Suggested Change To Instant Replay Challenge

First post, so be gentle.

Given that the blown call cost the Falcons an opportunity to win the game and completely undermined the spirit of the replay challenge (to get the call right), what does everyone think of this idea.

If a team has no time-outs left, but has not used up all of their replay challenges, the team can choose to challenge anyway and if the challenge does not overturn the ruling on the field, that team suffers a 15 yard penalty.

I think that would be completely fair. Smith made the right call to use our last time-out. How could he have known the ref's would completely screw us out of being 5-2. If this option were in the rule book, the ref's would have had the opportunity to get the call right.

Oh.....and cut Adam Jennings! He should have stayed a million miles away from that punt.

Not a bad idea, but yeah, doubt it would ever happen. They need to do what college does and have every play be checked in the booth and then decide if it should be reviewed. The college game is no slower than the NFL game, so what's the problem?

I know! How can the college review system actually end up better than the pros in one way? I didn't think it was possible.

Given that the blown call cost the Falcons an opportunity to win the game and completely undermined the spirit of the replay challenge (to get the call right), what does everyone think of this idea.

If a team has no time-outs left, but has not used up all of their replay challenges, the team can choose to challenge anyway and if the challenge does not overturn the ruling on the field, that team suffers a 15 yard penalty.

I think that would be completely fair. Smith made the right call to use our last time-out. How could he have known the ref's would completely screw us out of being 5-2. If this option were in the rule book, the ref's would have had the opportunity to get the call right.

Oh.....and cut Adam Jennings! He should have stayed a million miles away from that punt.

I was thinking the same thing, institute a delay of game penalty of 15 yards for a denied challenge. That would definitely deter bad challenges/.I also firmly believe that the officals in the booth should be able to review any questionable call. There needs to be more accountability for those in the black and white. Like I've said before: Lawyer will get fined, Grady will be suspended, and nothing will happen to the ref.

Not a bad idea, but yeah, doubt it would ever happen. They need to do what college does and have every play be checked in the booth and then decide if it should be reviewed. The college game is no slower than the NFL game, so what's the problem?

I completely agree with that, the call yesterday after just watching it a second time you could tell he didn't touch it... I just think its wrong for them to be THAT wrong on such a game deciding call.

I like it and agree... CUT JENNINGS!

add a green dot to the hat of the head ref. Have a person designated for reviewing any play that warrants a call and call the results into the head ref. Before we got the offical call, we saw about 4 different angles. If Fox can do that, why can't the NFL?

I was thinking the exact same thing after reading Coach Smiths answer regarding that incident. There is already a penalty installed for throwing the red flag with no TO left - 15 yards. So why not allow the challenge and if it the ruling on the field stands, then give the team a 15 yard penalty - if it is reversed, then no penalty. Keep the timeout cost as long as the team has them.

It sounds like the perfect solution to me.

I'm sure there will be taken a good hard long look at the refs and the review options after the huge impact they have had this year so far. I cannot remember that last season had this many games where the refs were a third team in the game