Falcons: Feel good story of the 2008-2009 season

The following is an extremely bitter rant. I apologize in advance.

It may just be me but all of these people in the media and around the league "cheering for this story" can kick rocks! These are all the same people that over the DECADES have bad mouthed our franchise, went out of their way to mention all the bad while oh so conviently neglecting any type of positives. The same jerk offs who said we would essentially be a joke franchise for a really long time. I spit on the accolades these clowns are throwing our way.

It disgust me when they say we pulled out another victory with that idiotic tone of extreme surprise that makes these grown mens voices crack like prepubecents. What? Is it that unfathomable that the lowly Falcons could generate a win? Then in times past when wins were aquired it was because we beat up on sub par teams or whatever other excuse they could muster to continually disrespect our squad. I mean seriously even in the NFCCG of 98 we got no love and we were 14-2. 14-2! Are you effing kidding me.

And once again we are starting to show promise. Actually no, scratch that, we are finally living up to the potential that all of us knew we possesed and unlike the people saying "now the Falcons are for real" we have never and will never give up on that potential. And I think that's why I'm so irked at everyone who wasn't there for the borderline hopelessness, and neverending disrespect all of a sudden wanting to cheer for this story. Where were theyr when our reciecers couldn't catch a stray bullet in a driveby, or during Knapps run and punt offense, or when we had to suffer thru, not witness but suffer thru the 07 08 season. I'll tell you where they were, they were staring in our faces pointing and laughing. And now that we getting our just due they want to feel good about the Falcons? They can take their warm and fuzzies and hang themselves with them.

I know a lot of us yearned for media respect and I can understand that. But don't get too attached because if we should happen to slip all of those rat bastages will abandon ship quicker than premature ejaculation, and say things like "we thought the falcons were for real but now the real falcons are back."

Bottom line: to all of those pundits and "experts" who continually ****ed on us in the past and now want a peice of what we got going, I only have two words for you. One of the words is "off" .

Aw - come on! There's plenty of room on the bandwagon.

I like being the underdog though - it brings a little fire to the furnace, so to speak. (God, Emmitt - I hate you!)

Na - it's the nature of the beast. How many Colts fans were there in the entire country for the few years before Manning? How many are there now. It just happens and it's ok.

You know you are a true fan. You know you are there - good and bad - and that's good too.

This ride is fun - so much better than last year. Let's just love it!

You have to admit. The Falcons are a good story. If this turn-around story of this team from last year to now doesn't make you feel good then you have a heart of stone. Even the blind homers were predicting a maximum number of 8 wins this season, did you really expect the national media to predict play-offs for this team or something? Most of the preseason analysis, while they predicted very few wins, did say this team was headed in the right track and made all the right off-season moves.

It seems to me that you're just going to have to get used to the fair weather fans, because the Matt Ryan bandwagon is going to be huge if he lives up to the expectations. I personally like seeing our Falcon's getting national coverage. These guys have worked really hard and deserve to be recognized by people other than us hardcore homers on the message board.

That's why I stopped looking for any props from the media a long time ago.

Just win, baby and the media accolades will come, sincere or not.

Couldn't have put it any better myself, the media tends to follow whoever is "on top" at the moment. I find it to be quite entertaining that before the season started no one really gave any mention to the Falcons except for to say this was a "rebuilding" year and we would be lucky to win 3 maybe 4 games. However now that we're 6-3 there's beginning to be a little more chatter about us and we're doing or capable of doing.

Those of us who have been there from the beginning and stuck with this organization through the years are the ones who are truly being rewarded by this great season we're having.

Did I think we would be 6-3 at this point in the season. Not even close...and I considered myself and optimist. I had us pegged for 3-6 right about now on our way to a 7-9 season.

I think in our wildest dreams - we did not as a collective fan base (even as ardent as some folks on this board are) believe we'd be a Top 10 team.

Where the media fell down though in their pre-season prognositcations though was:

1) The NFL is a year to year league. The talent base between the 5th best team and the 32nd best team is quite slim. Only the truly elite teams have a significant talent advantage.

2) Completely underestimated the impact of the sewage that was the 2007 season being removed from Flowery Branch. Even amidst that disaster, we won 4 games. In addition to that, failed to recognize a burgeonig talent base already on the roster.

3) Completely overestimated the attachment to Vick the fanbase had. The notion that Atlanta would cling to Vick's memory as if he were some type of martyr that would ultimately hang over this franchise for years was poppycock. Winning cures alot of ills and while Vick still has his fans - most have moved on.

