew bashing obscenity filled tirade. A simple apology, no matter how well rehearsed, is going to absolve him of these things. However, if he'd simply get back to acting, then in a few years, he'll make the vast majority of us forget about most of the other stuff... :P

While I agree that Mel is a terrific actor and has made and/or starred in some of my favorite movies, his "bad rap" is of his own doing. He produced and sponsored a very anti-semitic movie and then for an encore, gets drunk and stopped by the cops only to go on a jew bashing obscenity filled tirade. A simple apology, no matter how well rehearsed, is going to absolve him of these things. However, if he'd simply get back to acting, then in a few years, he'll make the vast majority of us forget about most of the other stuff... :P

Though I believe Mel Gibson to be a great actor, and somewhat of a anti-semitic bigot. How was the Passion of Christ anti-semitic?

So does the Bible.

Not exactly. There are definitely references to the growing seperation between the Christian faith and Jews noted in the Bible, but the Bible itself doesn't hang the blame on the Jews. In fact the Vactican came out in 1960 something and stated emphatically that the Jews were not to blame for Christ's death. Gibson used the books of Matthew, Mark, and Luke as the basis of his movie, but he filled in the gaps and holes with his own opinions and those of his religious beliefs. Gibson follows a much narrower version of Catholicism. They call it Traditional Catholicism, and it split off of the main branch after the 2nd Vactican Council in the early 1960s. This narrow branch believes the Pope has fallen into heresy, and that Jews did indeed murder Christ. That's not the mainstream interpretation of the Bible, nor is it a foundation belief of either mainstream Catholics or the majority of Protestant Christians.

That's pretty much how it went down. It's not anti-semitic. It's just what happened.

According to whom? In Gibson's movie, the Romans were painted as sympathetic and even apologetic, and the Jews were depicted as being bloodthirsty and murderous. He made them out to be the ones solely responsible for the death of Christ. He made look Pilate look like a merciful ruler who was belittled and bullied into crucifying Christ. The Bible doesn't paint this same picture, and very few Christian doctrines teach this. I'm not a follower of organized religion, but from the texts that I've studied of various Catholic and Protestant teachings, I've only come across this same POV once...in Traditional Catholic propaganda.

:ph34r:

Not exactly. There are definitely references to the growing seperation between the Christian faith and Jews noted in the Bible, but the Bible itself doesn't hang the blame on the Jews. In fact the Vactican came out in 1960 something and stated emphatically that the Jews were not to blame for Christ's death. Gibson used the books of Matthew, Mark, and Luke as the basis of his movie, but he filled in the gaps and holes with his own opinions and those of his religious beliefs. Gibson follows a much narrower version of Catholicism. They call it Traditional Catholicism, and it split off of the main branch after the 2nd Vactican Council in the early 1960s. This narrow branch believes the Pope has fallen into heresy, and that Jews did indeed murder Christ. That's not the mainstream interpretation of the Bible, nor is it a foundation belief of either mainstream Catholics or the majority of Protestant Christians.

According to whom? In Gibson's movie, the Romans were painted as sympathetic and even apologetic, and the Jews were depicted as being bloodthirsty and murderous. He made them out to be the ones solely responsible for the death of Christ. He made look Pilate look like a merciful ruler who was belittled and bullied into crucifying Christ. The Bible doesn't paint this same picture, and very few Christian doctrines teach this. I'm not a follower of organized religion, but from the texts that I've studied of various Catholic and Protestant teachings, I've only come across this same POV once...in Traditional Catholic propaganda.

:ph34r:

I'm not Catholic, I'm Protestant. But Pilate did asked the people who did they want, Barabbas the murderer or Jesus. The Jewish people chanted to crucify Christ and Pilate gave them what they wanted and washed his hands of the matter. However from a religious stand point I don't fully put the blame on the Jews anyway because Jesus` main purpose was to be crucified and that would happen even if the Jews called for Barabbas instead.

I'm not Catholic, I'm Protestant. But Pilate did asked the people who did they want, Barabbas the murderer or Jesus. The Jewish people chanted to crucify Christ and Pilate gave them what they wanted and washed his hands of the matter. However from a religious stand point I don't fully put the blame on the Jews anyway because Jesus` main purpose was to be crucified and that would happen even if the Jews called for Barabbas instead.

Guess I never thought of it that way...everything I've read always referred to the mob, which had Jews among it, as well as corrupt priests, chose Barabbas...never really associated the entire crowd as Jews...Guess it comes down to how it's passed on to everyone. Still say the movie was full of anti-semitic references though... :ph34r: