Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unknøwn

Peavy concerned about Braves

7 posts in this topic

Over the past couple of weeks, Jake Peavy has told friends that he's intrigued about the possibility of pitching in Atlanta and concerned about the Braves chances to win. Now through his agent, he's publicly voiced his concern about approving a trade to Atlanta, if it means the Braves have to give up shortstop Yunel Escobar.

"Escobar's a pretty good player," Peavy's agent Barry Axelrod told The San Diego Union-Tribune. "To be honest, Jake and I have said, 'If that kind of trade gets made, who plays short for them?'"

This is a legitimate question as the Braves would almost certainly have to go outside their organization to find a replacement. But if they include Escobar in this deal for Peavy, they would likely pursue two of their former employees, Rafael Furcal or Edgar Renteria, on the free agent market. In addition, they could make a push toward acquiring Jack Wilson or Julio Lugo via trade.

If Peavy approves a trade to the Braves, Atlanta could become an even more desirable destination for free agents like A.J. Burnett, Derek Lowe and Ryan Dempster. Braves GM Frank Wren would like nothing more than to acquire Peavy and also sign one of these free agent starters.

Link

Why is he really concerned about the SS position? The Braves obviously feel comfortable giving up Escobar, so they must feel that they have a suitable replacement, or as the article suggests, will pursue Furcal or Renteria. BTW, I would love to see Furcal back on this team. Renteria, too, but he has lost a lot of range at SS.

The Braves really need to get this trade done. I'm going to be pretty devastated if Peavy goes elsewhere. It's not everyday that a Cy Young-winning pitcher who's only 27 becomes available for a package that is actually reasonable.

If we get Peavy and Ludwick in trades we would have more than enough money to throw at Furcal. But I would be shocked to see Furcal leave the Dodgers.

It looks like we'll have to give up Yunel in any Peavy trade, and the Ludwick deal was supposed to be for KJ. Wren said we won't be trading both of those guys. So as much as I'd love to see both of those guys join the Braves, it looks highly doubtful. Peavy is the first-priority, though.

It looks like we'll have to give up Yunel in any Peavy trade, and the Ludwick deal was supposed to be for KJ. Wren said we won't be trading both of those guys. So as much as I'd love to see both of those guys join the Braves, it looks highly doubtful. Peavy is the first-priority, though.

But he didn't rule out trading someone else for Ludwick. Peavy is more important but we have a boat load of middle infielders and the Cardinals have a need. Lillibridge or Prado and a couple of pitchers or something could be enough to get Ludwick. The Cardinals are reportedly trying to sell high on Ludwick believing that he will never come close to having another year close to that. Plus the fact they have a ton of outfielders.

Why is he really concerned about the SS position? The Braves obviously feel comfortable giving up Escobar, so they must feel that they have a suitable replacement, or as the article suggests, will pursue Furcal or Renteria. BTW, I would love to see Furcal back on this team. Renteria, too, but he has lost a lot of range at SS.

The Braves really need to get this trade done. I'm going to be pretty devastated if Peavy goes elsewhere. It's not everyday that a Cy Young-winning pitcher who's only 27 becomes available for a package that is actually reasonable.

I don't blame him about wanting to have reliable defense behind him. It's not an unreasonable request or concern in the least. Having weak defense, especially up the middle, can cost you runs and the game. We both know that a strength of a team is up the middle, and that defense is the pitcher's best friend.

I don't see Furcal coming here IMO. Now Renty is a different story. He has siad he would like to finish his career here. I'd take him in a heartbeat, true, he has lost some range, but he's still better then 95% of the SS's out there .

Agreed.