2009 who do you keep?

That's a tough one. If we were to get rid of Milloy we could pick up Jermaine Phillips or Sean Jones to replace him. If we were to keep him I'd draft Otis Wiley in the later rounds. As for Brooking, he is the one i would rather get rid of but i think TD will have a tough time doing that. Without a doubt we have to draft a OLB this year, whether or not Nicholas can start. My pick would be Maurice Crum JR from Notre Dame.

That's a tough one. If we were to get rid of Milloy we could pick up Jermaine Phillips or Sean Jones to replace him. If we were to keep him I'd draft Otis Wiley in the later rounds. As for Brooking, he is the one i would rather get rid of but i think TD will have a tough time doing that. Without a doubt we have to draft a OLB this year, whether or not Nicholas can start. My pick would be Maurice Crum JR from Notre Dame.
Very good option if we do not want a rookie to play, but I think we take William Moore if he is there when we pick. Nicholas has been playing SLB for us a lot. I hope we sign Boley long term and plug Boley at WLB to replace Brooking. He is good in coverage and it would give a chance to make more plays. Nicholas would be good at SLB with his pass rushing abilities and one of best hitters we have.

JMO on Brooking, but it makes too much sense to keep him next year.

Either way, cut or keep, his salary is on the books. Keep him & we pay him, cut him and it's a cap hit for the same amount.

So, worst case, keep Brooking and let it be a legit battle for the starter position on the weak side. If he doesn't win the starting job, then he'll be a backup, and he's still pretty solid for a backup.

Either way, cut or keep, his salary is on the books. Keep him & we pay him, cut him and it's a cap hit for the same amount.

So, worst case, keep Brooking and let it be a legit battle for the starter position on the weak side. If he doesn't win the starting job, then he'll be a backup, and he's still pretty solid for a backup.

exactly. we've GOTTA keep brooking and we SHOULD keep milloy as well. milloy is our defensive leader out there. you dont just cut a player like him with so much youth on tha team already. plus he's playing like he's in his prime. we should find somebody who can bring tha same leadership, intensity, and playmaking ability. i dont see that with Phillips or Jones and would rather draft William Moore instead.

Same thing for me. It has become apparent that Keith Brooking is no longer the player he was several years ago. Maybe we could draft Aaron Curry out of Wake Forest as his replacement. That would give us one **** of a LB corp with Boley, Lofton, and Curry.

agreed. trade down to 20, get curry and 2 nd rounders..pick a S and ot....get a de in FA

Well I would give Brooking the option of restructiong his contract and adding maybe a year at a reduce rate of coarse or cutting him because by my last count he was in the top five for lbs in pay not play. Either way I believe we already have Brooking's replacement on roster now Nicholas and I am pretty sure we will draft a SS this year so they both maybe gone this offseason.

if we cut him the cap value is not the same. He has already been paid his bonus money. we will only be taking a hit for the cap money left prorated throughout the life of the contract. we will not have to take the hit for his yearly salary. that base salary is about 5 million and the bonus only 2.7.

5 mil would get us a younger better LB

if we cut him the cap value is not the same. He has already been paid his bonus money. we will only be taking a hit for the cap money left prorated throughout the life of the contract. we will not have to take the hit for his yearly salary. that base salary is about 5 million and the bonus only 2.7.

5 mil would get us a younger better LB

I'm not 100% sure on this, probably capologist would be the person to ask, but I'm almost positive that bonus money is prorated over the life of the contract MINUS the final year of the deal. In the final year, it is only base salary that is the cap hit. For example:

A player signs a 5 year deal with a 20 million dollar bonus and base salaries of 1 million per season all 5 years. The bonus is prorated over the first 4 years of the deal, at 5 million per season, and the last year of the deal, only the base salary counts. So years 1 - 4, the cap hit for the player is 6 million dollars, and in the last year it is only 1 million dollars.

Again, not positive, but I believe that is the way it works. Other circumstances could be something like a roster bonus, which is usually due around March 1st every year, that could raise his cap hit some more, and that is money we could save if we were to cut him, but that's all the savings we would get.

Even if I'm wrong on the above about cap hits, since this is the last year of the deal, there is no way to stretch the hit out further like there is if a player has multiple years left on his deal. When a player is cut, the entire remaining balance of his prorated bonus is due that season against your cap. With this being Brooking's final year, that cannot be extended and we'll take the exact same cap hit if he plays or if he's cut (not withstanding any roster bonuses he may have).

IF we renegotiate his deal and make it a 2 year deal to reduce cap hit this year, there are problems with it. Primarily the NFLPA will NOT allow Brooking to receive a lower valued contract now that what he currently has. The NFLPA, MLBPA, and other player unions know that this sets a bad precedence and do not approve those deals. So, what would end up happening is that we'd have a larger cap hit on Brooking in the following season than what we have this year. Basically, most of the money we owe Brooking this season, including roster bonus would be turned into a roster bonus that is divided over 2 seasons against the cap.