New Walter's Mock

KRUNKuno

Below is an e-mail I send to WalterFootball.com........I really like their website and always appreciate the constant updates of the mock draft - they really do a good job. Having said that, they totally "ripped to shreds" the Atlanta Falcons 2008 NFL draft - as you can see below. I sent Walter/Matt the following in an e-mail - thought you guys migh appreciate :rolleyes:

Let’s review your analysis of the Atlanta Falcons 2008 Draft

2008 NFL Draft Picks:

3. Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

Ugh, where do I begin? Matt Ryan is not a top-five prospect. You don't take a quarterback when you have nothing on your offensive line (see David Carr for a reason.) Atlanta could have obtained Brian Brohm or Chad Henne atop Round 2. Ryan failed to complete 60 percent of his passes last year. He tossed 19 picks. The entire reason he was the No. 1 quarterback prospect was the final two minutes against Virginia Tech. Well, Ryan was horrendous for the other 58 minutes, and as a kicker, he lost to the Hokies in the ACC Championship! Ryan would have been the No. 4 quarterback in 2006. The Falcons reached. (Pick Grade: D)

my response:

Would you be interested in revising your draft grades, there? Matt Ryan is the favorite to be rookie of the year right now. He is showing the look of a 3rd year veteran with total command of the offense – constantly audibling at line of scrimmage, winning record at 4-2, every veteran on Falcons roster believes in him, no sacks for the entire year on being blitzed – Ryan has been blitzed over 50 times………I would say you “missed” on that one Matt/Walt

21. Sam Baker, OT, USC

The Falcons traded up for Sam Baker? Why? They probably could have obtained him in the second round. If not, then Carl Nicks or Anthony Collins. There was no reason for the Falcons to make this move. (Pick Grade: F)

my response:

Another “HUGE” miss for the Walt/Matt group. You gave the Falcons an “F” on this pick……..Sam Baker is playing better than any other offensive tackle in this draft – including playing better than the #1 overall pick in Jake Long. Through 5 starts and games, Sam Baker has yielded ½ a sack. He is blocking great in the run game and is a stone wall in the passing game. The Falcons moved up from #34 to #21 to get him – basically gave up #34 and #47 to get #21 and a 3rd round pick – a few other picks in deal but that was the meat of the trade. Sam Baker would not have made it to #34 – Dimitroff even said after the draft, “ideally, we would have gotten Sam in 2nd round but offensive tackles were flying off the board too fast. Either Houston or Green Bay could have grabbed Sam……..Anyway, you guys missed badly on those draft grades.

I like your website and appreciate the constant updates on the mocks……..in all fairness, I understood some of your concerns……but I had full faith in Thomas Dimitroff – he is a smart GM and knows what he is doing. Curtis Lofton was also a great pick and you guys gave that one an “A” – so kudos there. Of the rest of the Falcons picks, as of right now, Harry Douglas looks great as a #3 WR and Chevis Jackson and Kroy Bierman are also playing well…..

Anyway, don’t get mad at me about this – just thought it was interesting – none of us are 100% right on picks…

Myron Rolle is second round talent big reach there, Still not sold on Vince yet but I can live with a DT in round 2, We do not need another WR yet but maybe we could spen a third rounder if laurent keeps getting injured.

My Grade of his mock D

:lol::lol: good one FalconFan-Around........My grade of his mock is an "F" - he badly missed on our top 2 players.......even though many on this falcons messageboard(including yours truly) at one point wanted Glen Dorsey - not many people on the board - even the ones who did not like the pick back in April - thought Ryan was a "D" and Baker was an "F"

just a horrible job by WalterFootball on Matt Ryan and Sam Baker - a total hatchet job <_<

Rolle is a fine talent, but he may not even go into this draft. He is very serious about Medical School.

yeah, as much as Myron Rolle being a "great student" says great things about the guy from an intangibles and smarts aspect - the fact that Rolle could have a six-seven figure income in another profession would scare me a bit from drafting the guy high........you could draft him and he could drop out of football in 2-3 years.......too big a risk unless you get personal assurances...

im not a fan of tha mock either. Rolle is okay, but Maclin goin later would have me pulling my hair out. and i've yet to see anything intriguing about oghobaase except size. Kenny Britt i could live with, but he should stay in school another year. doubt it tho, as Rutgers doesnt look like they're gonna get any better.

yeah, as much as Myron Rolle being a "great student" says great things about the guy from an intangibles and smarts aspect - the fact that Rolle could have a six-seven figure income in another profession would scare me a bit from drafting the guy high........you could draft him and he could drop out of football in 2-3 years.......too big a risk unless you get personal assurances...

To clarify, docs make six figures.....and they work long hours to make it. If a doc is making seven figures, he is bending rules (or selling botox).....if you know what I mean. Gone are the days of high salaries and golf on Wednesdays.

Still, If Rolle has the MD bug, it would be wise to avoid drafting him.

they have a cool looking site, but the info on the draft is bogus at best. Way too subjective and its almost like they really don't watch the players they pick/pan. Ryan for example--maybe you don't like him, but he was in a pro style offense in college threw 654 times (way too much) and still had sucess. He was definitely a top 5-10 guy. Most fans on here wanted Dorsey if they didn't want Ryan--that was understandable as Dorsey was a top 10 type player as well.

Also note his Baker analysis. In Bakers Junior year everyone including Walter had Baker as a top 5 to 10 LT. Suddenly he sucks? Yeah he wasn't a "power" guy--which we are seeing as not true--but he had great feet, smarts and techniques at a top collegiate program--all the makings of an elite LT.