Falcons rookie Baker continues rehab after back surgery

Born-a-Falcon

Falcons rookie Baker continues rehab after back surgery

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, November 10, 2008

Flowery Branch — Falcons left tackle Sam Baker, who had back surgery nearly two weeks ago, will not be ready to play this week against Denver.

“He will continue to rehab and I think over the next seven to 10 days we’ll have a better idea of how that rehab is going,” Falcons head coach Mike Smith said Monday. “As we mentioned earlier, he’s very limited in terms of what he is doing in terms of his rehabilitation.”

There were no serious injuries suffered in Sunday’s game against New Orleans. However, defensive end John Abraham left the field a couple of times after getting kicked in the head and suffering a stinger in his left shoulder.

“John got knocked around a couple of times, but I think there is not going to be any issue,” Smith said.

Clock management

The Falcons played keep-away from the Saints in the third quarter Sunday.

“We went in at halftime and felt like we had to control the clock in the third quarter,” Smith said. “I thought it was very dominant performance by our offense. We controlled the clock for approximately 12 minutes, I think 11:36 and the defense held the Saints in that third quarter to 22 yards of offense.”

No sacks on Ryan

The offensive line didn’t give up a sack of quarterback Matt Ryan for the fourth game this season.

After giving up 47 sacks last season, the unit has allowed just 12 sacks this season. They are on pace to give up 21 sacks, more than a 50 percent reduction.

Foxworth ready

Cornerback Domonique Foxworth was acquired from Denver before the start of the season. He’s set to face his old team this week and is coming off his best game of the season.

“By our coaches stats, he had five PBUs [pass break ups],” Smith said. “Domonique is by far our fastest defensive back. … He’s had two solid games since he stepped in as a starter.”

Place-kicker Jason Elam will face his old team after playing 15 seasons with the Broncos. He signed with the Falcons as a free agent this summer. Denver place-kicker Matt Prater will also get the face the Falcons. Prater was waived by the Falcons last season after missing two field goals in Week 2. Prater’s failure caused the Falcons to bring Morten Andersen out of retirement.

Victory Monday

Smith gave the players Monday off for the win over the Saints, but some of them came to work anyway.

“On a day off we had 40 of our players in today,” Smith said. “Again, I think that speaks volumes of where our football team is to have 40 to come in and work out on a day off.”

Victory Monday

Smith gave the players Monday off for the win over the Saints, but some of them came to work anyway.

“On a day off we had 40 of our players in today,” Smith said. “Again, I think that speaks volumes of where our football team is to have 40 to come in and work out on a day off.”

Look at the dedication, folks! That's a prime example of the winning attitude that TD and Coach Smitty wants to instill in our team.

I think I'm going to cry...

I bet a lot of the defensive players came in, because of the final touchdown left a bad taste in their mouths. They did so well throughout the game, holding to 13 pts and then have the game end on opponents score, just wouldn't go down well. It is likely the defense will try to take it out on Denver, so they might have a stellar game against them.

i love it. the question i have is who are the players that took it off. do you think it was more vets that took it off, or some of the special teamers that know they are only special teamers

Yeah, well maybe that's why they are only special teamers. It's been said that very little separates the best from the worst in this league physically. It's desire that makes greatness.

this team will be very good for a long time. the guys WANT to come to work. 40 players is **** near the whole roster, thats CRAZY. they want to win and want to do well. no matter what our record is at the end of the season i know our guys will have put their all into, which will make me proud of this team. thats ****ing amazing.

i love it. the question i have is who are the players that took it off. do you think it was more vets that took it off, or some of the special teamers that know they are only special teamers

I would bet it was the players that were nicked up. Abraham got a bit nicked up. Turner was pounding the ball, he could use the rest. Weiner needs a day off since he can't finish a game. I am amazed 40 players went in for a workout. I would expect more than 13 players feeling they could use a rest at this point in the season. I'm betting Grady Jackson, Michael Turner, John Abraham, Weiner, Norwood (67 yard sprint wore him out), and a few others that got a lot of rep's, especially on the OL (we had the ball for most of the game so they all got a lot of work in).