Sources: Fulmer agrees to step down as Vols coach

By Chris Low

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: November 3, 2008, 11:00 AM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Phillip Fulmer, who a decade ago brought Tennessee its first national championship in 47 years, will not return as the Vols' coach next year, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

An announcement is being planned for later Monday at Neyland Stadium. The Vols (3-6, 1-5 SEC) have lost four straight games and are in danger of suffering their second losing season in the last four years.

Fulmer, who's won 150 games at his alma mater and is the dean of SEC coaches, met with Tennessee officials Monday morning, and they reached a mutual agreement that it would be best for all parties if Fulmer was not back next season.

There had been increasing scrutiny on Fulmer, who took over full time as head coach in 1993 and has been at his alma mater as a player, assistant coach and head coach for more than 30 years.

The Vols won the national title in 1998 and were one of the top programs in all of college football in the 1990s, but the program hasn't been the same this decade. They've lost 31 games since the end of the 2001 season.

Chris Low covers the SEC for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810

I saw this on ESPN Breaking News as well. Honestly, I'm not surprised. Tennessee has been consistently underperforming the last few years. It was time for a change in Knoxville and I think a fresh approach is needed.

So, UT and SEC Fans, who do you think are the leading candidates to take over?

Joseph Rice would be a good candidate. He's a good coach

No way he loves it at TT

That isn't what everyone else is saying. TT didn't give him the extension he wanted before the season, and TT will always be at least 3rd in line in Texas (maybe further considering Oklahoma and LSU do well there). Have you ever been to Lubbock? If you think Clemson or Auburn is remote, Lubbock is even worse. It's hot, dusty, flat, and boring.

That isn't what everyone else is saying. TT didn't give him the extension he wanted before the season, and TT will always be at least 3rd in line in Texas (maybe further considering Oklahoma and LSU do well there). Have you ever been to Lubbock? If you think Clemson or Auburn is remote, Lubbock is even worse. It's hot, dusty, flat, and boring.

who thinks clemson is remote? ifs right off 85??

It's a sad day, but it was time for him to go. He's my favorite coach regardless of sport, and I am very grateful for everything he did for us.

He did get you guys a title...nobody can ever take that from you.

I guess I would kind of say Georgia's re-emergence as a solid team hurt part of Fulmer's recruiting base in the state...but even with losing Cutcliffe I'm kind of at a loss as to what happened the past few years.

Clemumo, some news for you...I just heard Muschamp prefers Clemson over any other open job.

Wow, it was just reported by Clay Travis in Birmingham that Jon Gruden is the #1 option and he's interested. I'd love that. Not sure how realistic it is.

Realistically, here's how I see the options:

1. Lane Kiffin

2. Tim Brewster, HC Minnesota

3. Chris Petersen, HC Boise State

4. Mike Leach, HC Texas Tech

Gruden would be my #1 above any of those.

Clemumo, some news for you...I just heard Muschamp prefers Clemson over any other open job.

That news would give the posters over at TigersIllustrated.com a huge boner. I like Muschamp, but a lot of them over there might jump off a building if we don't get him. Muschamp could do no wrong over there. I guess ten years of Tommy Bowden's deer in the headlights look on the sidelines does that.

Wow, it was just reported by Clay Travis in Birmingham that Jon Gruden is the #1 option and he's interested. I'd love that. Not sure how realistic it is.

Realistically, here's how I see the options:

1. Lane Kiffin

2. Tim Brewster, HC Minnesota

3. Chris Petersen, HC Boise State

4. Mike Leach, HC Texas Tech

Gruden would be my #1 above any of those.

Gruden would be interesting, but IMO, the best man for the job is sitting at No 3 on your list...he's No 1 on mine, and has been there for a couple of seasons now. I'll take Chris Peterson over ANYONE at UT. I think he'd be willing to leave Boise State because that school is never going to get NC consideration, and I believe that if you take his skills and ability as a HC, and bring him to a big time program, the recruits will pour in to play for him. I'd love to see what he could do against coaches like Richt, Meyer, Saban, and Miles... :D

Gruden would be interesting, but IMO, the best man for the job is sitting at No 3 on your list...he's No 1 on mine, and has been there for a couple of seasons now. I'll take Chris Peterson over ANYONE at UT. I think he'd be willing to leave Boise State because that school is never going to get NC consideration, and I believe that if you take his skills and ability as a HC, and bring him to a big time program, the recruits will pour in to play for him. I'd love to see what he could do against coaches like Richt, Meyer, Saban, and Miles... :D

I think Peterson is the best choice as well.

I think Peterson is the best choice as well.

Only problem is that he's a scientologist. Not too many mamma's are gonna be happy about sending their baby boys to play for a coach that doesn't at least say he's a Christian...I know that sounds ridiculous, but I guarantee you that would be a problem here in the south.

Only problem is that he's a scientologist. Not too many mamma's are gonna be happy about sending their baby boys to play for a coach that doesn't at least say he's a Christian...I know that sounds ridiculous, but I guarantee you that would be a problem here in the south.

But tell the mamas that they can meet Tom Cruise and John Travolta!

I didn't know that. So he's a loon like Tom Cruise.

I see what you're saying, especially here in the Bible belt.