Atlanta Falcons 2009 Freeagent report

atljbo

Atlanta

Potential UFAs: DT Jonathan Babineaux, OLB Michael Boley, OLB Keith Brooking*, DE Chauncey Davis, CB Domonique Foxworth, OT Wayne Gandy, MLB Tony Gilbert, DT Grady Jackson, DT Jason Jefferson, WR Michael Jenkins*, P Michael Koenen, SS Lawyer Milloy, TE Justin Peelle, OLB Coy Wire.

* — Believed to have a voidable clause in his contract that will allow him to opt out of his pact early, making him a free agent.

Potential RFAs: OT Tyson Clabo, OT Harvey Dahl, SS Jamaal Fudge, C-OG Ben Wilkerson.

Analysis: GM Thomas Dimitroff is allowing players coming up on free agency to either play themselves in or out of the club’s future plans. At the midway point of the season, DT Jonathan Babineaux and WR Michael Jenkins appeared to be the most likely soon-to-be free agents whom Atlanta would like to have back. Depending on how the Falcons handle their own crop, they could have a good chunk of cap space heading into the offseason. WLB Keith Brooking’s contract, which put a $7.7 million dent in the cap this year, is voidable and could come off the books after ’08. If Dimitroff has money to spend, he isn’t afraid to make a big splash, as he proved last year when he dished out a $34.5 million deal (approximately $15 million guaranteed) to free-agent RB Michael Turner. Sources say the club will focus almost exclusively on defensive upgrades in ’09, as starters such as SLB Michael Boley and SS Lawyer Milloy are unlikely to be re-signed. The Falcons would like to keep Brooking, but at a much lower price than what he’s currently making. WR Roddy White won’t become a free agent until after ’09, but Atlanta might decide to lock him up long term this winter.

We should have 25-32 million in cap space...... None of our freeagents should cost allot to resign (including Boley now) (unless we give roddy that extension....we will still have allot of moeny and vicks money is off the books after the 09 season)........ We are looking real good right about now..... Every player in the league see us as a up incoming contender....Our window is just opening......

With Keith Brooking contract being voidable..... We will void the contract and sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal for about 2-3 million a year...... A very cap friendly contract ..... I think Keith Brooking will get a Tedy Bruschi type contract (two-year, $4.1 million contract)......... Brooking will look like a great leader and a team player

LMFAO!!!

But WTF re-sign Boley.

don't get too attached to the players, my friend. this is a business... and boley hasn't shown why he should be worth the big bucks all season and don't forget that incident last summer where he hit his wife... that's not a good sign for him with dimitroff as GM.

don't get too attached to the players, my friend. this is a business... and boley hasn't shown why he should be worth the big bucks all season and don't forget that incident last summer where he hit his wife... that's not a good sign for him with dimitroff as GM.

Yea that's a big reason why i want him back, i can't lie. He is one of my fav players. I don't know whats wrong with him, he hasn't been the same this season. I remember watching games, seeing a big hit and then hearing "MICHAEL BOLEY!!" it just doesn't happen anymore.

I was watching the highlights of the Saints game, and i was very disappointed to see his poor tackle attempt on Deuce. It was the screen play, Boley has a great chance to make the tackle and he just dove at him high and 'nudged' him. That's like fundamentals man, you gotta wrap. I got chewed out by my coaches for doing that. Idk, but it was kinda disappointing, i thought it was Brooking at first but it was #59. I guess if we let him go, i can understand but then we'd need 2 OLB. I'd rather re-sign him to a 2 year deal or something.

sorry the pizza is running late, ill try to be there soon.

thanks for being honest. i can respect that.

i have to say that boley hasnt been as good this year. its unfortunate because he looked like he was going to develop into a pro-bowl player last year. if he doesnt pick it up in the 2nd half of the year im not sure he will be resigned. that sucks.

I'm torn on the Boley situation. I *really* like Boley, but everybody's right, he hasn't played as well this season. With that said, he has been far from bad. His coverage against the Saints was really good, and I also remember him chasing down the ball-carrier late in the game for a big stop.

I don't really know where this writer is getting his info. from. I can understand us not re-signing Lawyer (simply because of his age and declining cover-skills), but Boley is a different story. We have the money to spend and it would only make sense to lock up one of our better defensive players, especially after he (Boley) has shown flashes of great play over these last couple of seasons. He's a guy that I think will always be a reliable OLB, maybe not a great one, but one that we don't have to worry about.