4) Overlooked less than marquee level talent being brought onto the roster. While Michael Turner was the headline signing, Falcons did a good job to enforce depth positions with professional level and calibre back-ups and added starters as well (Erik Coleman).

5) The New Coach High. When most teams change regimes, it's proven that by in large their first season is a step up from the last season under the previous regime. As much as we all like Smitty & Dimitroff, year 2 is when the rubber really meets the road in terms of the organizations adoption of the 'program'. When a new coach comes on board, everyone has a clean slate. Even after a successful Year 1, most clean slates are gone.

What noone could have foreseen though was Matt Ryan. Honestly, without Ryan, we probably have 4 wins max. While that would have also brought kudos, the shock factor of absolutely shoving the medias 1 & 2 win predicitions for the Falcons would have been more muted and dismissed as a side story of sorts. A 'maybe in 2009, they can challenge for a play-off spot' type condesending coverage. But we are in the thick of the race now and so we simply can't be ignored.

One last point: Overall progress does not always mean year to year improvement. Year 2 of the Dimitroff/Smith plan may not result in more victories (witness Cleveland circa 2008). Just because success is bred one year in the NFL does not mean it's a platform for future success unless the plan is solid and the organizations commitment to that plan is airtight.

In 2004, we thought we had a plan. That plan turned out to be 'ride Vick's coattails'. That led us nowhere fast and **** eventually. This time, I feel better about the stewards of this ship and the men in charge of it's execution. Let's keep our fingers crossed that 2009 is a continuation along the path that leads us to a Super Bowl victory and a stature within the league as a consistent winner.

You have to admit. The Falcons are a good story. If this turn-around story of this team from last year to now doesn't make you feel good then you have a heart of stone. Even the blind homers were predicting a maximum number of 8 wins this season, did you really expect the national media to predict play-offs for this team or something? Most of the preseason analysis, while they predicted very few wins, did say this team was headed in the right track and made all the right off-season moves.

It seems to me that you're just going to have to get used to the fair weather fans, because the Matt Ryan bandwagon is going to be huge if he lives up to the expectations. I personally like seeing our Falcon's getting national coverage. These guys have worked really hard and deserve to be recognized by people other than us hardcore homers on the message board.

Nice post. :)

Look, this team has not had a true leader since probably the late 90's. YKW was never a leader. Rankin Smith and his son were two of the worst owners in the NFL and our coaching staff at times was a joke.

Things have been changing for the better and they are starting to reach a head.

First, Blank bought this team. This is a man that will do anything for the city of Atlanta. I go to home depot now instead of Lowes (even though I think lows is a better store) just to support the man's stock and the falcons. Blank loves this team and wants to be involved with all of the players (maybe to much). All he asks is for the players to be good role models and to try and win. He would spend his last cent trying to make this team better. His problem was lack of experience owning a team, but that is quickly fading. I don't think he will make the same mistake twice.

The front office has been improved so much over the last year it's not funny. Before TD got here he was first hand witness on how to build a winning and prosperous franchise. He is putting the pieces where they need to be. If this years draft was any indication of where this team is going then hold on to your hats ladies and gentlemen. This is going to be one wild ride.

I love Coach Smith. If for one reason it would have to be how he communicates with the team. He is steady, level headed and you can just tell the players respect him. The football gods were smiling on us when Parcells turned the job down.

If anyone now questions the purging of the locker room they need help. It seems like every one of the players is more dedicated and more team oriented. I laugh at teams like the cowboy's. They might overall have more talent, but if we played the 10 times I would bet they couldn't beat us more than 50% of the time. Team work and passion are things that can't be bought, so go spend your money Mr. Davis and Mr. Jones. Fill your teams with malcontents and watch as you are passed by a quality program built to win for years.

The "experts" are always going to take the easy road and pick the obvious choices. They always do. Yes, I expect several analysts to jump on the band wagon. I don't really care. People who listen to them are leeches who don't understand the sport or what it takes to win. Anyone can pick the most talented team to win, but they don't always. My loyalty has always been with the falcons because it is the city where I was born and raised. Now my loyalty is with the falcons because they are the team in my home town dedicated to winning and producing a quality program that the fans can be proud of. No gimmicks, no tricks just in your face - smash mouth football.

I agree with you to an extent, but at the same time those guys do get paid to talk about whose doing really good (and really bad) and why.. AND, we did have our starting franchise #1 draft pick QB go to federal prison, so you cannot really blame the analysts for bad mouthing Atlanta. Not to mention Mora saying he wanted to coach Washington, Petrino bolting, and Parcells yes then no delimma..

