can Atlanta's Matt Ryan make the Pro Bowl as a rookie?

kenk

Ryan in the Pro Bowl? Why not?

November 13, 2008 3:19 PM

sorry if already posted!!

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

Bleacher Report's James Rees raises the question, can Atlanta's Matt Ryan make the Pro Bowl as a rookie?

Suddenly, that's become a very legitimate question. Ryan's numbers are very solid, although not up there with the elite. But he has resurrected a franchise and that counts for something. The fact he's playing on what now is a good team also should help.

Right now, I'd guess that Eli Manning, Drew Brees and Kurt Warner will be the Pro Bowl quarterbacks for the NFC. But I think Ryan probably is next in line and still has a chance to climb ahead of any of them.

What do you think?

Atlanta Falcons, Matt Ryan, Pro Bowl, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Kurt Warner

Read comments or leave a comment

I have no problems with Warner and Brees being a head of Ryan, but I'm not so sure about Manning. I haven't heard much out of him as far as him posting Pro Bowl numbers, so I won't say with certainty that Ryan should be ahead of him...

his numbers are similar to ryans. he has like 1,900 yds with 14 TDs and 6 INTs i think. ryan has 1,909 yds with 11 TDs and 5 INTs.

Putting up good numbers against the Raiders or the Saints isn't exactly the hardest thing in the word. A Pro Bowl QB should be able to handle a top 3 defense and i don't see it right now with Ryan. He struggled against Philly (they aren't even top 5), he struggled against Carolina. How is he going to look like vs Baltimore? Pittsburgh? That's what we don't know yet. He's not even close to being a Pro Bowl QB. But if all you're looking for is stats then i guess he is.

I have no problems with Warner and Brees being a head of Ryan, but I'm not so sure about Manning. I haven't heard much out of him as far as him posting Pro Bowl numbers, so I won't say with certainty that Ryan should be ahead of him...

but ya know what, I live in the NY area, and everyone around here LOVES Eli (its all I listen to all day long).... and the pro bowl voting is a popularity contest. And since the giants are a dominant team this year I would put money that he makes it, regardless of his numbers.

Putting up good numbers against the Raiders or the Saints isn't exactly the hardest thing in the word. A Pro Bowl QB should be able to handle a top 3 defense and i don't see it right now with Ryan. He struggled against Philly (they aren't even top 5), he struggled against Carolina. How is he going to look like vs Baltimore? Pittsburgh? That's what we don't know yet. He's not even close to being a Pro Bowl QB. But if all you're looking for is stats then i guess he is.

you're right, philly isnt a top 5 D, but they are #9 and #6 in pass D. i dont think he struggled against philly. the qb rating didnt look so good but he did have 277 yds 2 TD and 2 INT, which isnt all that bad either. he was also just 1 bad call away from possibly bringing us back and winning the game. he also did a pretty good job against the green bay packers pass D, in lambeau, and threw for 2 TDs and just 1 pick. they've gotten the most picks in the league this year (16) and have only allowed 11 TDs through the air. 2 of those TDs came from our qb and just one of those picks were his.

Wheb he throws for 300+ and 2 TD's against the Bronco's it will help. I don't care if he makes the Pro Bowl in his rookie season. I do think it would be a much more impressive feat if he gets his team to the Playoffs in his rookie season. He is the most impressive rookie QB that I can remember since Dan Marino.

Ryan is playing well enough to go, but unfortunately Warner decided to have a MVP season, and that could leave RYan outside looking in.

Eli - He is the QB of the media darling Giants. Nuff Said. Until he starts to blow, he will ride the hype of his 07 postseason.

Brees - He is on record setting pace for yards. no way he doesnt make it

Warner - see above. He might be the best QB in the NFL.

then you group together guys like Ryan who is doing well obviously, Campbell who except for one bad game has played similar to Garrard last season. very efficient and mistake free. And you have to cinsider Garcia who has main PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL attention and has brought life back to the bucs after getting the starting role back. Not sure of Rodgers stats, but he has GB playing well. So goes the same for Orten in CHI.

Not to mention even with the fan vote he probably wont get the nod from the vet players. they general arent in favor of rookies in the pro bowl I have heard.

So, yeah he could do it, but I wouldnt expect it......... this year. Sadly the QB comp is much weaker in the AFC this year. That is sad because I would be p#ssed if Flacco somehow made it but not Ryan as a rookie.

We do have to play CAR and TB, however we play at the dome. Name 1 game (at the dome) where Ryan struggled.....My point exactly. Ryan's numbers will go up as the season progresses, also don't forget HE IS A ROOKIE!!!! The fact that he is being compared to names such as Homo...I mean Romo, Breez, Warner, and Eli shows a lot.

True, but the Pro-Bowl is also a popularity contest and Ryan has been getting some media attention.

Oh and about the "Putting up good numbers against the Raiders or the Saints isn't exactly the hardest thing in the world."

Ask Delhomme how easy it is to put up good numbers against the Raiders.....