Atlanta Falcons 2009 freeagent report

atljbo

Atlanta

Potential UFAs: DT Jonathan Babineaux, OLB Michael Boley, OLB Keith Brooking*, DE Chauncey Davis, CB Domonique Foxworth, OT Wayne Gandy, MLB Tony Gilbert, DT Grady Jackson, DT Jason Jefferson, WR Michael Jenkins*, P Michael Koenen, SS Lawyer Milloy, TE Justin Peelle, OLB Coy Wire.

* — Believed to have a voidable clause in his contract that will allow him to opt out of his pact early, making him a free agent.

Potential RFAs: OT Tyson Clabo, OT Harvey Dahl, SS Jamaal Fudge, C-OG Ben Wilkerson.

Analysis: GM Thomas Dimitroff is allowing players coming up on free agency to either play themselves in or out of the club’s future plans. At the midway point of the season, DT Jonathan Babineaux and WR Michael Jenkins appeared to be the most likely soon-to-be free agents whom Atlanta would like to have back. Depending on how the Falcons handle their own crop, they could have a good chunk of cap space heading into the offseason. WLB Keith Brooking’s contract, which put a $7.7 million dent in the cap this year, is voidable and could come off the books after ’08. If Dimitroff has money to spend, he isn’t afraid to make a big splash, as he proved last year when he dished out a $34.5 million deal (approximately $15 million guaranteed) to free-agent RB Michael Turner. Sources say the club will focus almost exclusively on defensive upgrades in ’09, as starters such as SLB Michael Boley and SS Lawyer Milloy are unlikely to be re-signed. The Falcons would like to keep Brooking, but at a much lower price than what he’s currently making. WR Roddy White won’t become a free agent until after ’09, but Atlanta might decide to lock him up long term this winter.

We should have 25-32 million in cap space...... None of our freeagents should cost allot to resign (including Boley now) (unless we give roddy that extension....we will still have allot of moeny and vicks money is off the books after the 09 season)........ We are looking real good right about now..... Every player in the league see us as a up incoming contender....Our window is just opening......

With Keith Brooking contract being voidable..... We will void the contract and sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal for about 2-3 million a year...... A very cap friendly contract ..... I think Keith Brooking will get a Tedy Bruschi type contract (two-year, $4.1 million contract)......... Brooking will look like a great leader and a team player

if money ever did become an issue, it would be nice to lock up clabo, dahl, and boley long term. after sunday, i'm thinking foxworth could turn into a stud also. there are several others that would be nice to keep, but those are the four i would focus on.

We should have 25-32 million in cap space...... None of our freeagents should cost allot to resign (including Boley now) (unless we give roddy that extension....we will still have allot of moeny and vicks money is off the books after the 09 season)........ We are looking real good right about now..... Every player in the league see us as a up incoming contender....Our window is just opening......

With Keith Brooking contract being voidable..... We will void the contract and sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal for about 2-3 million a year...... A very cap friendly contract ..... I think Keith Brooking will get a Tedy Bruschi type contract (two-year, $4.1 million contract)......... Brooking will look like a great leader and a team player

Yes, I would think our unexpected success this year would allow us to have a chance to sign any free-agent we chose to target. Some of these signings (Roddy White) are no-brainers. I'd like to see Milloy and Brooking stick around for a while, too. At the right price, I wouldn't be upset if we resigned either of them.

We really do need to make sure we keep this OL together for the long term. Except for McClure. We need to find his eventual replacement but we have a few years to do that.

I'm all in favor of keeping this line (including McClure) intact. We do however need to add some depth via the draft or free-agency.

Boley has done exactly what he's been asked to yet, just because he's not lighting up the stat sheet doesn't mean he's not playing very good football. We can't give him big money to do what he's doing, but he's making this defensive scheme that much more effective. But he needs to be brought back, Brooking shouldn't be a starter next season, if Nicholas could step up and take it from him now it would be beautiful. (Btw, Nicholas = this year's Boley, he was llined up as a DE more than once last week, it's cool to have a guy like that around. He keeps his mouth shut and gets used all over the field.

Clabo has been our best offensive lineman for 3 years now, we have to keep him here. Dahl has been a big boost to the offensive line, and with Blalock and Baker...yes...that's a great OL, all need to be kept if at all possible.

DT Jonathan Babineaux, OLB Michael Boley, OLB Keith Brooking*, DE Chauncey Davis, CB Domonique Foxworth, DT Grady Jackson, WR Michael Jenkins*, P Michael Koenen, SS Lawyer Milloy, TE Justin Peelle

Those guys all need to be retained. No if ands or buts about any of them. Of course only 1 of those guys will demand much of a contract, being Boley, other than that those should be our 'FA pickups' this offseason. There isn't a huge market out there, and with Foxy stepping up that means we don't need to look to blow a load on a guy like Gamble (who I really like) we can hold on to those guys, build another good draft class, and then let them hand the reigns over at some point during next season when the young guns we draft are ready to step into the lineup. But we can't lose that many vets, and that many key pieces all at once. People will say we can let Davis walk, but I'd rather keep him and cut Beer-man if we can find another rookie DE to step up into that place. Davis gives us a great backup for Jamaal, a guy who can hold the point of attack, but he still gets a moderate pass rush as well, he's capable at both DE positions and has really made himself a staple in this DE lineup. If we lose him we let our #3 DE go, and we'd have to move DE up to a major Priority. Can't let that cat go.

I think Keith would accept basically a retirement contract for a few years at a low price so he can retire a Falcon and give us more cap room to sign guys.

I agree. Brooking seems like the type of guy that would take a hometown discount to help his team get better players.

I'm all in favor of keeping this line (including McClure) intact. We do however need to add some depth via the draft or free-agency.

I agree. With have no depth whatsoever on the OL.

One more thing. I don't think many people realize how important Michael Koenen is because he doesn't get talked about. A number of his kickoffs are touchbacks and he is one of the best at killing the ball inside the 20 and pinning the opposing team deep. He really needs to be kept.

Out of those guys, I really want to see us re-sign the following: Babs, MJ, Boley, Chauncey, Dominique, Gravy, Koenen, Peelle, Tyson, and Harvey.

I'd be perfectly fine with letting the rest of them go. It'd be nice to retain Coy, too, and re-signing Roddy is a must.

The only reason I left Lawyer's name out is because Antoine Harris is looking great and Erik Coleman can continue tutoring young safeties.

Although (and this is an amazing feeling to have) I feel like whatever TD does will be best. I mean...we have the money/cap space required to sign every single one of these guys long term and sign another big name FA, but I know that TD won't spend it foolishly.

I love having such an amazing GM.