One thing I give the writers credit for is they have talked highly of Arthur Blank. They say things like "he wants to win, and build a respectable franchise on and off the field." The one thing they have been critical of is that he hasnt put the right 'football guys' in charge and let them handle their business. Well its pretty safe to say that he has done that with Smith/Dimitroff.

It is easy to hate the writers for bad mouthing us, but I dont blame them. I blame Vick, Petrino etc etc etc. They made us the laughing stock of the NFL.

I agree with the initial post. These guys were queuing up to spew their irrational hatred of the Falcons in the off-season, telling us that we were no better than an expansion team and would equal the worst record of any team in the last 30 years.

We don't want or need them on the bandwagon.

LOL, I can appreciate your passion... but by your standards there are actually no "bad" teams in the NFL, they are all good teams not living up to their potential... I'm sorry, you are wrong. Detroit sucks, maybe a few good players but that team element (or lack of) coaching staff and front office need to be swept. Chiefs suck... Raiders suck big time... Same could be said of us last year... we sucked! I watched every painful game hoping maybe we could accidentally win something and we didn't (well nothing notable)...

WE SUCKED!! we were not a good team not living up to our potential we just plain sucked. Now with a new coaching staff, new front office, new players, key veterens and a new stigma we are not a bad team at all... dare I say a very good team (only time will tell). These pundits aren't paid to be loyal or try to lift struggling teams up out of the ashes... they are paid to tear teams down, sling rumor around and bring extra "drama" to the sport.

I would puke if I saw all the pundits patting all the teams on the back and telling them how good they could "be" get over it man, I'm guessing you haven't been watching these guys very long...

This is my opinion...Anyone who made it through last year and stood by this team is a real fan....I know alot of people here were fans of Vick and thats how they started watching the team, but if your still here after what happened, then you gotta be a die hard falcons fan..

Im just happy the team is playing the way it has, anyone who knows me would tell you im a die hard fan, even last year I had hope, My lowest point was trying to explain how Joey Harrington was going to be a good QB here in ATL, it didnt take long for him to make me look like an idiot....Anyone remember what happened in his first pass as a falcon??

But the media is alway's going to try and find a cinderella story, last year it was the browns, the year before the saints....Ignore them cause they dont really know much anyway, I just represent my team through good and bad times, and thats all we can do. The bandwagon fans will find a new team next season.

This is my opinion...Anyone who made it through last year and stood by this team is a real fan....I know alot of people here were fans of Vick and thats how they started watching the team, but if your still here after what happened, then you gotta be a die hard falcons fan..

Im just happy the team is playing the way it has, anyone who knows me would tell you im a die hard fan, even last year I had hope, My lowest point was trying to explain how Joey Harrington was going to be a good QB here in ATL, it didnt take long for him to make me look like an idiot....Anyone remember what happened in his first pass as a falcon??

But the media is alway's going to try and find a cinderella story, last year it was the browns, the year before the saints....Ignore them cause they dont really know much anyway, I just represent my team through good and bad times, and thats all we can do. The bandwagon fans will find a new team next season.

Good post. We can only hope that Matt Ryan's first pass as a Falcon is just as much of an indicator of his future worth the franchise as Joey Harrington's was ;)

but i kind of like it that the media is finally giving us some love. i kno a lot of you now are confident that we are going to the playoffs this year and that matty ice will be on fire these last 7 games, but honestly im still waiting for the downfall to happen. every week i try to be optimistic, but i can never be confident on us winning.

basically hearing the media give us praise makes me feel better about this team, because the whole "oh it was only the lions chiefs and raiders" thing got really old

but i kind of like it that the media is finally giving us some love. i kno a lot of you now are confident that we are going to the playoffs this year and that matty ice will be on fire these last 7 games, but honestly im still waiting for the downfall to happen. every week i try to be optimistic, but i can never be confident on us winning.

basically hearing the media give us praise makes me feel better about this team, because the whole "oh it was only the lions chiefs and raiders" thing got really old

I agree

i like the responses in this thread a lot. i am a falcon fan since i can remember walking back in 1979. last year was abysmal, but i couldn't wait to see this team play this year. i just wish this city would have shown the same support for mike vick in 2005 and 2006 that matt ryan is getting in 2008 but more importantly i wish tom dimitroff and mike smith came to atl in 2002. don't get me wrong though, i'm just as happy to see matt ryan having his success in 2008...it was just so go**amn exciting to watch #7 play.

It's funny watching people walk around now in their brand new Atlanta gear. I guess usually someone jumps on the bandwagon at some point but when you are on and off over and over again depending if they are winning is kind of lame.

When you look at the Raiders and their fans' devotion, it is something to envy. New Falcon hats and shirts are camouflage for the jumpers.