Dawg fans (or other fans) I gotta pose the question:

slamee101

Will Georgia win/get to a National title game?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Can Richt get Georgia a NC?

• Yes
    • No

I'll try to be short:

The loss to Florida just brings me back to my thoughts on this team/staff that I have had in previous years...we're good...but just not good enough. I'm not saying this to take anything away from the Gators...clearly a better team and they deserved it. I'm not saying this as a shot at Coach Richt...once again I love the guy and I think he's a good coach and a better human being. That said, I once again saw a team with a ton of talent go into a big game and were seemingly not even ready to play! I know some of you will have several excuses as to why we lost the way we did in Jacksonville yesterday but the reality is: THE INJURIES TO STURDIVANT AND OWENS ARE NOT WHY WE LOST YESTERDAY...THE YOUNG OFFENSIVE LINE IS NOT WHY WE LOST YESTERDAY...WE LOST B/C WE WEREN'T PLAYING TO WIN! I'm sorry, but nobody is going to tell me that with the talent we've got (AJ Green, MoMass, Knowshon, Stafford) that there was any excuse for us to not get in the end zone before they had put up 49 POINTS on us and we had our backup QB in. Of course part of this comes from the players not being ready, but I believe that leadership comes from the top when you're talking about college kids. It's no coincidence that Saban has Bama where they are right now in year two or that Meyer has Florida where they are right now b/c Shula and Zook had the talent at those programs as well.

It's not that we're catching bad brakes...we just don't have what it takes to put together a complete season. We're guaranteed the missteps that will cost us. Whether it's blowing it in Knoxville last year, Jacksonville this year, Jacksonville in '02, etc. I know that this staff can do no wrong in some of your eyes and I respect that, but when Bama or Florida is in the NC this year (the Texas loss has opened the door...Texas Tech will probably lose to either Oklahoma State or OU and I can't see a 1-loss Florida or undefeated Bama getting shutout of the big game) just realize that it's not a coincidence or "good luck" that coaches like Saban, Meyer, or even Les MIles put their teams in these positions. It's getting the most out of your players.

When I look at Richt, I'm strangely reminded of Mora...a good coach with the potential to be great...but probably just to nice. Bobo...needs to go! Mark my words though he won't. Martinez has been up and down since he replaced Van Gorder...but I'm gonna lay off of him b/c I don't think he called a bad game yesterday.

Just remember when we look up in 3 to 4 years...and we've got a few more 10 win seasons...but no title while some other SEC programs are playing for it all...it's not because we're catching bad brakes...it's because we're underachieving.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO,

There are a bunch of coaches in the NCAA that can get to 10 wins in a season but not many coaches that can prepare a team for a big games such as yesterday. Please understand I don't know which Coach Richt is. Look at Jim Tressel and I will throw Lloyd Carr out there also, great coaches that can coach teams to 10 win season like no one else but when it comes down to the big games these coaches don't fair as well with a few exception here and there obviously. You take a coach like Saban, Miles, and Carroll these coaches are great at preparing there teams for big games and you can even through Meyer into that conversation. It takes a real good coach to have a team prepared for a Big Game, just look at those coaches resume's.

Now can Coach Mark Richt win a National Title at UGA, if he finds a way to prepare his team for the Big Games when the entire country is watching and not just the games UGA is suppose to win.

Right now I'd say no. Richt's teams lack the focus and desire to really go out a put a hurting on someone. We play not to lose instead of playing to win and that team yesterday quit on the coaches in the second half. There's no excuse for that. NONE. Especially with so much on the line.

I think Richt can do it. It takes so much to go right to get a shot at a national title that it's hard to blame him for not having one yet. Granted, we blew a very good shot at it this year. I think the goal every year should be to win the SEC and if things go right and you get a shot at a national title, great. If not, oh well. We've won the SEC twice and I think that's pretty good considering the kind of competition this conference presents. Richt is still on pace to be the winningest coach in UGA history and I still have complete faith in him to bring a NC to Athens.

I hate to remind u but we do have the all time lead in the series. Its not like we cant beat u. u beat us yesterday plain and simple. tht does not mean u are the dynast of the SEC east for years to come.

16 out of the last 19...how many years are you willing to let a coach hang around that can't win in Jacksonville?

