Jamaal Anderson's Progres

While I am as excited as everyone else about JA98 game last sunday, I don't think we will see that kind of performance again for a while.

I have taped the last 3 games and keyed in on how JA98 tries to get pressure on the QB. I feel the whole problem is HAND PLACEMENT. If you watch JA98 closely, the only way he tries to get pass Offensive Linemen is just to Bull Rush them and over power them. If an offensive Lineman gets his hand on you, because they are so big and strong, they usually neutralize their opponents.

However, if you watch John Abraham and some of the other DE's techniques, you will notice that they don't rely on brute strength. They use their hands well in, for a lack of better football lingo, swating away the Offensive Lineman's hands. That is EXACTLY why their is a trend in the NFL of Defensive Ends taking Martial Arts classes. Its all about not letting them get their hands on you because if they do, they usually can neutralize the Defensive End.

I don't know if anyone else have noticed the same thing or not.

That is exactly one of my major concerns. I'm sure the coaching staff has been working with him on this. Why isn't he implementing it yet? Is he slow or just stuborn?

If he's slow he could still learn it. If he's stubborn he won't be in the NFL too long.

While I am as excited as everyone else about JA98 game last sunday, I don't think we will see that kind of performance again for a while.

I have taped the last 3 games and keyed in on how JA98 tries to get pressure on the QB. I feel the whole problem is HAND PLACEMENT. If you watch JA98 closely, the only way he tries to get pass Offensive Linemen is just to Bull Rush them and over power them. If an offensive Lineman gets his hand on you, because they are so big and strong, they usually neutralize their opponents.

However, if you watch John Abraham and some of the other DE's techniques, you will notice that they don't rely on brute strength. They use their hands well in, for a lack of better football lingo, swating away the Offensive Lineman's hands. That is EXACTLY why their is a trend in the NFL of Defensive Ends taking Martial Arts classes. Its all about not letting them get their hands on you because if they do, they usually can neutralize the Defensive End.

Patience grasshopper he has a ways to go but I'll take any progress right now.

That is exactly one of my major concerns. I'm sure the coaching staff has been working with him on this. Why isn't he implementing it yet? Is he slow or just stuborn?

It's real easy when the guy across from you isn't using his hands. Getting his hands inside against an experienced offensive lineman will take time. It's a fight to see who can get their hands inside and keep them there. It's all about leverage and technique...

The guys blocking him are just more consistent at it than he is at it right now because they have more experience...

Trust me, the coaches are working with him on hand placement and technique...

I have hope that Anderson will start doing better maybe not against Philly but maybe against Oakland but there will be some very tough games after those two.

This is a little different look at things not looking at rushing but at tackles

Left side Right side

Anderson 16 Abraham 17

Grimes 31 Houston 16

Boley 26 Brooking 36

total 73 69

Anderson and Abraham are even there

Grimes and Boley seem to be on an even keel

but look at Houston and Brooking.

I know you can't read much into these stats because of the various assignments on each play but I just thought it was interesting.

I only looked at this because of something I read in another post.

Anderson looks slow off the snap, doesn't play through the whistle consistently, and generally lacks that killer instinct you want from a pass rusher. That said, he looks to be improving and there is still hope. He has the measurables and intelligence to be good. He was the epitomy of a raw prospect coming into the nfl- former TE with 2 years total in his life at the DE position. If we had a decent DL coach last year, I think he would have progressed much more.

Anderson had plenty pressure on Chicago. On a play after the sack he beat the tackle immediately and went around him,the tackle almost fell lol and The QB through it just before Jamaal could get to him. That was the best rush i've seen him get his whole career.

Anderson looks slow off the snap, doesn't play through the whistle consistently, and generally lacks that killer instinct you want from a pass rusher. That said, he looks to be improving and there is still hope. He has the measurables and intelligence to be good. He was the epitomy of a raw prospect coming into the nfl- former TE with 2 years total in his life at the DE position. If we had a decent DL coach last year, I think he would have progressed much more.

he's a former WR not TE.

I've been a bit reserved myself about JA but I'll give him kudos for a well played game last weekend. I think him getting his hands up on obvious passing downs now is a huge improvement as that guy's pretty tall for a DE and has long arms. Let's just hope that his improvement continues and that he does become a decent DE that can make a difference for us.

I'm more concerned about the fact that Anderson hasn't once beat his blocker and had the speed to get to the QB. He's had chances where he was unblocked or his blocker really screwed up and he had a wide open shot at the QB only to see the QB juke him out of his shoes or run away from him. I don't care if the QB can see you coming or not. If you can't outrun the QB then you wont make it as a DE.

Jamaal's technique is almost child like. It's really disappointing that his technique is still this primitive. He hasn't been a DE a really long time but he's been one for going on 5 years now. That should be long enough to learn some of the basics that he still struggles with. This is definitely an area you can coach up though. Unless he's really stupid or really stubborn he should show some improvement.

The sack Sunday was more what you see from a DT than a DE. He got off his block, tracked the QB, plugged a hole and let Abe chase Orton right into his arms. It was a good play...for a DT. Everything in his game Sunday screamed DT. You get more chances to get a hand on the ball at DT, his best play of the game, IMO, was a tackle in the middle of the field. He looks totally overmatched working in space but for some reason when he works in traffic in the middle of the field he does a much better job.

He seemed to show some agility Sunday I hadn't seen before. Maybe that's his problem. He has the agility to work in traffic but his lack of decent speed hurts him on the end. I say we move him inside. He's not an end but he may be a pretty good DT.

Aaron Rogers is not slow, Kyle Orton did a good job getting the ball out of his hands. Jack Delhomme did have to hold the ball long because they were picking on Grimes. Jamaal is getting better, I expect to see him get another sack on McNabb that first one is sometimes your hardest one. You have to remember that he was coached by a college D-line coach his first year, this is first year under a real Pro D-line coach. This d-line coach help turn Abraham into the player that he is today. The coaches don't have a problem with Anderson play then I don't either.

Well, for the most part you are right, but this year we've seen a massive development in terms of moves that JA98 has tried to put on while on the field. He's showed a spin, a rip, the bullrush and a shoulder dip. 3 of these 4 things he didn't use last year at all. He is developing, the biggest problem was you could tell he was overthinking everything and he was actually very quick to get INTO the Tackles, which is bad, because the fact they can just wrap up on you. So that's what I think you're noticing is he does let them dominate him a lot of times, but what to watch is how he goes from this point forward, because in this last game he was a totally different player. Not because of the sack, but leading up to the sack.