Another reason to love Mike Mularkey - famous quote in Falcons history

g-dawg

Peter King on Falcons Formulation of decision to take Matt Ryan - old article relived

On March 26 a contingent of Falcons decision-makers that included Dimitroff, coach Mike Smith, offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave boarded Blank's private jet and began an eight-day, six-city trip to evaluate the six quarterbacks they rated highest in the draft: from Josh Johnson at San Diego, to John David Booty at USC, to Henne at Michigan, to Flacco at Delaware, to Ryan at Boston College, to Brian Brohm at Louisville. The Falcons evaluators liked Henne's grit, leadership and ability, but he was ranked second to Ryan, the passer nicknamed "Matty Ice" in high school for the ice water that seemingly ran through his veins in tight situations. In college, the name stuck.

Before the trip Dimitroff thought Dorsey, the LSU pass rusher, was the best player in the draft. But Ryan's workout in Chestnut Hill, Mass., and a three-hour dinner-interrogation started to change that thinking. At the restaurant Dimitroff tested the quarterback's loyalty to his teammates when he noted that Ryan's receivers had dropped some 50 passes last season. He asked if Ryan thought he'd have been a better passer with more talented wideouts. Ryan told the Falcons' group he'd take those guys any day of the week. "Perfect," Mularkey said later. "He could have killed them, but he was a great teammate."

Then in a 50-minute session using the whiteboard in the BC football meeting room, the coaches briefed Ryan on the offense Atlanta will run next season, explaining tendencies and playcalls. Musgrave drew a formation with motion, then gave the marker to Ryan. Mularkey would call out a play, and Ryan would have to show the route tree for his receivers and the progression of his reads. Ryan did so well -- better by far than the other five quarterbacks, Mularkey said later -- that the coordinator began throwing out more plays. For the final one, Mularkey described an option route with four receivers and quarterback movement, a play that sounded to Ryan like one BC ran called 335 Naked. Ryan rattled off the assignments of the four receivers and his progression -- how he'd look to the tight end first, slot receiver second and wideouts third and fourth.

"It wasn't just that he got it right," said Mularkey. "It's that he got it right fast, which is so important in this game. You've got to process information. We limit the terminology in our offense. We want it to be quick and up-tempo, and for the quarterback, intelligence is vital."

When the Falcons left Chestnut Hill for the airport, Mularkey turned to Dimitroff.

"I'd take him at three," Mularkey said

Go back to the draft talk this spring and see all the harrington comparisons.How he didntwant to come to atlanta.He s a int machine with a noodle arm.Redman is a starter.Did you see how good redman looked in the loss to stl?Think about it.2nd worst team in the league.Boy redman looked good in the loss to stl.

Go back to the draft talk this spring and see all the harrington comparisons.How he didntwant to come to atlanta.He s a int machine with a noodle arm.Redman is a starter.Did you see how good redman looked in the loss to stl?Think about it.2nd worst team in the league.Boy redman looked good in the loss to stl.

not sure what your point is Big Duke 6.......its been "well documented" that most of us on this board did not want Matt Ryan - pre-draft......I have admitted as much myself......However, being the positive person I try to be - I embraced the pick once it was made - even started getting excited about the possibility of Matt Ryan about 48 hours prior to draft when it started looking inevitable that we were leaning that way.

I had put my trust in Dimitroff before the draft and felt he was going to make the right call - but I will admit I was very "anti-Ryan" for a long time. Now I'm probably his biggest fan........the main thing is we support our team though - I did so even when Dan Reeves was selecting Reggie Kelly, Devin Bush, Michael Booker, Bryan Scott, TJ Duckett, Will Overstreetetc, Travis Claridge, Johndale Carty, Jammi German, Nathan Davis, etc.......that was an ugly part of Falcons draft history......

Ryan has to be the best QB Mularkey has had as an OC/HC...

no doubt....some of Mularkey's QBs that I can recall off the top of my head:

Kordell Stewart (Steelers)

Tommy Maddox (Steelers)

JP Losman (Bills)

Kelly Holcomb (Bills)

Joey Harrington (Dolphins)

Cleo Lemon (Dolphins)

Daunte Culpepper (Dolphins)

yeah, I would say that Matt Ryan is the "cream of that crop" - by a long shot! ;)

not sure what your point is Big Duke 6.......its been "well documented" that most of us on this board did not want Matt Ryan - pre-draft......I have admitted as much myself......However, being the positive person I try to be - I embraced the pick once it was made - even started getting excited about the possibility of Matt Ryan about 48 hours prior to draft when it started looking inevitable that we were leaning that way.

I had put my trust in Dimitroff before the draft and felt he was going to make the right call - but I will admit I was very "anti-Ryan" for a long time. Now I'm probably his biggest fan........the main thing is we support our team though - I did so even when Dan Reeves was selecting Reggie Kelly, Devin Bush, Michael Booker, Bryan Scott, TJ Duckett, Will Overstreetetc, Travis Claridge, Johndale Carty, Jammi German, Nathan Davis, etc.......that was an ugly part of Falcons draft history......

My point would be they didnt want ryan.Not that hard to figure.I thought they were going to take dorsey but I wanted ryan.Old news really but what bugs me is the people still saying blank made the pick..On 790 this week they said dimitroff has told them on and off the record stories of how he made the pick.He could of had other jobs this year or next and didnt leave to have a owner tell him who to pick.

My point would be they didnt want ryan.Not that hard to figure.I thought they were going to take dorsey but I wanted ryan.Old news really but what bugs me is the people still saying blank made the pick..On 790 this week they said dimitroff has told them on and off the record stories of how he made the pick.He could of had other jobs this year or next and didnt leave to have a owner tell him who to pick.

ok.....I guess I'm confused then - I thought you were one of the ones saying Arthur Blank influenced/pressured TD to make the pick.....if you did not say that, then I apologize.

It's been a LONG road to get us here.....

However, there is ONE thing that will unite us from now on....

And it's the belief ANYTHING can happen in 11 seconds...

And that's some spooky stuff!!!!!!

It'd be awesome if people were holding up signs saying "I'd take him at three" during home games from now on. :D

What about, "I'd take him at three too..." :D

But, excellent article...Dimitroff, Blank, Mularkey, whomever! It doesn't matter! Ryan's here and here to stay. Once we hired TD, I knew that he would help our franchise and when I heard rumors of us drafting Dorsey, I thought ok, we're establishing the defense first (since Smitty is a defensive mind), cool, but then when Ryan rumors began circulating, I thought, this could either make us or break us or Blank is just trying to get everybody's mind off Vick, but then the more I began reading Ryan's profile and watching some of his highlights and seeing that he has all these intangibles (the comparison to Peyton Manning did it), I began getting excited about the idea...and now, I'm glad we got him.

you know how team's have their famous sayings - Raiders "Just Win Baby".....and others......

the Falcons should be.........."I'd take him at three" B)

(i know this sounds stupid - but I almost get chills every time I read that)

take him at 3 and be glad Dmitroff was lucky man at the 3 man coin flip. ;) Ryan could be at Kansas city or Baltimore if he didn't get that coin flip. I hope they have that quarter framed. :P

I too remember when the article first came out and nearly everyone on the message board (me included) went ballistic. Most wanted Dorsey, and only a handful wanted Ryan. TD really came through for us though with his first every pick. I'm so excited about the future of the whole team that I can hardly stand it. Picking Baker up was a major step in the right direction too for the offense.