16 out of the last 19...how many years are you willing to let a coach hang around that can't win in Jacksonville?

oh please.. uf is 2 and 3 the last 5.. uga gets a bye week before next year's game and could very well win that to go 3 and 3 in the past 6. uga can and will win against uf and it could be next season..

Richt's loyalty to questionable play callers...and a ridiculous rash of injuries...did not help us this season.

That being said, our defense is not where it should be, and we have difficulty getting to the QB/having a corner outside of Allen...yes these are particularly the defensive coordinators fault, but Richt coordinates everything and shouldnt be allowing this to continue.

I am sure he has been working diligently to have the problems rectified, but they arent...and thats on him to a large extent.

Is he one of the best recruiters/team coaches? Absolutely. Will he get us a NC? I think so, if he can get those problems rectified.

He will get his NC. It took Tom Osbourne 2 decades to get his and he won 3 in 4 years. Tom also ended up with a losing bowl record. Richt is on the right course and UGA is recruiting very well.

Sac, you know I respect your views as much as anyone as you live and breathe UGA. Honestly though, should it take 2 decades for us? I mean, with the talent and opportunities we've had come through I just don't think it should. (Not saying that is what you were saying...you were just giving an example). I just can't help but look at what has happened in our conference since Richt got there and the talent that we've had. I think it wouldn't be such a hard pill to swallow had we not gotten killed yesterday and the 2 teams we lost to this year IMO will be playing for a right to play in the NC on 12/6 just compounds it. We come in so ill-prepared for big games but b/c we still have good seasons overall...I think that most are content to say there is not something wrong with the situation.

UGA can't win the title the only people who think they can is the UGA fan base. I put Richt in the same boat as Tommy Bowden :D Nah to be honest though it will be tough if he didn't get it this year. You got LSU Tenn FLA Bama Aurburn the chances of every one of those teams to have a down year at the same time is not likely to happen.

Yes. But he needs to stop making stupid calls. The onside kick was a stupid call. Down by 4, and you give the Gators the ball and a short field? Made no sense. They had some breaks go against them that totally killed their spirits, and until they become a team that can play through adversity, they won't be a NC caliber team.

And I'll be the first to say Stafford was exposed yesterday. A pro QB he is not, YET.

Yes. But he needs to stop making stupid calls. The onside kick was a stupid call. Down by 4, and you give the Gators the ball and a short field? Made no sense. They had some breaks go against them that totally killed their spirits, and until they become a team that can play through adversity, they won't be a NC caliber team.

And I'll be the first to say Stafford was exposed yesterday. A pro QB he is not, YET.

I don't think Stafford was as bad as the final line looks. The pick he threw that set them up to go up 21-3 was bad...but middle of the 3rd quarter...still had a shot. His 2nd INT came when we were down by 32 POINTS!?!?! I know some might disagree...but I can't be mad at kids pressing when they're down by 4 TDs.

good point. im not saying fire Richt but someone has to pay for these St. John's River Massacres that we seem to experience every year. Both coordinators must go.

good point. im not saying fire Richt but someone has to pay for these St. John's River Massacres that we seem to experience every year. Both coordinators must go.

It'd be crazy to fire Richt right now...nobody can argue with that and I hope that's not what folks think I'm saying. That said, I just don't see it happening for us unless SOMETHING changes. Whether it be the coordinators, Richts' coaching philosophy...something.

No college QB is a pro QB right now. He's the most capable, though.

Vern made the comment yesterday that this was a game with 2 pro qbs playing college ball. I disagree. Tebow isn't ever going to be a pro qb. He's a **** of an athlete, but not a pro qb. Stafford has all the tools but lacks mental toughness.

Ritch can't win the NC this year. Next year we will have a really good chance. If Matt and Knowshon come back for one more year, imagine UGA then.

We have 2 key players back with some really good addition from the recruiting class. Wooten, Lynch (will really help the TE position), Toby Jackson (great addition at DE, can possibly start right away), Abry Jones (also a big addition to the Dline). We also get LT Trinton Sturdivant and possibly DT Jeff Owens back.

With that being say, Ritch need to get rid of Coach Martinez. Bring in a new DC. Also change the players attitude, we are not playing with the same intensity like last year.