Is our running game in trouble?

Ice74

We have not run well at all against a decent defense

outside of the 3 bloated games, Turner hasnt rushed for more than 58 yards in a game, and hes had plenty of carries in all those games

Is it the play calling, O-line, Turner, the opposing teams defense

It looks like we got no push yesterday at all.

I noticed yesterday... that we kept trying to run to the A gaps with no success, there were no cutbacks... except one play that he broke open, and that when we ran around the edges, or pulled the guards we had some room, but Mularkey kept calling up the middle, up the middle

and I'm tired of those reverses, they dont work against aggresive, smart defenses

We have not run well at all against a decent defense

outside of the 3 bloated games, Turner hasnt rushed for more than 58 yards in a game, and hes had plenty of carries in all those games

Is it the play calling, O-line, Turner, the opposing teams defense

It looks like we got no push yesterday at all.

I noticed yesterday... that we kept trying to run to the A gaps with no success, there were no cutbacks... except one play that he broke open, and that when we ran around the edges, or pulled the guards we had some room, but Mularkey kept calling up the middle, up the middle

and I'm tired of those reverses, they dont work against aggresive, smart defenses

Have we ever had a reverse really work?? lol. I'm not worried about the run game but I could stand to see more cutbacks and runs to the outside.

Since most of our power runs came either to the middle or to the left, and we were missing our starting LT for the game (and had the backup go down too), I think that's at least part of the reason. I haven't heard a convincing explanation yet of why we would choose to run behind a banged-up left side of the line and not a healthy right side, but I guess that's why I'm not the coach...

The lack of a running game just shows are Oline is not as good as we thought. The group as a whole is a lot better than a lot of people were predicting and there is a noticable improvement when Baker is playing.

Even though our pass blocking has been pretty good we are not winning in the trenches on running plays. Most running plays we have at least one lineman getting pushed backwards. We have to get an up grade this offseason. A big run blocking guard or RT, or both would be nice.

our o line isn't what we thought they were.. they can pass block but when it comes to run blocking especially against the better defenses in the league they're sub par.

quoted for truth.

they're really good at pass blocking (only 10 sacks all year and 6 came from when we didnt have baker) but the run blocking is poor. turner has to fight just to get beyond the LOS when he gets the ball.

The one nice run, the sweep with McClure and Blaylock leading Turner is an example of

how we can run the ball. The straight ahead body lean, run up the back of your blockers

technique seems to be good for about minus 1 to 4 yds. That is the play that needs push

and we don't seem to get the kind of push that can break it up the middle.

If Mughelli is in the game, the linebackers will flow toward him, assuming the ball is going

that way. This opens up opportunities to cut back and pick up nice yardage. If the lb's

don't flow toward him, he will take out the lb in that area and we pick up nice yardage

that way. More power and less trickery is needed.